E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Navigation

Old 05-18-2004, 06:56 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this photo and description about the Prof. Nav system allowing flexibility in the display in conjunction with other features such as radio display.

Has anyone else found that to be configurable between nav display and other functions? I had heard that it might not be possible, and wondered if it is working and supported in all country versions.....
Attached Thumbnails Navigation-navradio.jpg  
Old 05-18-2004, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

It's possible in a limited way.

There are two panes. The left pane is 2/3rds of the screen and the right pane is the the last third.

Think of the left pane as the same screen that the non-nav (or business nav) cars have. The right pane has a limited amount of choices you can display on it.

Off the top of my head, in the right pane you can select things like Trip Computer, On Board Data, Nav Map facing North, Nav Map facing direction of travel, Nav directional arrows, and Current location. (There may be some others but that's all I can think of for now.)

You can display the two maps on the left pane if you want a bigger map but the other things can only be displayed on the right (or you can turn the right pane off if you wish.)

So, it is possible to have the radio, climate, telephone, or other vehicle settings displayed on the left while the right displays a map or directional arrow, etc. (You can't get radio, etc. in the right, only the left.)

Since I have HUD, I can use it for my directional arrows so I put either the map or trip computer on the right during a trip. Sometimes I find it nice to have a big map on the left and the trip computer on the right (while keeping the arrow display in the HUD).

Overall, it's a great system with tremendous flexibility.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

[So, it is possible to have the radio, climate, telephone, or other vehicle settings displayed on the right while the left displays a map or directional arrow, etc. (You can't get radio, etc. in the right, only the left.)]

Rudy,

I don't think you meant to put radio in the first sentence of this quote. I think I get what you are trying to say. Can you get climate, telephone, etc. on the right or are those restricted to the left as well?
Old 05-18-2004, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

Okay, so I got my left and right mixed up while typing....

I corrected the sentence to say what I originally meant. The bottom line is that the right panel is limited, the left panel can display most everything.

Sorry for the confusion!
Old 05-19-2004, 03:11 AM
Senior Members

hey guys, thanks for the info. I'm glad it allows some flex with multiple things in view on the screen. I still think it would be great to be able to have some things in view at will; like an oil guage or water temp???? in the screen when wanted....
Old 05-19-2004, 04:39 AM
sj3
Senior Members

I would love to hear more re: peoples' experiences with voice control of Nav. What kinds of things can you do with it? Can anyone relay any experiences? I haven't had time to get in to voice control except trying to set radio frequencies which, so far, hasn't worked very well for me (I'm from Cleveland, so I don't think it's an accent!). Thanks in advance.

Sam
Old 05-19-2004, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

Are you saying Clevelanders don't have an accent? They most certainly do!

All kidding aside, I doubt its an accent problem. I've had varying degrees of success with voice control as well. Haven't played with it enough to be able to say much else. For me, I think my problems are a combination of new software coupled with an new user still learning what to say and when to say it.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:21 AM
Senior Members

I can just envision my 9 year old son taking control of the car with the voice commands. I have to train it to not rcogniz ehis voice.