E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 03:35 AM
sj3
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sg530: Here in NJ, my Nav has been giving me plenty of warning and seems accurate down to about 10-15 feet! I'm not kidding. It's taken me lots of places I've never been before and would have no idea how to get to. It's possible, I would think, that a specific area may be 'offset' a bit, making look like an accuracy issue. I'm not sure what to tell you about the amount of warning you get; it's always been plenty for me, and I want plenty of warning! I.e. 2 feet before a turn is NOT plenty of warning if that's the first time I've been told. Don't forget, the thing gives out a far-out warning, a get-ready warning, and a do-it-here 'command'.

Sam
Old 07-16-2004, 07:10 PM
Contributors

Ok, I work on a military base where missile testing is done among other things. This may account for the lost signals as suggested without a clue where I worked.

As for the inacuracy, it was never as good as the other post claimed. The pointer is always behind my actual position by 50-150 feet or 15-50 meters for the eurasian half of the members. In rural areas it doesn't matter, but in a city where a pair of streets are sometimes 100 feet apart, following the nav in traffic forces one to go around the block or as happened with me, almost turn the wrong way on a one way street.

Could there be a correction to be made? Do others have my experience?

I have aonther gps and they read the same but the displayed position is not detailed enough for this level of resolution that is in question. The gps reading improves as one waits, but the bmw nav doesn't change over time that I can tell.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:46 PM
Senior Members

I dont have my 545 yet but the NAV on my wife's chrysler town & country is accurate to about 10 - 20 feet. It has occasional glitches but allows for restaurant and looking up POA's. I hope software updates can make the BMW NAV work as well as system in a $28K minivan.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:47 AM
Senior Members

The only correction is to have the dealership check and see that the antenna is not defective... On the non-i drive cars there is a very easy way to get sat data + almanac. As soon as I get my E60 I will dig around to see if there is any way to do this (there has to be as I don't see a dealership taking a unit connected to OBD-II if there are any issues...)
Old 07-17-2004, 01:29 PM
Senior Members

The NAV tells me wrong directions all the time. Because the same # and named streets in adjacent towns.
Old 07-17-2004, 01:43 PM
Senior Members

I also had my Nav system lock up with the HUD symbol not changing until I turned off the car and restarted. I think there are software bugs that one has to keep an eye on from time to time to make certain that you've got the right info and visuals coming at you.

I don't know if you guys found this, but one excellent feature I discovered is to 'zoom out' from the close-up screen view on the I-drive display. It seems like the display has a default to show 200 meters in view at one time (I haven't used it yet with miles, since only ED driven in Europe).

However by turning the I-drive puck, you can zoom out and zoom in and thereby view the entire route at a glance to assure you've got the proper routing basically. I've also gone to the display mode that lets you view the calculated route by list and it shows a list view of each and every turn and the distance of the segments with road names as well.
Old 07-17-2004, 03:20 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tdocz' date='Jul 17 2004, 03:29 PM
The NAV tells me wrong directions all the time. Because the same # and named streets in adjacent towns.
In cities where this is likely always view the destination map.... Would be nice if we could enter zipcodes THEN the address... Like some Europe nav systems allow. Adds a nice assurance that you are getting directions to the right part of town and not some street that exists in town twice.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:08 AM
Senior Members

on a couple of occasions she has gone strange: once exiting a motorway to the roundabout and then back on to the same motorway and another time taking me into and back out of a business park and then continuing correctly...

she seems to get the 'vapours' at times!
Old 07-18-2004, 07:18 PM
Contributors

I just reviewed the Technical data submitted by jmcaiado re CCC and it describes that Nav system in there. What is so significant are words that say the accuracy of the navigation improves over time, like during a long trip. It loses accuracy if moved on a train over 300 miles or from the manufacturer, or if left off over a week, and has to relearn things!
Now isn't that special? (said like Church Lady, nevermind to the non-US people)
When were we supposed to find that out?
Old 07-19-2004, 10:01 AM

Quick question: I have been away from the board for a while -- is the nav system still incompatible with the satellite radio option? Is satellite available? JK

Quick Reply: Navigation