E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

N52 100k tune-up w/ Interesting DISA twist. Couple Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 06:54 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Indeed. It's basically a clusterfuck of over-enginering. And like you said, the symptoms are all over the place. It wasn't until I got all of it fixed, unerstood the mechanics of the engine displacement and operating design, and some time to put it all toegether, did I realize what you have: the system is at fault, and rarely the driver or maintenance not performed. How would we know that the DISA system(s) were in trouble? I got no engine code, and truth be told, didn't really notice any difference until AFTER it was fixed. Kin of like "Oh yeah, there's a major difference in the powerband now. How the hell did I not notice it?" . But it was muddled by other "helpers" along the way that masked the problem, and didn't resolve it, if anything caused other systems to fail. Just bad inherint design for something so important.

Truth be told, however, I am seriously considering an ESS Supercharcher (and probably would be buying now, had it not been for this crazy maintenance) which would actually improve the exhaust system of the e60. It's all quite complex, but the ESS tune includes a better airflow calculation before the exhaust vents the air, and thus, less "rich" air is pushed through the exhaust. There are also headers for my e60, but SUPER expensive. like 17k for the set. I think they're Sprint? Going S/C with headers would be an ultimate mod, but not cheap. I'm in m5 territory with power and performance, but also cost. This would effectively bypass this "weak-link" of engineering on the car, but it's the cost of a decent used e60. 25-20k for parts alone. The S/C is 10-13k.

This, ultimately will be what I do. I am re-couping spending cash for the rest of the year, however, and now that I don't have much maintenance costs on her right now (had to buy new rims a few weeks ago, seized brake caliper last weekend, it's always something) I'm not looking at this for a year or so. I'm also fortunate that I have another car that I enjoy driving; and although it needs a new steering rack-I use it to keep the mileage down on my e60.

You might want to look into a cobb tune or maybe even a Eurospeed or Dinan software tune. I'm not entirely certain, but I think some of the emissions algorithms and thresholds are part of the tune and I suspect you might get better day-to-day function out of the Exhaust/Intake/Cat system. It's not guaranteed, but if you can find someone @ one of the providers, who's technical, you might be able to get an idea of what's getting changed.

The other option, is like me, maybe some headers. No idea about these on an n52 - but I can't imagine they're in the 15-20k arena like my v8. You're a 530, so no induction, right? Just a traditional NA v6?
Old 06-30-2013, 02:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i Alpine White with Navi and Premium PackageIn progress: OEM Mtech kit, H&R Sport Springs, and 19

Atl530, has your mpg's recovered?
Old 03-10-2018, 05:55 PM
New Members

My Ride: 530xi 6sp
Model Year: 2006

sorry to bump but DISA issues are under-discussed here..