E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Name that Clunk!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 06:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i, platinum gray with cream beige dakota leather, premium, sport, comfort access, navigation, heated seats, sport auto with paddles, premium sound, sat radio, ipod

My 08 535 produces a singular "clunk" or "pop" near the driver's side front wheel each time I slow to a stop. Happens when slowing from speed at around 5 mph each time it clunks. Only tends to do it when the car has been driven and then has sat to cool for a few hours (like when driving home after work). Is mostly intermittent, but more reliable at end of day after car has sat as descibed.

Dealer has driven it three seperate times but they can't duplicate. They checked all suspension and brake parts and report all is tight and looks good. I am incredibly frustrated. It's like the ghost only I can see!

Still, she clunks for me nearly every afternoon and off and on all day! I am about to go crazy (and I am sure my dealer is already convinced I am).

Any ideas? Anyone else with this?
Old 03-04-2010, 06:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

i'd guess it's brake related. maybe the pads are shifting a little.
i've seen it happen on an older car of mine.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport (6-speed)

Happens only when you apply the brakes at low speed? No bumps on the road? I was going to say, the area where the springs sit. I believe there's a pad, if the pad is missing, it could cause a clunk when the suspension travels over a speed bump or just rough road surfaces. I had this on my Honda WAY back when I was in college.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i M sport

Originally Posted by wantmye90
My 08 535 produces a singular "clunk" or "pop" near the driver's side front wheel each time I slow to a stop. Happens when slowing from speed at around 5 mph each time it clunks. Only tends to do it when the car has been driven and then has sat to cool for a few hours (like when driving home after work). Is mostly intermittent, but more reliable at end of day after car has sat as descibed.

Dealer has driven it three seperate times but they can't duplicate. They checked all suspension and brake parts and report all is tight and looks good. I am incredibly frustrated. It's like the ghost only I can see!

Still, she clunks for me nearly every afternoon and off and on all day! I am about to go crazy (and I am sure my dealer is already convinced I am).

Any ideas? Anyone else with this?
Does it happen when braking fir the first time in a particular direction...in other words when you go into reverse for the first time you hear it then not again until you go forward the first time? I had that where if I did that, the noise would only occur during the first braking then fine after that...test it when you get a chance...reverse a few feet then brake then forward and brake, then continue in forward to see if it goes away. (should hear it twice when doing this with brakes shifting in each direction). I had that and it drove me nuts. It was my brake pads shifting and once they were changed...never happened again.

good luck