E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY05 changed runflat tire pressure recs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 09:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545Ai, Silver grey, black, poplar, Sport Pkg, Logic 7, Comfort seats, Nav, HUD, PDC, rear shades, and satellite radio

Having been following the threads for quite a while I can recall quite a few people posting the recommended pressure for the 545 with Dunlap runflats was posted on the doorjamb as 32/38.

Tonight I checked my tire pressures and found them not equal on several of the wheels. I went to double check the door sticker prior to inflation and was surprised to not find the same convoluted table listing different loads with different tires as pictured in the user manual and on all my previous BMWs. In it's place I found a white colored label listing one simple pressure for each of front/back and spare. There was no longer a picture of four people and another of five and suitcases.

The thing that gets me, and the point of this question was the tire pressure recommended on the door frame is 36/44 . I double checked the user manual that came with the car and it said the lower pressure that others have mentioned. The manual is the 2004 manual. Could BMW have changed their inflation recommendations for the 18" runflats?
Old 11-21-2004, 10:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

I have a MY2005 as well, but my doorjamb indicates 32/28 for my 18"...
Old 11-22-2004, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

28 sounds awful low.

Here is the pic JDN posted of the chart a while ago in this thread.

firewired, I'd love to see a pic of the MY05 sticker, if you get a chance...
Old 11-22-2004, 06:14 AM
JDN
Contributors

Andy, I run 32 front, 35 rear except on rare occasions when I may be fully loaded. On those occasions I run 42 in the rear. If you are running 28 in the rear, that seems pretty light pressure to me. I cannot imagine what cause such a difference in door jamb info between the US and the Netherlands. I would ask for confirmation of the recommendation on the door jamb plate.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 545Ai, Silver grey, black, poplar, Sport Pkg, Logic 7, Comfort seats, Nav, HUD, PDC, rear shades, and satellite radio

Rudy,

The picture you posted is the pressure chart that I am used to seeing on my BMWs. Here is the tire pressure chart from my doorjamb:
Attached Thumbnails MY05 changed runflat tire pressure recs?-tirepress.jpg  
Old 11-22-2004, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Thanks firewired.

I'm betting that BMW "dumbed down" the sticker (at least for the US market) since the other one can lead to some confusion with all the symbols, etc. It looks as if they're sort of combining the two load rating pressures into one "all purpose" one but either way, it seems they are recommending increased pressure in the rear with the 18" sport package tires...
Old 11-22-2004, 06:57 AM
Members

How does having the runflats inflated to a higher pressure effect the handling versus ride comfort?
Old 11-22-2004, 07:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by andy545' date='Nov 22 2004, 01:40 AM
I have a MY2005 as well, but my doorjamb indicates 32/28 for my 18"...
[snapback]59206[/snapback]
Andreas, how much is that in bars? Thanks man!
Old 11-22-2004, 07:59 AM
Contributors

We need to get an answer on this.. It is very important, not only in ride quality, but equally, if not more important to Tire wear.

Anyone have a reliable service center to talk with? there might be a reason for the change. I have noticed that the increase in pressure does NOT effect the ride, since the tires are so damn hard anyway. but if that is what is needed to properly care for the tires, than so be it.

Let's find out!
Old 11-22-2004, 09:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by wassy' date='Nov 22 2004, 10:59 AM
We need to get an answer on this.. It is very important, not only in ride quality, but equally, if not more important to Tire wear.?

Anyone have a reliable service center to talk with?? there might be a reason for the change. I have noticed that the increase in pressure does NOT effect the ride, since the tires are so damn hard anyway.? but if that is what is needed to properly care for the tires, than so be it.

Let's find out!
[snapback]59343[/snapback]
That is exactly what I was wondering. I wondered if they "dumbed" down the door label because of confusion or changed the pressure recommendation for one of the many problems that people were having with the runflats.

My local dealer doesn't seem to have noticed the pressure change and my tires seemed to have been inflated to the 30/36 ballpark for delivery.

Quick Reply: MY05 changed runflat tire pressure recs?