E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My iDrive has died twice now

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 02:30 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i Platinum Silver Metallic Gray Dakota Leather, Premium Pack, Premium Sound, Logic 7, Sport Pack, Navi, PDC, Sunshades, Cold Weather and HUD. 56k miles Feb. 2011

Originally Posted by BMW NA Customer Relations' post='474492' date='Sep 26 2007, 06:58 AM
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
Hi BMW NA Customer Relations Representative,

Is there a common area that you can post the responses or answers to our questions and concerns ? It is pretty scary to have a software upgrade done based on these posts. I have the same problem on:
"CD changer randomly shuffles around when one of the doors opens".

The poor owner of the cafeteria at my company had sent her 2007 550i back to the dealer too many times on eletronic related problem. I see the dealer loaner car ( 5-series, 3-series, X-series ) more than her owner. It is nice to get to drive all BMW models. I hope she will get to drive the 7-series or Zs next time. Long story short. She is pursuing to get the car replaced under California "Lemon Law".
Old 10-29-2007, 08:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Titanium Silver, Auto, Sport Package, NAV, Active Steering

Originally Posted by Robert A' post='468392' date='Sep 11 2007, 02:21 PM
On 2 occassions, I've started my 2007 530i only to discover that the entire iDrive system is totally dark and nonfunctional. Letting the car sit for an hour or more cures the problem, but it's happened twice now. I do have the v25.02 upgrade and the problems began after the upgrade.

The problem is too intermittent to demonstrate to a dealer. Are fault codes recorded?

Thank you,
Robert
Was the problem fixed with your i-drive? I am having the same issue post software upgrade and would like some guidance on how the dealer was able to diagnose the problem.

Thanks.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d, orient blue, Dakota beige, Dynamic Drive, Xenon, Nav Prof, Bluetooth, comfort seats, PDC, curve lights, 135M wheels

After I upgraded to 25.x, my iDrive went black four times within two weeks. I had reason to believe that it had to do with the combination of the new SW and a Sony Ericsson Bluetooth phone (W810i - functionally equivalent to K750i).

During a six week vacation trip over 15000km I switched off Bluetooth and it never happened again.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545, MT, Black Sapphire, Auburn, Cold Weather, NAV, Bluetooth, mp3

Originally Posted by schwim' post='472748' date='Sep 21 2007, 12:29 PM
Damn! It just happened to me today. 5 minutes in the store for a cup of coffee, came out, started the car and no iDrive, no CD, stereo, etc. I just had my CCC replaced two weeks ago for another issue, with a CIP upgrade done as well.

I tried the reset method (cd eject, dvd eject, mute all at once??) and that didn't help. I could hear one of the drives accessing the media as I drove for 45 minutes in complete silence (except for the rumble of the runflats). Fun!

Has anyone found a resolution to this yet?
LOL, same deal just happened to me this morning. Parked the car, started it up and no idrive. I had the software upgraded about a month ago and this was first time idrive crapped out on me. Drove 15min listening to the sweet music of the runflats, especially over rough pavement. I should just light the rears from every stop light so i can give myself an excuse to get some real tires, PS2's.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i, white/black manual, sports package, nav, PDC, etc.

As the original poster to this thread, BMWNA stepped in with my local dealer to investigate the problem, and even provided a no-charge loaner. Their decision was to upgrade my software from v25 to v27. Now I just have to wait and see if the problem crops up again.

Meanwhile, I wish that the technicians had a way to back up your iDrive settings before they updated the software. All my radio stations, equalizer settings and driver preferences are reset to factory defaults each time I receive an upgrade.

Originally Posted by Austin545' post='489439' date='Nov 3 2007, 09:08 AM
LOL, same deal just happened to me this morning. Parked the car, started it up and no idrive. I had the software upgraded about a month ago and this was first time idrive crapped out on me. Drove 15min listening to the sweet music of the runflats, especially over rough pavement. I should just light the rears from every stop light so i can give myself an excuse to get some real tires, PS2's.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545, MT, Black Sapphire, Auburn, Cold Weather, NAV, Bluetooth, mp3

Unless if they came out with a new versionof software in the last month i have v27, and the problem still persists. This is a major that has gone on too long for bmw not to be able to fix. I hope bmw has hired some elite programmers to fix this problem and i expect to issue a recall when it is fixed.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Robert A' post='489471' date='Nov 3 2007, 01:13 PM
As the original poster to this thread, BMWNA stepped in with my local dealer to investigate the problem, and even provided a no-charge loaner. Their decision was to upgrade my software from v25 to v27. Now I just have to wait and see if the problem crops up again.
Although not with those specific versions, I had (on one of my ccc-equipped BMWs) a similar problem and the ccc was ultimately replaced 2x. In my case, however, the ccc was crashing in the midst of use, not failing to boot (if I recall, your problem was it wouldn?t boot).

Just to give an illustration of what can cause a ccc to crash, when I was at the BMW Welt getting my car a week or so ago, the same day as Bernard Wang was getting his 335i Cabrio, I had been asked by Mr Wang to pair his Samsung mobile phone to the car. As the pairing process was finishing, the iDrive completely crashed.

I asked that the car be checked (since I have been exposed to severe iDrive faults) and they came back with a report that it was due to the non-compatible Samsung mobile phone. I have no doubt that was the issue as I have seen very strange behavior with Samsung mobiles before.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530D SE; Mystic Blue; Beige Leather; Luxury Pack; Media Pack; Visibility Pack; 123's; Logic 7; + to many more to type........... 2008 730D; Black Sapphire; Cream Beige Leather; plenty of options!

Originally Posted by Robert A' post='489471' date='Nov 3 2007, 05:13 PM

Meanwhile, I wish that the technicians had a way to back up your iDrive settings before they updated the software. All my radio stations, equalizer settings and driver preferences are reset to factory defaults each time I receive an upgrade.
Your dealer can store your settings as far as I know, FM etc. - they just have to be bothered (minded) to capture the settings prior to upgrade, or perhaps know how too! The only settings that have defaulted when my e60 has been upgraded are the logic 7 settings and the AM radio stations (still use good old AM here for news stations!)
Old 11-04-2007, 08:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530D SE; Mystic Blue; Beige Leather; Luxury Pack; Media Pack; Visibility Pack; 123's; Logic 7; + to many more to type........... 2008 730D; Black Sapphire; Cream Beige Leather; plenty of options!

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='489737' date='Nov 4 2007, 02:12 PM
I asked that the car be checked (since I have been exposed to severe iDrive faults) and they came back with a report that it was due to the non-compatible Samsung mobile phone. I have no doubt that was the issue as I have seen very strange behavior with Samsung mobiles before.
Check out my earlier comments in this thread on CCC's as I've heard from my dealer recently that they've replaced a bunch more to cure unstable iDrives, re-programming alone did not cure the problem.

Re the bluetooth issue - during my last visit to the dealer in serach of a cure to the unstable iDrive BMW gmbh asked, via the dealer, what telephones were paired/used in my e60? Also would I supply the telephone software versions - I was pleased to do this; I use two currently both Motorola models a V3i, which is listed as compatible, and a V6 Maxx. I heard nothing back to suggest either were the cause of the instability of the iDrive, however the dealership is collecting telephone details of any iDrive failure presently.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, Auto, Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Leather, Sport and Premium Packages, HUD

I dropped my e60 off yesterday at the dealer to get the iDrive crash/failure to boot fixed. My SA alluded to this being a known issue and a fix being available. We'll see....

Quick Reply: My iDrive has died twice now