E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My iDrive has died twice now

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 03:44 PM
dbm
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fix maybe in the upgrade to v27 version?
Old 09-20-2007, 07:57 PM
Members

Hello BMWNA - I am also experiencing the following issues no dealer seems to be able to diagnose or fix:

- Idrive intermittently is completely blank upon start-up. Letting the car sit for 1-2 hours usually fixes
- CD changer randomly shuffles around when one of the doors opens.
- Battery drains itself. Intermittent low battery signal or dead battery
- Pressing voice activation locks up entire idrive (this is a new problem since last update)
- A/C is weak even on max setting (probably related to the low battery)
- Brightness control on Idrive does not work (new problem since last update)

Can you help?
Old 09-21-2007, 05:23 AM
Members

Hi everyone,
I have had this problem happen to me on Wednesday this week..

I recently had a software upgrade (as I had a dension GW500 Ipod unit fitted).

Woke up on Wednesday Morning to a dead screen and no i-drive system.

After I left the car for about 30 mins, it re-set and has worked well since....
Old 09-21-2007, 05:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: New ride from 14th May�07: 525iA LCI, Sport Suspension, Deep Sea Blue, Leather Dakota Natural Brown, Hi-Gloss Black trim, Star Spoke 124 18", Comfort Seats with memory, M -steering wheel, Glass Roof, Navi Professional, ProLogic7, USB-connection, Bi-Xenon, Extended Air Condition, Auto dimming mirrors, Electric Folding mirrors, Bluetooth for Cell Phone Sony Ericsson K750i, Electric rear window shade, Ligth package, Speed control with brake function, Cup Holders, Automatic head light control, PDC, Shadow line

Originally Posted by Robert A' post='468392' date='Sep 11 2007, 09:21 PM
On 2 occassions, I've started my 2007 530i only to discover that the entire iDrive system is totally dark and nonfunctional. Letting the car sit for an hour or more cures the problem, but it's happened twice now. I do have the v25.02 upgrade and the problems began after the upgrade.

The problem is too intermittent to demonstrate to a dealer. Are fault codes recorded?

Thank you,
Robert
Hi forum fellows,

I have had that issue three times so far. The dealer has asked Munich for advice, but no results yet. BTW, reset needs only 20 minutes and after that it will work again.

BR from Finland
Old 09-21-2007, 05:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: New ride from 14th May�07: 525iA LCI, Sport Suspension, Deep Sea Blue, Leather Dakota Natural Brown, Hi-Gloss Black trim, Star Spoke 124 18", Comfort Seats with memory, M -steering wheel, Glass Roof, Navi Professional, ProLogic7, USB-connection, Bi-Xenon, Extended Air Condition, Auto dimming mirrors, Electric Folding mirrors, Bluetooth for Cell Phone Sony Ericsson K750i, Electric rear window shade, Ligth package, Speed control with brake function, Cup Holders, Automatic head light control, PDC, Shadow line

Originally Posted by SilberGrauE60' post='468872' date='Sep 13 2007, 12:50 AM
I'm wondering what techniques people use to start their E60. For example, I pause a few seconds at each key click and observe the dash displays. After the first click, I pause until the iDrive "lawyer" screen comes up. After the second click, I pause to observe the service display (miles til next service) and "idiot" lights. This is also where the steering wheel moves into driving position. Finally, I engage the starter. Since there seems to be a lot of "electronic" things going on during the various clicks, I wonder if swiftly moving through them without pausing could induce some intermittent errors due to timing and sequencing issues?
Hi,

not possible method with new start button equipped cars though...

Regards,
Old 09-21-2007, 09:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, Auto, Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Leather, Sport and Premium Packages, HUD

Damn! It just happened to me today. 5 minutes in the store for a cup of coffee, came out, started the car and no iDrive, no CD, stereo, etc. I just had my CCC replaced two weeks ago for another issue, with a CIP upgrade done as well.

I tried the reset method (cd eject, dvd eject, mute all at once??) and that didn't help. I could hear one of the drives accessing the media as I drove for 45 minutes in complete silence (except for the rumble of the runflats). Fun!

Has anyone found a resolution to this yet?
Old 09-21-2007, 11:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d

Originally Posted by schwim' post='472748' date='Sep 21 2007, 07:29 PM
Nope... Going in for a fix (???) on October 1st.....
Old 09-22-2007, 12:39 AM
Members

This will be the 5th time for this problem.

Once it went off but came back on
Then again.......... off an on again
The next time it went off a few minutes from the dealer

We took it in to be fixed a month ago.

A week ago it went out again, then came back on

Today it went out again,

Now it goes back again to the dealer

Anyone have access t the TSB site to see if
it's listed as a common problem???
Old 09-23-2007, 05:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 Bimmer, Sports Package, Premium Package, Black/Black, Xenon Lights, 20
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by schwim' post='472748' date='Sep 21 2007, 12:29 PM
Damn! It just happened to me today. 5 minutes in the store for a cup of coffee, came out, started the car and no iDrive, no CD, stereo, etc. I just had my CCC replaced two weeks ago for another issue, with a CIP upgrade done as well.

I tried the reset method (cd eject, dvd eject, mute all at once??) and that didn't help. I could hear one of the drives accessing the media as I drove for 45 minutes in complete silence (except for the rumble of the runflats). Fun!

I would bring it back to the dealer. I just had a software upgrade last two weeks ago, but everything seems fine.. The only problem i had was just my engine oil did not reset, but i went back to the dealer and fixed it right away (like in 20minutes). I live in scottsdale Az, Where and what BMW dealer did you go to? I would recommend to go to Chapman BMW here in scottsdale. I think and I heard that they have a good mechanics / technician...
I always bring my E60 to Chapman BMW, and it seems like they know what they're doing... Goodluck!!!!
Old 09-26-2007, 05:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Stoley' post='472522' date='Sep 20 2007, 11:57 PM
Hello BMWNA - I am also experiencing the following issues no dealer seems to be able to diagnose or fix:

- Idrive intermittently is completely blank upon start-up. Letting the car sit for 1-2 hours usually fixes
- CD changer randomly shuffles around when one of the doors opens.
- Battery drains itself. Intermittent low battery signal or dead battery
- Pressing voice activation locks up entire idrive (this is a new problem since last update)
- A/C is weak even on max setting (probably related to the low battery)
- Brightness control on Idrive does not work (new problem since last update)

Can you help?

I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.

Quick Reply: My iDrive has died twice now