E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My iDrive has died twice now

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 10:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530i, white/black manual, sports package, nav, PDC, etc.

On 2 occassions, I've started my 2007 530i only to discover that the entire iDrive system is totally dark and nonfunctional. Letting the car sit for an hour or more cures the problem, but it's happened twice now. I do have the v25.02 upgrade and the problems began after the upgrade.

The problem is too intermittent to demonstrate to a dealer. Are fault codes recorded?

Thank you,
Robert
Old 09-11-2007, 11:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d

Originally Posted by Robert A' post='468392' date='Sep 11 2007, 08:21 PM
On 2 occassions, I've started my 2007 530i only to discover that the entire iDrive system is totally dark and nonfunctional. Letting the car sit for an hour or more cures the problem, but it's happened twice now. I do have the v25.02 upgrade and the problems began after the upgrade.
Exactly same issue. Progman update (same version as you) last July after CCC replacement, and intermittent iDrive crash since then...
Going back to dealer at the end of this month... To their knwoledge, no specific issue recored yet... But it seems some of us (many ?) are complaining with this issue, so who knows, it might get some fix some day ....
Old 09-11-2007, 11:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530D SE; Mystic Blue; Beige Leather; Luxury Pack; Media Pack; Visibility Pack; 123's; Logic 7; + to many more to type........... 2008 730D; Black Sapphire; Cream Beige Leather; plenty of options!

Originally Posted by Robert A' post='468392' date='Sep 11 2007, 07:21 PM

The problem is too intermittent to demonstrate to a dealer. Are fault codes recorded?

Thank you,
Robert
The dealer will know of this problem, or should do!

If you do a search on the forum for iDrive problems you'll find that you're not alone. My own experience with this problem lasted 4 months until a solution was provided; I suspect you'll be able to secure a fix much quicker, I hope so!

You state the problem started post your v25 upgrade which is the common thread here as mine did too, except mine began by crashing and re-booting at will when driving, it then moved on to also not booting up from start up on occasions.

As to errors, there might be error codes stored - in my case there were not any error codes present. Evidently when an e60 is hooked up online to BMW gmbh they are able to 'see' a deal more within the software and exercise more invasive diagnostics than the dealer was allowed to see or do (my dealer is frustrated by this point as they feel they?re letting the customer down by requiring to call on BMW each time to do this with the long delays this entails); despite BMW intervention however they could not replicate the problem therefore find a definitive solution, at that point the CCC was authorised to be replaced again.

It may be a fix will be found by the dealer reprogramming the upgrade again, in my case BMW insisted that the dealer and they, BMW, do this in tandem; a total of three times they tried before they gave in and finally replaced the CCC again! I'm now on my third CCC; my e60 has behaved for two weeks now without a crash, or a failure to boot up.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:39 PM
dbm
Members

Today also my iDrive has died! I've stopped the car for some minutes, then iDrive restart.I've done upgrade two weeks ago.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Originally Posted by Robert A' post='468392' date='Sep 11 2007, 12:21 PM
I'm wondering what techniques people use to start their E60. For example, I pause a few seconds at each key click and observe the dash displays. After the first click, I pause until the iDrive "lawyer" screen comes up. After the second click, I pause to observe the service display (miles til next service) and "idiot" lights. This is also where the steering wheel moves into driving position. Finally, I engage the starter. Since there seems to be a lot of "electronic" things going on during the various clicks, I wonder if swiftly moving through them without pausing could induce some intermittent errors due to timing and sequencing issues?
Old 09-12-2007, 09:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 1982 Pogo Stick, brick red

Even if it is intermittent your CCC or M-ASK will store the faults in memory, it still might be worth it to take it in.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:22 AM
Members

I had the same problem. While the screen was blank, I took the car directly to the dealer and told them not to turn off the car. The shop foreman checked the car out and then replaced one of the processors. A week later I had the same problem. The shop foreman said that there should be a software fix for the problem coming out. My feeling is that the last software upgrade to the car was responsible for this i-drive problem on certain cars.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530D SE; Mystic Blue; Beige Leather; Luxury Pack; Media Pack; Visibility Pack; 123's; Logic 7; + to many more to type........... 2008 730D; Black Sapphire; Cream Beige Leather; plenty of options!

Originally Posted by mooseman' post='469151' date='Sep 13 2007, 05:22 PM
My feeling is that the last software upgrade to the car was responsible for this idrive problem on certain cars.
You've hit on a key point here.

The unstable iDrive problem surfaces post a software update - a number of contacts I've made recently both in the USA and UK are suffering unstable iDrive problems post a software update.

In conversation with my (UK) dealers engineer recently he opined that older CCC units were more sensitive to reprogramming - recently manufactured CCC units are not found to cause these problems, in his experience; he stated he has reprogrammed many, in the hundreds, e60's and senses that newer (later) units were not so sensitive to reprogramming - he also commented that he'd noticed there are re-conditioned (older) CCC's being recycled as replacements within the parts system which are contributing, in his view, to the continuing number of failures when used as replacements by dealers; with my e60 he had tried two ?older? CCC units before sourcing a newer unit (not a recycled unit) which has cured my e60?s unstable iDrive. His view and one that has a deal of experience supporting his conclusion?????
Old 09-14-2007, 10:27 AM
Members

I would take it back to the dealer -- it is possible that the newer releases (v26 or 27) have addressed this problem already. Good luck and keep us updated ...
Old 09-19-2007, 06:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Robert A' post='468392' date='Sep 11 2007, 02:21 PM

Thank you,
Robert
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.

Quick Reply: My iDrive has died twice now