E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Mysterious rattle

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 12:07 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all

I have my 520d for around 6 months now - happy with everything except for 2 little rattles (not loud but annoying) - one appears to be coming from the glass/covering in front of the speedo etc. When I put pressure on the covering or on the button to reset the trip mileage, it stops.

The other appears to be coming from around the back seats/boot area - but difficult to pinpoint. I have emptied everything out of the car and the rattle remains. Again it is small and dont really notice it with the radio on, but yet it is annoying

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Cheers
Old 12-18-2006, 01:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bazzman' post='368596' date='Dec 18 2006, 03:07 AM
Hi all

I have my 520d for around 6 months now - happy with everything except for 2 little rattles (not loud but annoying) - one appears to be coming from the glass/covering in front of the speedo etc. When I put pressure on the covering or on the button to reset the trip mileage, it stops.

The other appears to be coming from around the back seats/boot area - but difficult to pinpoint. I have emptied everything out of the car and the rattle remains. Again it is small and dont really notice it with the radio on, but yet it is annoying

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Cheers
Yes to both <_< On the first one, I just slide something (a thick piece of paper will do) in between the base and the glass covering the speedo. Problem solved. On the second, and in my case, it turned out to be lose parts in the rear speaker assembly, had the dealer took it apart and reassembled it with everything tightened, then problem also solved. Hope it helps.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 March E60 530i, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather, Style 124 18" Alloy, Active Steering, Adaptive headlights, Auto-Dim Int+Folding Ext Mirrors, Auto Aircon Advanced, Brushed Aluminium Trim, CD Changer, Comfort Seats, De-Chrome, Dynamic Drive, Electric Glass Sun Roof, Graduate Tinted Windscreen, Heated Front Seats, Natvigation Professional, Sport Steering wheel, Sun Protection Glass, TV function

Same here! On the first one, I did the same as BunBun. On the second one, the dealer put some foam rubber in the area between the parcel shelf and the boot area. It went ok for a week but it came back after a while. The noise sounds like suspension rattle but the dealer checked my suspension condition and am told they are ok. These noise drive me nuts!!
Old 12-19-2006, 05:30 AM
Members

Cheers Guys - its comforting that I am not the only one with the problem. Ideally I'd like to get the dealer to fix both problems but in the meantime the temporary fix with the piece of paper/cardboard might do the trick on the front one