E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A mystery fan noise...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 03:37 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i Well equipped. Let the mods begin!

My 2007 550i w 43k miles has started making a curious fan noise.

This is a steady fan/blower sound and comes-on at unpredictable intervals...but once I start hearing it, it stays on.

I have turned-off all temp controls, fan off, no cd's spinning,etc...and there it is...Rrrrrrrrrr.

It is definitely coming from somewhere behind the dash on the passenger side of the cabin. No air is blowing, no smells, just this annoying sound...not horribly loud, but you can definitely hear it.

Any ideas what this might be??

Thanks!

-SG
Old 12-13-2010, 04:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

how loud?
with engine on?
how about when engine is off? key out?

could be the ccc nav unit behind the dash, but that is in the center.
there are several modules and bunch of other elctronics behind the glove box.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:51 PM
Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
how loud?
with engine on?

Just sounds like a blower fan on med-high not crazy loud, not "squealy", just steady low fan hum. The radio at normal listening levels drown most of the sound out but you can still hear it.

Only runs when car is either running or ignition on. When turn off, it runs for 15 seconds or so then stops.

It's comfort access so the key is never in.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

I have the exact same symptom on my '08 E60. Annoying. It's on and off, but when it starts, it stays on for a while. Any input on how to fix this without going to the dealer, would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:27 AM
Members

Originally Posted by louveres
I have the exact same symptom on my '08 E60. Annoying. It's on and off, but when it starts, it stays on for a while. Any input on how to fix this without going to the dealer, would be greatly appreciated.
I will post the response from the shop when I get it in there. I have a great service rep at the dealer...of course, the know me well due to this darn car (which is the finest automobile I have owned to-date). ;^)

It's just a bummer that I need to sell 'er soon (moving).
Old 12-14-2010, 05:35 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sgnden
I will post the response from the shop when I get it in there. I have a great service rep at the dealer...of course, the know me well due to this darn car (which is the finest automobile I have owned to-date). ;^)

It's just a bummer that I need to sell 'er soon (moving).

there is a fan on the back of the DVD / Radio module in the dash it could be that.. easy check would be to pull the fuse for the radio / dvd drive and see if the fan noise is still there, save you / them stripping down the car to diagnose the fault
Old 12-14-2010, 09:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jay77
there is a fan on the back of the DVD / Radio module in the dash it could be that.. easy check would be to pull the fuse for the radio / dvd drive and see if the fan noise is still there, save you / them stripping down the car to diagnose the fault
i think its that , I also have a fan noise sometimes and was wondering why when nothing is running....that must be a pretty strong fan back there.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 07' 550i Options: Titanium Gray, STEPTRONIC 6-Speed, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Active Stering, Power Rear Sun Shade, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Alcantara Headliner, Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, Navigation, Heads-up Display, HD Radio, Satellite Radio, Logic 7 Sound w/ CD Changer, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Folding Rear Seats with Ski Bag, Park Distance Control, Bluetooth Options: MTech Bumpers, Sprint Booster V2, RPi Scoop, Clear Bra, K&N Drop-in Filter, Predator ICE V3 Angel Eyes

I asked about the same noise a while back. My SA said that it was a fan for the main control unit which is behind the glove box. I might have this wrong as to whether it?s the CPU or the NAV unit but either way they told me it was normal. Whichever unit it was created a lot of heat so they need a decent size fan to cool it off.
It sucks to hear the fan going when the radio is low or off but if that is my biggest complaint I think I?m doing pretty well.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by turboawd
how loud?
with engine on?

I think you're right, the newer CCC units do have a fan (they had a problem with them overheating in 04 models). The fan is located on the passenger's side of the CCC at the back and it will come on whenever the CCC gets heated.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:19 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Robb924
I asked about the same noise a while back. My SA said that it was a fan for the main control unit which is behind the glove box. I might have this wrong as to whether it?s the CPU or the NAV unit but either way they told me it was normal. Whichever unit it was created a lot of heat so they need a decent size fan to cool it off.
It sucks to hear the fan going when the radio is low or off but if that is my biggest complaint I think I?m doing pretty well.
+1, my SA told me the exact same thing when I had them look at it. said it was completely normal. if they do have a "fix" for it now, let us know so i can complain some more.....