E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My I-drive went a little haywire yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 02:10 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

I started up the car, and it was stuck on the accept screen and turned a quick bright pink color. After a couple of tries, I just rebooted the I-drive and it was fine. Should I have it checked by the dealer???
Old 12-05-2007, 07:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

its up to you.
for the past 2 months, my idrive doesn't boot up every other time i start the car. i just manually reboot, and haven't taken it to the dealer.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Senior Members

Both of you should have the cars checked.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 520iA Petrol
Question

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='503160
its up to you.
for the past 2 months, my idrive doesn't boot up every other time i start the car. i just manually reboot, and haven't taken it to the dealer.
Whats this...ofcourse you should take it back for service....I've heard so much about this pested idrive that now I'm even scared to touch it. I have atleast two other friends who have had major problems with their idrive...looks like this is the most common problem in any BMW now..
Old 12-05-2007, 08:43 PM
Senior Members

With all the updates and problems people have with the idrive. I wish they would just scrap the whole thing and start over.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='503160' date='Dec 5 2007, 06:10 PM
I started up the car, and it was stuck on the accept screen and turned a quick bright pink color. After a couple of tries, I just rebooted the I-drive and it was fine. Should I have it checked by the dealer???
Something similar happened to me with the screen getting stuck on the "discliamer". I didn't get a pink color screen, but when I hit the controller or tried to use Bluetooth I saw pink flashes in the background. Everything worked (radio/Bluetooth/etc.) and the information strip at the bottom of the screen was fine. It stayed that way all the way to work - about 25 minutes. I made an appointment with my SA to bring it in but when I went back out to start it up and check it out, everything was normal and has been normal for about 2 weeks now. I couldn' t see any reason to bring it in since it wasn't experiencing the problem.

I speculated that I potentially caused the problem by hitting the controller to turn off the "disclaimer" and the PDC button at virtually the same time and froze the screen.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:17 AM
Members

My Ride: Mystic Blue, 2004 525i

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='503351' date='Dec 6 2007, 12:43 AM
With all the updates and problems people have with the idrive. I wish they would just scrap the whole thing and start over.
Exactly, Idrive is the dumbest thing ever invented in the history of automobiles.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:01 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by stanatl' post='503443' date='Dec 6 2007, 08:42 AM
Something similar happened to me with the screen getting stuck on the "discliamer". I didn't get a pink color screen, but when I hit the controller or tried to use Bluetooth I saw pink flashes in the background. Everything worked (radio/Bluetooth/etc.) and the information strip at the bottom of the screen was fine. It stayed that way all the way to work - about 25 minutes. I made an appointment with my SA to bring it in but when I went back out to start it up and check it out, everything was normal and has been normal for about 2 weeks now. I couldn' t see any reason to bring it in since it wasn't experiencing the problem.

I speculated that I potentially caused the problem by hitting the controller to turn off the "disclaimer" and the PDC button at virtually the same time and froze the screen.

This is the exact way mine behaved, pink flashes.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:05 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BlitzburghFan' post='503451' date='Dec 6 2007, 09:17 AM
Exactly, Idrive is the dumbest thing ever invented in the history of automobiles.
It might have its glitches, but I disagree that its the dumbest thing ever invented. It needs some fine tuning, but I think its a great concept...How else could you access all the different features???Its such a good concept that other auto makers are using similar devices...BMW is the inventer of great technologies, and everyone else follows.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='503518' date='Dec 6 2007, 12:05 PM
It might have its glitches, but I disagree that its the dumbest thing ever invented. It needs some fine tuning, but I think its a great concept...How else could you access all the different features???Its such a good concept that other auto makers are using similar devices...BMW is the inventer of great technologies, and everyone else follows.
I agree....It's not that hard to use. Can you imagin if we didn't have a mouse attached to our computers and we had to find the right button to push to access every feature. We'd have 35+ buttons lining the console!

Quick Reply: My I-drive went a little haywire yesterday...