E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nav question

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 04:40 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 530i sport, Titanium Silver

Hello,

I haven't had Nav on any of my last three 5'ers (one E39 and two E60's). My question is this - do you get regular updates to the map DVD from BMW or is that something you have to pay for?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bryan

P.S. I'm in the U.S. if that makes a difference.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Auto, monaco blue met., black Dakota leather, burl walnut trim, sport package, active steering, Navi, HUD, cold weather package, comfort access, heated rear seats, rear sunshades, rear side air bags, rear deck spoiler, Logic 7 w/CD changer,
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by bceverly' post='417404' date='Apr 24 2007, 08:40 PM
Hello,

I haven't had Nav on any of my last three 5'ers (one E39 and two E60's). My question is this - do you get regular updates to the map DVD from BMW or is that something you have to pay for?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bryan

P.S. I'm in the U.S. if that makes a difference.
You'll get the original DVD with your car and after that you're on your own. Updated versions can be ordered from Navtec. Not sure about the price, but the DVD for Euro delivery was $165 + S&H + tax. US DVD's are probably in the same range. I believe they come out twice a year. However, I don't think you need each and every update. I probably won't order an update until I get lost with my old one.

Alternatively, if you know someone who has a newer version (make sure it's the correct type - Prof or Business) ask him to make you a copy. This works very well. I copied my original DVD and use only the copy.

Felix
Old 04-24-2007, 05:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

Originally Posted by Felix' post='417417' date='Apr 24 2007, 09:02 PM
You'll get the original DVD with your car and after that you're on your own. Updated versions can be ordered from Navtec. Not sure about the price, but the DVD for Euro delivery was $165 + S&H + tax. US DVD's are probably in the same range. I believe they come out twice a year. However, I don't think you need each and every update. I probably won't order an update until I get lost with my old one.

Alternatively, if you know someone who has a newer version (make sure it's the correct type - Prof or Business) ask him to make you a copy. This works very well. I copied my original DVD and use only the copy.

Felix
Bryan - You can check the NavTeq site for the latest updates for the NAV system. The last time I looked, a new DVD was $199 (plus tax and delivery probably). Having used Garmin systems for the last couple of years, I think a map update is really only necessary every couple of years, unless roads change a lot in your area. I think updating purely for the sake of getting updated points of interest is a waste of money.

As to a more sinister issue, making a copy of a DVD you own, and giving/selling it to another person is a violation of Federal copyright law. Will you get caught? Probably not. Is it wrong? Yes. You decide how ethically challenged you might be...