E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

MY NEW RIDE IS HERE!! -- pics & first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 03:43 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

I took delivery of my new ride on Friday last week... AND OBSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!
Obviously I went out driving in it straight away, took a few pics (bad weather unfortunately) but then ended up ill in bed for a few days - however not because of the car! Anyway, back on line now and have just finished a 1000km trip, so can give some initial impressions...

Overview of specs
Its a 525d Auto, full M-Sport pack, Carbon Black on Natural Brown Dakota Leather with Black High-Gloss Trim. The rims are my new winter set-up; 19" OEM type 128 on non-RFT Continental rubber. (The full options list is in my signature below.)

Engine, Gearbox & Performance:
Coming from a 4cyl Manual 163ps to a 6cyl auto 197ps, some of these comments are going to be a little obvious, but here they come none the less. The power delivery is much smoother, relaxed and constant. The acceleration from a standing start is instant, with the full 400Nm torque being available from 1300rpm and it really throws you back in the seat. The performance differences between the 520d (163ps) and 525d (197ps) on paper compared with real life driving are subjectively very different IMHO, i.e. not as close.

I have been keeping it below 3000 rpm most of the time, but simply couldn't resist booting it at least once or twice up through the revs , taking it up to 3500rpm in 6th and comfortably hit 240km/h on the dial. That experience showed that the car pulls very well up to 180km/h and then consistently after that, but not with as much kick. It will be interesting to see how it performs after around 5000km; I would expect it to open up a little more.

The sound engineers have done a great job on the engine. On the inside, it gives a bit of a V8 type growl... which makes me just want to floor it the whole time ...on the outside it obviously has more of the usual diesel tractor growl! The engine noise at speed is also very impressive and an improvement over the 4 cyl, but not that much -- the 4cyl is already very good in this respect.

I was apprehensive about going to an auto, but I'm currently pleased with my choice. Its an absolute dream in traffic and makes the whole experience totally effortless and relaxed. As this auto reacts pretty quickly, I've also been enjoying working through the gears in manual mode when going through corners / winding roads. Once I've made it past the drive in period and can use the full rev range, I'll no doubt be able to get more out this experience. For now I'm really enjoying learning how to control and change the gears using the accelerator, i.e. knowing how quickly and how much to press the accelerator to get the desired result -- it's effectively a whole new driving experience!

Colours & Materials:
Before taking delivery I was a little unsure about the colour combo having not seen it in real life, however couldn't be happier with my choice. The black high gloss trim IMHO thankfully doesn't look cheap (or at least any cheaper/plastic like than the other standard/wood trims BMW offers!) and really complements the high-gloss shadow line finish on the exterior. As expected, the Natural Brown leather really brightens up the interior and provides a great contrast to the black trim, carpets, etc.

The LCI material enhancements are an improvement, but IMHO only marginally. I was already happy with the pre-LCI, however do appreciate the subtle improvements to some of the switches and surfaces on the dash. The M-Sport steering wheel feels different -- not sure if its a different size or just softer leather -- haven't worked that out yet, but I like it!!

Navigation & Logic7
The Business navigation with colour maps is excellent. All the detail you need is there, you can zoom and scroll around the maps, it shows traffic update info along your route and most importantly... its quick! Next to the maps you get the arrow directions and distances until next turn. I really cannot understand why anyone would go for the Professional navigation system? I trialled it extensively during the 4 hour pre-order test drive and I found that because it was slow to update/provide instructions when doing a number of turns or lane changes in succession, I kept having to check the map to see where I was and therefore was not concentrating on the road -- I was not impressed at all with the Professional navigation and would rate the Business navigation as being better.

Like others have written before, the Logic7 does not seem to be as good as the pre-LCI Logic7. I'm missing some of the richness and thumping bass coming through. The sound is still great, but a little disappointing as you'd really expect an improvement in sound quality and not a degradation.

Rims & Tyres
I currently have 19" OEM type 128 rims, 245s all round and wrapped in Continental winter tyres (need to check which type). I'm really impressed with the rims. I have only seen these once or twice in the forum (e.g. Nerweezy's ride) and only once or twice in real life. The pictures just don't do them justice -- I love them! I'm also pleased to say they're a lot easier to clean than my M166s, so ideal for winter!

