E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Is my key fob going nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 525xi

So, I'm getting ready to leave work. Open the doors, get in the car, sit down.. I'm about to pull out, and I notice my trunk is open! First reaction is "wtf??". It was closed when I got in.. I'm sure of it, cause I was still oogle-ing at my newly installed LCI tail lights ( ). Anyways, I disregard it as me probably hitting the door button while fiddling around with my massive keychain.

I stopped for gas on the way home, as I'm leaving, I put the key in... and on the panel thingy it shows a picture of a key with a " / " through it. On the iDrive screen it said "Remote control not in ignition.. etc etc". Said that I may not be able to turn the car off after I turn it on, and that I should contact a BMW service center.

I took the key out, put it back in, and it was back to normal. Did that a few times, and couldn't replicate that message.

Is my keyfob on it's way out? What the hell is going on?

Edit: Also, this happened the other day... I turn off the car, passenger gets out, closes the door. Car is off, in park, brake on, etc. I'm sitting in the car still, checking emails on my phone quickly. I go to open the door.. and it doesn't seem to want to open. Handle seems to be "stuck", but not a mechanical type of stuck. I eventually pull it a few times, and the door opens... setting off the alarm. I quickly put the keys in the car and it stops. No idea what happened there either.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:58 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

If you have Comfort Access, you just need a new CR2032 battery since they only seem to last around a year.
If not(as I suspect from your post), your key fob may not be automatically re-charging. Have you tried the other fob?