E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Navigation failed me

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 1) 2004 BMW 530IAlpine WhiteLuxury PackageNavigation 2) 2009 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

So im driving from point A to point B, i have my navigation turned on giving me directions, well it tells me to take a specific exit so i do so and see about 10 cops standing infront of me. They tell me to pull over, and give me a ticket for an HOV violation saying that this is an HOV only exit. I tell him, i had no idea and that my navigation was giving me directions and told me to take this exit, he says there is nothing I can do about it and that my court date is in November.

The ticket itself is not a big deal, but its a fricken expensive ticket($150).

Is there a way i can get around this? or complain to BMW atleast!! I dont want to pay that fine!! its not my fault, its my navigations fault!!

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2007, 12:40 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by snadir' post='477571' date='Oct 3 2007, 02:09 PM
So im driving from point A to point B, i have my navigation turned on giving me directions, well it tells me to take a specific exit so i do so and see about 10 cops standing infront of me. They tell me to pull over, and give me a ticket for an HOV violation saying that this is an HOV only exit. I tell him, i had no idea and that my navigation was giving me directions and told me to take this exit, he says there is nothing I can do about it and that my court date is in November.

Is there a way i can get around this? or complain to BMW atleast!! I dont want to pay that fine!! its not my fault, its my navigations fault!!

Thanks!
Navigation is a _guide_. You still have to observe road signs. Was there an "HOV exit only" sign above the exit? Surely there must have been. Most navigation systems will have a legal statement to cover them from things like this. I nearly drove up a one way street the wrong way due to a nav telling me to, but ultimately as the driver it is still out responsibility to pay attention to road signs. This time, it was an "HOV exit only" sign you missed. It could easily have been a warning about something else, such as "school crossing" etc.

I don't like to preach, but unfortunately you'll have to pay the fine, and pay more attention... sorry !!
Old 10-03-2007, 12:45 PM
Members

My Ride: Currently MB SL 500 Roadster Next: 2009 535i. Hopefully summer '08

Originally Posted by snadir' post='477571' date='Oct 3 2007, 03:09 PM

Thanks!
BMW has disclaimers regarding the nav. and don't expect them to pay for your ticket. You actually sound like my kids..."it's not my fault, it's xxxx fault" Come on, you are driving the car! The navigation isn't always correct, but if it tells you to drive straight and there's a lake in front of you, what are you gonna do? Your only defense may be the lane was not clearly marked. Most of the time this is NOT the case. I don't want to be mean, but you need to pay attention to the road and signs. Good Luck.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

always show up and plead no contest WITH the option of speaking to the prosecutor. Sometimes they have a pretrial program, if not, the prosecutor will let you talk and explain your case. Most are reasonable and will listen, some arent...luck of the draw there. I would take a video of how the navigation guides you onto that ramp...if the signs arent clearly visible, you might get off.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by s4iscool' post='477599' date='Oct 3 2007, 02:51 PM
always show up and plead no contest WITH the option of speaking to the prosecutor. Sometimes they have a pretrial program, if not, the prosecutor will let you talk and explain your case. Most are reasonable and will listen, some arent...luck of the draw there. I would take a video of how the navigation guides you onto that ramp...if the signs arent clearly visible, you might get off.
That's a good idea - but get a _passenger_ to take the video Going in to court saying "look, here's me holding a video camera as I drive along..." hehe.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i, white/black manual, sports package, nav, PDC, etc.

I think it's unfortunate that the navigational system made an error such as this. Mine makes frequent calculation errors in the routing too. Nevertheless, as the other posters have said, the responsibility ultimately falls on you for obeying road signs. Still, I'd complain to BMW, but they're not going to pay your fine.

If you're in CA, I'd recommend traffic school. The ticket probably isn't winnable, and I don't think you'll find it easy to prove that your nav was at fault anyway.

Originally Posted by snadir' post='477571' date='Oct 3 2007, 01:09 PM

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2007, 01:23 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dragoncoach' post='477589' date='Oct 3 2007, 04:45 PM
but if it tells you to drive straight and there's a lake in front of you, what are you gonna do?
Reminds me of this story reported in 1998 (isn't search a great tool when your systems are optimized so you can find things)

POTSDAM, Germany (December 26, 1998 12:50 p.m. EST
http://www.nandotimes.com) - A German couple out for a Christmas
drive near Berlin ended up in a river - apparently because their luxury
car's on board computer forgot to mention they
had to wait for a ferry first.

The 57-year-old driver and his passenger were not injured in the
accident, police said Saturday.

Several companies sell computer navigators, some of which are attached
to dashboards and serve as electronic road
maps. Some offer traffic updates and Internet connections.

The German couple was out driving Friday night when they came to a ferry
crossing at the Havel River in Caputh, six
miles from Berlin.

That information, however, was never stored in the satellite-steered
navigation system they were using, police said. The
driver kept going straight in the dark, expecting a bridge, and ended up
in the water.

River traffic was stopped for two hours while the car was fished out
about 13 feet from the river bank.

"You can't always blindly rely on technology," a coast guard police
officer said.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by snadir' post='477571' date='Oct 3 2007, 04:09 PM

Thanks!
I can only imagine that you are brand new to VA and that you got ticket on 66 during rush hour...not to defend it but if you go to court with that story the judge will think is a joke.

My advice as a fellow Virginian is: pay the ticket and stay off HOV?the state troopers have been crazy this week. I have seen more people pulled over this week than over the whole year.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Xenon, Sport, Premium, Automatic, Logic 7, Orient Blue & Auburn Dakota Leather with Dark Poplar Wood Trim

Originally Posted by snadir' post='477571' date='Oct 3 2007, 02:09 PM

Thanks!

That was really funny. I'm sorry about it. Next time keep an eye on the road.