E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My new wheels on my 530i !!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 07:47 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by tgm001
Thanks guys !!!! yeah, I'm planning to buy an M5 bumper, plus black kdney grill, M5 mirror, an quad exhaust, maybe the RPI one..and yes for sur an rpi scoop ! ....yeah the last picture, is the wheel with the mounting soap LOL,, and Yes I did stretch my tires, to get the new european style called Stance !!!
Hmm ok. I have 275 on my rear 10" rims and they stretch as I'm willing to take them. I ride sport bikes and see guys streching their swingarms and adding a 300 tire to the rear, doesn't help the bike and is probably a pre-cursor to death. It may look nice but you sacrifice perfomance. When you drive at "extreme" speeds (we'll say 100-125 although that's normal for some of us) the force pulls your tire inwards AWAY from the rim....exactly where you don't have room and if you have to take a hard turn you take a chance of popping that bead.
Also if your tire gets low on air you're riding on straight sidewall and there's no way to save the tire after that...or the rim for that matter. The upside to that is at least you'll know that you have a flat probably before your tire sensors pick it up. Looks nice, not safe. If I were you, I would definitely drop the car to keep the car a bit safer. To each his own.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:36 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Bmw E60 530i 2004 Jet Black sport package on Linea Corse 19" Lc818 Saphire Black

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Hmm ok. I have 275 on my rear 10" rims and they stretch as I'm willing to take them. I ride sport bikes and see guys streching their swingarms and adding a 300 tire to the rear, doesn't help the bike and is probably a pre-cursor to death. It may look nice but you sacrifice perfomance. When you drive at "extreme" speeds (we'll say 100-125 although that's normal for some of us) the force pulls your tire inwards AWAY from the rim....exactly where you don't have room and if you have to take a hard turn you take a chance of popping that bead.
Also if your tire gets low on air you're riding on straight sidewall and there's no way to save the tire after that...or the rim for that matter. The upside to that is at least you'll know that you have a flat probably before your tire sensors pick it up. Looks nice, not safe. If I were you, I would definitely drop the car to keep the car a bit safer. To each his own.
Damn I did not know that !! You might be true, but I live in Montreal,, trust me you don't wanna drive fast with all our holes,etc haha, but I think I will drop it, for the safety as you said, and for the look ! Still, I don't think is so dangerous to have them stretch a lot of people here in montreal and in europe do that...
Old 09-25-2011, 08:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 525xi

I don't have much knowledge in the topic. so pardon if it's an elementary question: What does dropping/lowering the car (same thing, right?) have to do with the safety of stretched tires?
Old 09-25-2011, 08:52 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Bmw E60 530i 2004 Jet Black sport package on Linea Corse 19" Lc818 Saphire Black

Originally Posted by Ricapar
I don't have much knowledge in the topic. so pardon if it's an elementary question: What does dropping/lowering the car (same thing, right?) have to do with the safety of stretched tires?
Yeah it's the same thing,,,and I think dropping the car help the safety of stretched tires, cuz it's helps the handling or something like that..
Old 09-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Ricapar
I'm gonna take a shot in the dark. I maybe wrong... My guess is leverage. At stock height, if you take a constant corner at a constant rate of speed, there's a chance that the higher center of gravity of the car can lean more and can pull the stretched tire right off the rim. However, if the car is lowered and still going at the same speed and same corner, the car's center of gravity is lowered and the car wouldn't lean so much so it lessens the chance of the tire coming off the rim. Sort of like a see-saw where using a longer pole on one end can lift the other end at the opposite side of the fulcrum easier.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:10 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW

BTW, looks great. Those wheels look alot like Miro 111.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:27 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by balbs
I'm gonna take a shot in the dark. I maybe wrong... My guess is leverage. At stock height, if you take a constant corner at a constant rate of speed, there's a chance that the higher center of gravity of the car can lean more and can pull the stretched tire right off the rim. However, if the car is lowered and still going at the same speed and same corner, the car's center of gravity is lowered and the car wouldn't lean so much so it lessens the chance of the tire coming off the rim. Sort of like a see-saw where using a longer pole on one end can lift the other end at the opposite side of the fulcrum easier.
LOL, right on the money. Just look at F1 cars, Ferari, lambo etc. You will see the sidewall stretched stock...I mean not like THAT but stretched a bit but their suspension is also tight. Tight and low. This is the secret behind Audi/Volks group's "porsche" ...amazing handling due to those circumstances.
On the flip side....I was riding my bike on the track with an experience rider back in 05 and he decided to put a 200 tire on....stock was 190. The extra tire messed his stability up on an easy curb and he ate it. So it was sort of the opposite. The engineers have a good balance of things...after all they want the best products so they can sell more.

The wheels do look sweet though. As long as you're taking it easy then shouldn't be any issue. For me though? never
Old 09-26-2011, 04:18 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great. I wish I could see concave wheels driving around. Nobody around here has any (except me) and I can't really see how well they look when moving. Love the look when sitting still, though.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:11 AM
jgt
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60
Engine: N52

Can you post your tire brand and sizes?
Old 09-26-2011, 01:23 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by balbs
BTW, looks great. Those wheels look alot like Miro 111.

LOL, right on the money. Just look at F1 cars, Ferari, lambo etc. You will see the sidewall stretched stock...I mean not like THAT but stretched a bit but their suspension is also tight. Tight and low. This is the secret behind Audi/Volks group's "porsche" ...amazing handling due to those circumstances.
On the flip side....I was riding my bike on the track with an experience rider back in 05 and he decided to put a 200 tire on....stock was 190. The extra tire messed his stability up on an easy curb and he ate it. So it was sort of the opposite. The engineers have a good balance of things...after all they want the best products so they can sell more.

The wheels do look sweet though. As long as you're taking it easy then shouldn't be any issue. For me though? never
Originally Posted by aharper
Looks great. I wish I could see concave wheels driving around. Nobody around here has any (except me) and I can't really see how well they look when moving. Love the look when sitting still, though.

Originally Posted by jgt
Can you post your tire brand and sizes?
Thanks guys !!! They are more more concavee than the miro !! lol and yeah they look awsome in real !! Theses wheels are Linea Corse 818 staggered , 19x9.5 (front) and 19x11 (rear). They are on a set of Bridgestones Potenza RE760 Sport 245/35/19 (front) and 275/30/19 (rear)!

Quick Reply: My new wheels on my 530i !!!