E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Navigation Availability

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 01:18 PM

E60 built Nov03 will include Nav pre-wire harness.
Once the Spring 04 productions include the Nav,
BMNA will make retrofit kits available subsequnetly, at same cost i was informed.

Those built post Nov03 / pre Spring04 production,
will require a cockpit removal and insertion of larger screen and voice button near iDrive. Lot less work than installing a wiring harness. Don't know if dealerships will charge extra for labor, i was informed not.

Those built prior to Nov03 production...don't know ?
Old 11-07-2003, 05:27 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

I was told that this retrofit does not include labor, and any labor costs will be the customer's responsibility to pay. His rationale...it is always easier and the labor costs are minimal when installing on the line during build.

I am waiting until March to order.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:33 PM
Members

Hmm. So it seems that nav retro kit will be the same (bigger) screen, and the extra button near idrive, so it looks like it'll be more or less just like the factory installed one.

Now, what about the HUD?
Old 11-08-2003, 03:13 PM

Aaron,
building on the line is always prefered if one can wait. I agree there is no official memo i have seen yet about the retrofit, so th dealer install memo is an unknown...but at least the option is being prices no differently.

HUD, no idea as too if dealer can do anything...BUT...one thing worth noting is that it would need some kind of coating on the front glass and that is something i would not do at a dealer unless the entire window glass is replaced. Also the glass would relate to higher insurance costs.
Old 11-08-2003, 06:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

Just curious as to why it would need a special coating. I don't think the windows on the Grand Prix and other GM platforms that used the basic hud (speed and other small details) had any special window treatment, but then again, with the level of detail that BMW is trying to project onto the window, maybe you are right.
Old 11-09-2003, 11:31 AM
Members

HUD also requires a special dashboard with a cutout for the display projection as well as an airvent to prevent fogging of the window.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:32 PM
Members

I am getting mixed messages about the availability of the NAV. Dealer tells me that cars manufactured after Nov 1 will be pre-wired for the NAV. That is great!

However, when I contact BMW corporate they tell me that nothing is promised even with the pre-wire - if they can they can (Meaning screwed if they can't).

Note: I have the Mercedes E500 and was screwed once already with the Nav and so I am afraid of getting this car. So I think I will just wait until March 2004 to order this car with all the options (Nav, HUD etc.)
Old 11-19-2003, 01:06 PM

BMWNA has stated that effective Nov production, cars will inlcude the wiring harness that is rquired to install the NAV retrofit kit that will become available in/after spring 04 (given that NAV is on schedule for march 04 production).
The cost of this retrofit kit/option will be the same as listed on the BMWNA site.

Of course, the above is stated and in some case written input to dealerships/customers from BMWNA officicals.
If that cannot be met, it will result in a huge disappointment and possibe unpleasantness.
If you can wait, then do so, else ask your dealership to show you of any BMW memo stating the above or for some guarantee that makes you comfortable.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:46 PM
Members

I have the following on order for Dec 14 delivery.

2004 545 Silver Gray
Black interior
Sports,
Premium Sound
Window Shades
Park Distance Control

If the dealer cannot give me something in writing then I will just wait until March 2004.

Thanks
AAM