E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My DIY Battery Replacement Experience

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 02:54 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Have been holding out until the original battery in my 2004 died, and it finally happened today. Car was sitting for the last month in my garage while we were away. Go to crank it, and first thing I notice when I turn to first click is the iDrive display is half dim and flickering. Then I go to the next click and I get all kinds of warnings. Immediately shut off and switch to backup car. Call the stealer and they say they only carry the AGM replacement battery any more. Decide to get the exact match from Batteries Plus--SLI95RH9. Made in Germany, with a 65 month warranty for $200.

Biggest issue getting the old one out was not releasing the heavy negative grounding cable from the mounting point. Decided to do that before putting the new one back in, and was much easier to navigate. Found it helpful to have a second set of hands to hold the heavy cables out of the way.

After hookup, started it up and got the Date/Time and Active Steering warnings. There was a statement saying to shut off and restart car when safe to reset the steering. Did not have to crank the wheel at all. Also, had to reset Date/Time in iDrive. That's it so far.

Am not planning on taking to dealer for "programming."

Fingers crossed it will work out okay...
Old 11-21-2011, 04:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Ah, will purchase mine this weekend probably from Auto z and with a little help from some friends get it registered. When the dealer told me 650.00 to replace it I just had to ask where they bought that crack they were smoking! 229.00 for battery and the rest was install and programming!
Old 11-21-2011, 06:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

OP - if you are still looking for something cheaper, http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...tion-_-General worked well for me. 2 year replacement+5 year prorated warranty (for me, even if it works for 2 years, I would be more than happy). Plus free installs and some good coupons online.

It's a smaller battery than the OEM one, but fits well without any need for extra cushioning. You will need a bigger vent tube though.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:52 PM
Members

Originally Posted by SilberGrauE60
Have been holding out until the original battery in my 2004 died, and it finally happened today. Car was sitting for the last month in my garage while we were away. Go to crank it, and first thing I notice when I turn to first click is the iDrive display is half dim and flickering. Then I go to the next click and I get all kinds of warnings. Immediately shut off and switch to backup car. Call the stealer and they say they only carry the AGM replacement battery any more. Decide to get the exact match from Batteries Plus--SLI95RH9. Made in Germany, with a 65 month warranty for $200.

Biggest issue getting the old one out was not releasing the heavy negative grounding cable from the mounting point. Decided to do that before putting the new one back in, and was much easier to navigate. Found it helpful to have a second set of hands to hold the heavy cables out of the way.

After hookup, started it up and got the Date/Time and Active Steering warnings. There was a statement saying to shut off and restart car when safe to reset the steering. Did not have to crank the wheel at all. Also, had to reset Date/Time in iDrive. That's it so far.

Am not planning on taking to dealer for "programming."

Fingers crossed it will work out okay...
You will need to register the battery and reset IBS. Otherwise your car will eventually start acting up electronically. It may not happen right away but it will happen, eventually. When the time comes, let me know.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:45 PM
Members

Keep us updated SilberGrauE60!
Old 11-22-2011, 05:47 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

i replaced my battery myself as well. the dealer wanted nearly $400 to do it....at which i laughed hysterically. i went to pepboys and bought a battery for $94....took it home and swapped it out myself.

the car ran much better afterwards. all the lights were brighter/stronger during start-up and after shutting off the ignition...overall i noticed a huge improvement. had the new battery in for a few weeks and noticed zero issues. probably would have kept going strong too...i highly recommend against paying hundreds and hundreds of dollars more for the dealer to replace it....what a waste. unless youre swimming in dough that is....
Old 11-22-2011, 09:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

I already posted. Your car already knows that the battery was replaced. I saw in my self on computer. But it can keep old fail codes for electrical system , that would give you some problems or not at all. Mine was doing a long start up for Idrive until I cleared all electrical codes.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

I already posted. Your car already knows that the battery was replaced. I saw in my self on computer. But it can keep old fail codes for electrical system , that would give you some problems or not at all. Mine was doing a long start up for Idrive until I cleared all electrical codes.