E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

my 550i

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 06:47 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

[quote name='nicke60gre' date='Oct 23 2006, 11:13 AM' post='347874']
Hi aR and welcome, your car is looking awesome ...another black beauty!!
Hi Andy

Yup, love that colour combo!

Welcome - great choice of extras/mods - looks fantastic and fits the V8 performance perfectly.

Probably worth doing the checks with the wheels though, if not only to be sure you really can drive the car to the max (incl. turning circle) without causing any damage. I just made the change myself and went for the recommended sizes from BMW. In Germany they have very strict laws about what mods you do, which in turn have a direct impact on insurance etc.

Enjoy...
Old 10-23-2006, 06:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 530i M-sports package, carbon black,Beige leather dakota, Steptronic, active steering, anti-theft alarm, sunblinds for rear window and back seat window, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, poplar brown dark, comfort seats, PDC, extended lights package, Hi-Fi loudspeakers, Innovation Package (contains Xenon, Headlight washers, adaptive headlights, Comfort access), automatic air-conditioning, professional radio, individual high gloss satine chrome,Sunroof

your car looks great but i would have sticked with the original sizes as Lomag said.
But overall looks good
Old 10-23-2006, 06:56 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aR.' post='347799' date='Oct 22 2006, 07:39 PM
Thanks to everyone for helping with valuable information for finding correct parts for alcantara interior trim, M-166 wheels/ TPM sensors and especially picking the correct size tires. Finally I had these all assembled a couple of days ago...I ended up getting Michelin PS2: 245/40/19 at Front and 285/35/19 at Rear..Thanks to Cool Tones for really confirming the sizes. These works and look great - at least in my opinion.

I will post more pics in near future.

How were you able to get the alcantara trim for that car? Did you do it in your initial order or after you purchased the car?
Old 10-23-2006, 02:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

Originally Posted by aR.' post='347799' date='Oct 22 2006, 08:39 PM
Thanks to everyone for helping with valuable information for finding correct parts for alcantara interior trim, M-166 wheels/ TPM sensors and especially picking the correct size tires. Finally I had these all assembled a couple of days ago...I ended up getting Michelin PS2: 245/40/19 at Front and 285/35/19 at Rear..Thanks to Cool Tones for really confirming the sizes. These works and look great - at least in my opinion.

I will post more pics in near future.
My heart is racing...My 550i was at the VPC as of last Tuesday. Once the Aero kit is installed, it should be off to the dealer. I have OEM 166 wheels waiting. I purchased 245/35 19, 285/30 19 Michelin PS2s. I like the look of a little more sidewall than the unmounted tires appear to have. I don't want it to look fast and furious. But I conversed with Lomag and decided on these sizes. Please let me know how you like the rim/tire combination once you have some milage on the car. It's absolutely beautiful. Mine is Black Sapphire as well so its very exciting to see the pics. More please! Congrats and good luck.

DRP
Old 10-23-2006, 06:10 PM
aR.
Members

Thanks for everyone's comments and concerns on tire sizes etc on my OEM 166 Wheels on 550. I really appreciated it. Interestingly enough in my previous Beemers (from E-34: 525 to E-39: 540 and 528iT to current E-53: X5) I have always ran a "slightly" different wheels/ tire combo than which was originally recommended- for the sake of better performance and better looks: to say the least..and knock on wood never had faced any issue what-so-ever - from presumably changing the center of gravity of car to rubbing to messing up performance or tire problem. I understand that none of us would want to mess the performance of these fine engineered machines by modifying specs on OEM items..but as we all realize these vehicles are designed with somewhat broader latitude on specifications, as I have yet to notice any negative impact on any of the tire/ wheel modes and hopefully will not notice it in future either .so Nuf said on that

I have yet to try some tests with placing some "heavy people" on the front as nicke60gre has suggested as 99% of time, it is me and my 7 year old daughter (who is my regular passenger on rear seat on her way to school every morning)..But I am interested to do this test and will look for such "heavy people" and will let everyone know how it goes. I have tested the left sided full turn on my way back from office (with me on the driver seat and did Not notice any thing abnormal- even though I don?t consider myself ?heavy?)..anyway..

There is also a mention of RunFlats...I am sure these work well for some people as personally I have not found those very appealing to my driving style- (may be it has to do with the roads of Baltimore / DC area which is much more suitable to high aspect ratio tires due to rougher surfaces and pot holes in winter) and these are especially more conducive to nicer rubbers like SO2s/ SO3s and PS2's. Just to experiment, I also recently tried a set of BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW on a set of OEM 18" M Parallels on one of my E-39s. Interesting experience to say the least- till almost 10K - 12K miles after that they become unbearable and had made me even a bigger fan of PS2s.

