E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My Take on The Refresher

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 10:50 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s
Talking

The refresh covered many items including styling and equipment. IHMO, here is my take.

Highs

DI twin-turbo inline 6
Sport suspension tuning for the 550i
Sports steptronic tranny for the 550i
Higher Quality Material
Color Choices

The mildly interesting
Updated NAV
LEDs

Uninteresting

Exterior Styling
M-sport look

Great news for 535 fans as the new engine makes the E60 tops in its class and equally great news for 550i fans with the new tranny likely resulting in quicker acceleration. Also, the new suspension tuning could be really sporty. Other pluses include the color options, as that Auburn (Orange) color finally meets its end. Wished the Brown was available when I ordered. The newer beige color is better too.

As for the exterior, not much changed and reflects a typical BMW refresh and retains the Bangle. The lower rockers should please many as these look M-Sport like. The rear end thing around the license plate looks stupid and the chrome piece by the lower front fascia isn?t keeping with a sporty look. Of course seeing the car in the flesh is a must.

Oddly, for me the 550i sport package creates questions. The 19s (172's I think) aren?t my favorites but, to be honest, I'm no fan of the M-Sport look. I?m a rare bird on that point. Like the original stock look drawing little attention. Assume BMW is compensating for the 550i as the 535 closes the performance gap. Lexus didn?t do anything with its GS430.

As for the interior, the center shifter looks nifty but does it blends with the car? I say know. But we all know the existing stepup look real cheap. That said, a little too much Lexus and 3 series elements going on here. The present buttons clutter things. Can't we all flick that Idrive? I assume many have learned to flick over stations and there aren't that many presets anyway. I enjoy not touching the dash. Doing way with the door handles makes sense because if gives more leg room to the side. But, I like the controls high on the door where I see them. The lower mounted position seemed more cumbersome to operate (tried this sitting in a 3 series). The seat upgrade was needed for sure, as the stock seat was a criminal offense for a $50+ car.

In sum, a very good refresh on the technical side. Good to see BMW pushing ahead and upgrading the engine, tranny, and suspension in certain spots. In terms of appearance and style, it arguable to say BMW made no errors and the changes will suit a broader audience. If your buying the E60 this has to be good news. In terms of the final WOW factor, I need to see the car in the fresh. Right now, I?m still waiting for the F10.

My two cents.

CVT Benhogan
Old 01-11-2007, 02:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quite right not to mention the economy and emissions improvements!

ABC