The Continentals are handling great in both wet and dry conditions. No roll and plenty of grip... during the gentler drive in period at least anyway. They also give the same ride comfort as my previous 18" Dunlop winter set-up. I haven't tested them in snow yet, so that will naturally be a real test for winter.

In summer I will use my OEM 19" M166 (M5) rims again.

Thanks to those who provided feedback when I was going through the ordering phase -- as always, your feedback was much appreciated.

As I wrote at the top, I only had the chance to take a few pics and it was very drab weather, but heres a few to give you an idea of what my new pride and joy looks like...

cheers,
Pete

MY NEW RIDE IS HERE!! --  pics & first impressions-dash_front.jpg

MY NEW RIDE IS HERE!! --  pics & first impressions-dash_side.jpg

MY NEW RIDE IS HERE!! --  pics & first impressions-side_back_interior.jpg

MY NEW RIDE IS HERE!! --  pics & first impressions-side_front_interior.jpg

MY NEW RIDE IS HERE!! --  pics & first impressions-front2b.jpg

MY NEW RIDE IS HERE!! --  pics & first impressions-side_front3.jpg

MY NEW RIDE IS HERE!! --  pics & first impressions-side_front2.jpg

MY NEW RIDE IS HERE!! --  pics & first impressions-side2.jpg

MY NEW RIDE IS HERE!! --  pics & first impressions-side1.jpg

MY NEW RIDE IS HERE!! --  pics & first impressions-side_rear2.jpg

MY NEW RIDE IS HERE!! --  pics & first impressions-side_rear3.jpg
Old 02-01-2008, 03:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW BEAUTIFULLL ...CONGRATSSSSS
Old 02-01-2008, 03:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 530i M-sports package, carbon black,Beige leather dakota, Steptronic, active steering, anti-theft alarm, sunblinds for rear window and back seat window, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, poplar brown dark, comfort seats, PDC, extended lights package, Hi-Fi loudspeakers, Innovation Package (contains Xenon, Headlight washers, adaptive headlights, Comfort access), automatic air-conditioning, professional radio, individual high gloss satine chrome,Sunroof

Very nice.Congrats on the 2nd E60
Old 02-01-2008, 04:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Thanks for the comments guys.

As my dealer said a couple of years ago, once you start driving a 5er you'll never change... so far he's right!
Old 02-01-2008, 04:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Great write on a stunning car Good luck & enjoy...

BTW - what's your average consumption?
Old 02-01-2008, 04:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d SE Jet black / anthracite Advanced air con Sun protection glass USB Style 244 wheels

Congratualtions on your new car! Thanks for the write up as well as the great photos. Hope you continue to enjoy it
Old 02-01-2008, 04:12 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Looks great! Congratulations!!

I've never played around or seen the new headrests but it seems to me like the one in the third picture is extended out pretty far. Is that an adjustment you can make? (I thought that they only popped out like that when an impact is detected to prevent whiplash...)
Old 02-01-2008, 04:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Very nice color combination, but I might be a little biased. I sure wish I could have gotten gloss black trim here.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='525797' date='Feb 1 2008, 08:12 AM
Looks great! Congratulations!!

I've never played around or seen the new headrests but it seems to me like the one in the third picture is extended out pretty far. Is that an adjustment you can make? (I thought that they only popped out like that when an impact is detected to prevent whiplash...)
The regular and sport seat headrests are adjust in and out. The comfort seats do not, as you can change the distance is using the shoulder support adjustment.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:23 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by narvselius' post='525794' date='Feb 1 2008, 02:06 PM
Great write on a stunning car Good luck & enjoy...

BTW - what's your average consumption?
Thanks!

My average consumption is currently 9litres/100km. My average consumption in the 520d was 8litres/100km.

But lets not get carried away yet -- I'm still in the drive in period (approx 1200km so far) and haven't been using agressive kick-downs or reving the engine past 3-3500rpm. Furthermore, from past experience with BMWs, the engine will need until around 3000km until it gets "freed up" and starts giving its real performance and economy. For the benefit of my conscience, I would like to keep it below 10litres/100km!
Old 02-01-2008, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by iversonm' post='525798' date='Feb 1 2008, 08:20 AM
The regular and sport seat headrests are adjust in and out. The comfort seats do not, as you can change the distance is using the shoulder support adjustment.
I forget, do the regular and sport seat headrest include whiplash protection or is that only on the comfort seats?

Quick Reply: MY NEW RIDE IS HERE!! -- pics & first impressions