I am really New to E-60s but driving it so far tells me that all in all it is a very typical BMW to say the least in all aspect of its engineering, performance and handling- I am really loving it and I am glad that I finally got one of these....so all I want to do is to play around and experiment a little in real and see how it goes ..That is all I can say... I will keep everyone posted with my experiment and experiences with E-60...Thanks once again for everyone?s input and comments..Please Keep these coming?

Ps?The Alcantara Anthracite headliner, which veight asked about, is a mod which I did after I got the car (with the help of a friend) as I always liked Alcanatara finish nicer and much more supple to touch/ feel and experiance in the interior cabin where I spend most of time anyway - and during my recent visit to Dingolfing, I was even more convinced to do this modification after I saw/ felt and experienced a couple of "Individual BMW" line of cars in the plant.

sorry for such a long winded reply....in future I will try keeping these short.....
Old 10-24-2006, 08:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i M-sports package, carbon black,Beige leather dakota, Steptronic, active steering, anti-theft alarm, sunblinds for rear window and back seat window, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, poplar brown dark, comfort seats, PDC, extended lights package, Hi-Fi loudspeakers, Innovation Package (contains Xenon, Headlight washers, adaptive headlights, Comfort access), automatic air-conditioning, professional radio, individual high gloss satine chrome,Sunroof

Originally Posted by aR.' post='348168' date='Oct 24 2006, 04:10 AM
Thanks for everyone's comments and concerns on tire sizes etc on my OEM 166 Wheels on 550. I really appreciated it. Interestingly enough in my previous Beemers (from E-34: 525 to E-39: 540 and 528iT to current E-53: X5) I have always ran a "slightly" different wheels/ tire combo than which was originally recommended- for the sake of better performance and better looks: to say the least..and knock on wood never had faced any issue what-so-ever - from presumably changing the center of gravity of car to rubbing to messing up performance or tire problem. I understand that none of us would want to mess the performance of these fine engineered machines by modifying specs on OEM items..but as we all realize these vehicles are designed with somewhat broader latitude on specifications, as I have yet to notice any negative impact on any of the tire/ wheel modes and hopefully will not notice it in future either .so Nuf said on that

I have yet to try some tests with placing some "heavy people" on the front as nicke60gre has suggested as 99% of time, it is me and my 7 year old daughter (who is my regular passenger on rear seat on her way to school every morning)..But I am interested to do this test and will look for such "heavy people" and will let everyone know how it goes. I have tested the left sided full turn on my way back from office (with me on the driver seat and did Not notice any thing abnormal- even though I don?t consider myself ?heavy?)..anyway..
There is also a mention of RunFlats...I am sure these work well for some people as personally I have not found those very appealing to my driving style- (may be it has to do with the roads of Baltimore / DC area which is much more suitable to high aspect ratio tires due to rougher surfaces and pot holes in winter) and these are especially more conducive to nicer rubbers like SO2s/ SO3s and PS2's. Just to experiment, I also recently tried a set of BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW on a set of OEM 18" M Parallels on one of my E-39s. Interesting experience to say the least- till almost 10K - 12K miles after that they become unbearable and had made me even a bigger fan of PS2s.

I am really New to E-60s but driving it so far tells me that all in all it is a very typical BMW to say the least in all aspect of its engineering, performance and handling- I am really loving it and I am glad that I finally got one of these....so all I want to do is to play around and experiment a little in real and see how it goes ..That is all I can say... I will keep everyone posted with my experiment and experiences with E-60...Thanks once again for everyone?s input and comments..Please Keep these coming?
Ps?The Alcantara Anthracite headliner, which veight asked about, is a mod which I did after I got the car (with the help of a friend) as I always liked Alcanatara finish nicer and much more supple to touch/ feel and experiance in the interior cabin where I spend most of time anyway - and during my recent visit to Dingolfing, I was even more convinced to do this modification after I saw/ felt and experienced a couple of "Individual BMW" line of cars in the plant.

sorry for such a long winded reply....in future I will try keeping these short.....

what about some pics of the headliner?
Old 10-25-2006, 04:21 PM
aR.
Members

I will post pics of the Alcantara Anthracite Headliner soon, as requested. Hopefully I can find some time over the weekend to take care of it. Too Darn Busy in the Studio.....
Old 10-28-2006, 10:09 AM
aR.
Members

Some pictures of the Alcantara Anthracite Headliner of 550....It is somewhat harder to photograph as it really is very dark.

Alcantara Feels and Smell Absolutely WONDERFUL...on top of everything, it makes the interior cabin really quieter as compared to OEM standard liner- I am already noticing a signnificant improvement in the way Logic 7 is sounding in this acountically improved environment.. on top of it all- Just great supple feeling to simply touch and feel in the interior surroundings.
Attached Thumbnails my 550i-1a.jpg   my 550i-2a.jpg   my 550i-3a.jpg   my 550i-4a.jpg  
Old 10-28-2006, 03:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Now you need M5 mirrors!