E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My car got hit today.... :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 06:42 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Folks,

New years eve. Got hit in the rear bumper today on the highway by a guy that didn't stop in time for traffic. My entire rear bumper is cracked and my PDC sensors are all pushed in. I have a few questions and looking for some advice.

-When I claim insurance will I have to pay my deductible given that it was his fault?
-Will the insurance cover repair at a BMW dealership? (He has Geico)
-Any recommendations for a dealership for body work in the NYC/NJ area?
-Will the fact that I got into an accident affect the warranty on the car? (It is still under 50K mile warranty and CPO warranty)

thanks
Old 12-31-2008, 06:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by solkeeper' post='756921' date='Dec 31 2008, 09:42 PM
Folks,

New years eve. Got hit in the rear bumper today on the highway by a guy that didn't stop in time for traffic. My entire rear bumper is cracked and my PDC sensors are all pushed in. I have a few questions and looking for some advice.

-When I claim insurance will I have to pay my deductible given that it was his fault?

Nope, his insurance should pay all costs...

Good question, press for it. They should but some insurance companies go for third party parts and repairs...

Can't answer this one...

-Will the fact that I got into an accident affect the warranty on the car? (It is still under 50K mile warranty and CPO warranty)

Shouldn't affect the warranty as far as I know...

thanks
Old 12-31-2008, 07:25 PM
Contributors

Do not accept work to be done at some 2nd rate shop thats for damn sure. Glad you're ok mate.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:18 PM
Members

Thanks for all the info. Any members out there in the NYC area that have dealt with Geico on repair work for their Bimmer? Do they cover enough for dealership work? Any tips to make sure they cover this?
Old 12-31-2008, 10:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Anthracite Maple | 6 Speed Manual | Sport Package | Logic 7 | Sirius Satellite Radio
Model Year: 2005

I am sorry to hear about your accident. I had a similar accident where a guy hit me at a red light. His insurance paid for everything, including the rental car. My bumper was not badly damaged, only scratched. I brought it to a body shop which was recommended by my BMW dealership. They did not have to replace the bumper, they repainted it and it looks as good as new.
In your case, all of the work can probably be done by the body shop, the dealer might not get involved.
Good Luck.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:58 PM
Contributors

For starters, were the police involved? Did they write a report and was the other driver issued a ticket?
In cases like this, where there is little doubt about fault, most insurance companies will permit and cover the costs for repairs done at a certified (BMW) repair center. Strange as it may seem, not every BMW dealership has a certified bodyshop - if you are in doubt, contact your dealer and ask if they are or the location of the nearest shop.

As for independent bodyshops - some are very good to excellent. Ask for references and look at examples of their work. Check out the shop - whoever it may be. Is it clean and orderly? Are there other high line cars being repaired or is their work mostly econoboxes or trash cars?

Your insurance company can and will represent you in an instance like this - even when it is expected the other company will cover the damages. Remember, it is not at all unusual for oddballs to turn around and claim you backed up and caused the accident! You may have to pay the initial deductible, but your own or the other driver's insurance company will or should reimburse you once repairs are complete.

You didn't say if anyone was injured - and it sounds like it was a minor accident that can be fixed quickly. But BMWs are complicated cars - be sure nothing else was jolted about. I was rear ended once and the shock actually bent my driver side seat rail ... I guess I didn't realize how hard I was hit!

Good luck with the repair! Sorry to hear about the start of 2009 and I hope the year improves for you.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 525i, mystic blue metallic, black leather interior, dark poplar wood trim, premium package, navigation, iPod, park distance control, voice activation, bluetooth. Mods: Full M-Tech Kit, ACS Rep Rear Window Spoiler, ACS Rep Rear Deck Spoiler, ACS Rep Quad Diffuser, ACS Rep Exhaust Tips, Remus Duel Exhaust, De-badge, 20% Tint Front and Rear, Umnitza Predator Ice V2, HID fog lights, Clear Side Marker Light Bulbs (yellow when on), Dark Poplar Wood Shifter, Dark Poplar Wood e-Brake Handle, Dark Poplar Wood Steering Wheel Inserts, OEM Steel Pedals, OEM M Footrest, 19 inch OEM 121s (Summer), 18 inch 124s (Winter), Shadowline Window Trim, Blacked-out Kidney Grills

Sorry to hear that. I am glad you weren't hurt!
Old 01-01-2009, 04:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by solkeeper' post='756921' date='Dec 31 2008, 11:42 PM
Folks,

thanks

This happend to me before...

First claim insurance asap.
I paid deductible first to make process to go faster instead of waiting others to send deductable in order to start the process. If you are sure it is their fault, then call insurance company and ask if you can pay deductable first and get the work done first and ask them to get the money for you from other company.

doesnt matter if he has geico or whatever insurance company. it depends on YOUR insurance company. You have a right to choose repair shop but if you want to get them done quickly then they would suggest to take it to their express shop and get them done( but make sure you research them and find which one is good. Most bmw does not have body work done by bmw at all.. they send it to the other body shop and get them done as well. just make sure they get bmw part not 3rd party part)

warrenty of your car does not affect because you get into a car accident. so no need to worry. You are asking is it going to avoid warrenty when you have a flat tire(can be consider as an accident(road hazard)).

I got mine done in 3 days after the accident so dont worry at all.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by solkeeper' post='756921' date='Dec 31 2008, 10:42 PM
Folks,

thanks
Sorry to hear of your mishap. There is a BMW factory certified shop in NJ at JMK BMW. I also know of a shop that is now run by ex JMK painters and foreman.
As far as your questions.
Yes, you will initially pay for it but they will get the other person's insurance company to cover for deductible. So, you will get it covered, but it will take a some time.
Yes, you have every right to pick a certified body shop of your choice.
See above.
Absolutely not. If the work is done properly, it won't affect you warranty whatsoever. The accident will show up on carfax, just an fyi.
Good luck.
Raj
Old 01-01-2009, 07:03 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530ix Titanium Grey

In Canada, if car was subject to an accident, it will never qualify for the certified series as we call it here.

Quick Reply: My car got hit today.... :(