E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

my 545i vs. E46 and E90 M3s

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 07:34 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 550i AW - every option

Hey guys -

So the other night I'm on Hall road (in Metro Detroit, a wide and long stretch of many lanes) and I came across a guy in an E90 M3 in manual. For Shi*s and giggles, we decided to run it from the light. To my surprise, this guy did not have the edge on me until we both entered 3rd gear, where he took off. I guess thats where the E90s M3 high hp/low torque came into play. I was pleased at my (now probably tired) 545 with 95k on it. It hauled a$$.

One of my friends is considering an 04 E46 M3 with 28k on it for 28k. Its black with red interior and loaded (SMG). Would I beat that car or will he spank me later too? I'm very curious if there are any comparisons done. I'm guessing he would beat me?

Also, another buddy of mine is looking at an 05 530i almost fully loaded with 54k on it. They're asking 22500 firm. Is this a good deal? The car looks mint.
It has navi and the sport package with staggered 18s. The guy selling it swears and promises he can confirm it has factory warranty until 55k so my friend would be able to extend it still. I thought original warranty is only until 50k? If the car is in fact under the warranty, how can he go about getting it extended to 100k mile warranty and for what cost? I remember seeing it somewhere in this forum that there's as guy or a website or something?

I started some minor little mods recently and business has been picking up for me. I ordered and installed the black and white emblems all over the car (hood/trunk/steering wheel/centercaps) and it looks pretty fresh. I also ordered and am waiting for the matte black kidney grilles. I just got my euro stickers for the front corner lights today and am going to throw those on but am deathly afraid of screwin that up! I ordered an M5 spoiler painted and ready to go. It arrived and the paint in the center got cracked in shipping due to bends in the box! Its being refinished right now so as soon as thats done, its going on also!
Mods are so addicting. Ive had this car for a while now and have piled on the miles but man i wish i started modding MUCH sooner than now! I love my E60.
Now I just need the MTECH kit and some new wheels...

Any and all input is always appreciated!
Old 09-20-2008, 07:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by za3879' post='673939' date='Sep 20 2008, 11:34 AM
Hey guys -

So the other night I'm on Hall road (in Metro Detroit, a wide and long stretch of many lanes) and I came across a guy in an E90 M3 in manual. For Shi*s and giggles, we decided to run it from the light. To my surprise, this guy did not have the edge on me until we both entered 3rd gear, where he took off. I guess thats where the E90s M3 high hp/low torque came into play. I was pleased at my (now probably tired) 545 with 95k on it. It hauled a$$.

One of my friends is considering an 04 E46 M3 with 28k on it for 28k. Its black with red interior and loaded (SMG). Would I beat that car or will he spank me later too? I'm very curious if there are any comparisons done. I'm guessing he would beat me?

Also, another buddy of mine is looking at an 05 530i almost fully loaded with 54k on it. They're asking 22500 firm. Is this a good deal? The car looks mint.
It has navi and the sport package with staggered 18s. The guy selling it swears and promises he can confirm it has factory warranty until 55k so my friend would be able to extend it still. I thought original warranty is only until 50k? If the car is in fact under the warranty, how can he go about getting it extended to 100k mile warranty and for what cost? I remember seeing it somewhere in this forum that there's as guy or a website or something?

I started some minor little mods recently and business has been picking up for me. I ordered and installed the black and white emblems all over the car (hood/trunk/steering wheel/centercaps) and it looks pretty fresh. I also ordered and am waiting for the matte black kidney grilles. I just got my euro stickers for the front corner lights today and am going to throw those on but am deathly afraid of screwin that up! I ordered an M5 spoiler painted and ready to go. It arrived and the paint in the center got cracked in shipping due to bends in the box! Its being refinished right now so as soon as thats done, its going on also!
Mods are so addicting. Ive had this car for a while now and have piled on the miles but man i wish i started modding MUCH sooner than now! I love my E60.
Now I just need the MTECH kit and some new wheels...

Any and all input is always appreciated!
PM me with your email address and I'll run a search on Manheim for you re: the 530 to see what they're bringing at auction. Regarding the warranty issue, I have been told by several on another board that the BMW exteded factory warranty can only be purchased by the original buyer, and that if you are second buyer you need to have the original buyer buy it b4 you notify BMW of the change in ownership & 2nd buyer reimburses 1st buyer for the price. I do not know this first hand, it is just what was posted on Bimmerfest.com when I asked a similar question about a car I was considering.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Enjoy your mods! I don't know who would win a particular race - there's so many variables to affect the outcome (were you or they heavy with fuel and 'junk in the trunk'? how are your fuel/air filters? change the plugs? new o2 sensors? unrestricted exhaust? yadda yadda). Its good to know that the 'ole 545 can still surprise a few folks. A remap, free-flowing exhaust, CAI, plug changes, fuel filter changes, and a Qualfe diff in the rear could let you surprise a few more. Then, there is the supercharger option (see Joe's - r1racer - post hehe).

Regarding the warranty, a while back a gentleman out of BMW Atlanta was selling extended warranties to secondary owners through the site twinkidneygrill.com. It has since been changed to a generic dealer web site with no warranty purchase options. Not sure what happened, but I haven't heard anything about him - or the warranties - in about a year. As for the standard warranty, 50K or 4 years is the standard factory warranty. However, demo cars extend the factory warranty to 55k or 54 months (an additional 6 months).
Old 09-21-2008, 05:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i AW - every option

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='673961' date='Sep 20 2008, 12:13 PM
Enjoy your mods! I don't know who would win a particular race - there's so many variables to affect the outcome (were you or they heavy with fuel and 'junk in the trunk'? how are your fuel/air filters? change the plugs? new o2 sensors? unrestricted exhaust? yadda yadda). Its good to know that the 'ole 545 can still surprise a few folks. A remap, free-flowing exhaust, CAI, plug changes, fuel filter changes, and a Qualfe diff in the rear could let you surprise a few more. Then, there is the supercharger option (see Joe's - r1racer - post hehe).

Regarding the warranty, a while back a gentleman out of BMW Atlanta was selling extended warranties to secondary owners through the site twinkidneygrill.com. It has since been changed to a generic dealer web site with no warranty purchase options. Not sure what happened, but I haven't heard anything about him - or the warranties - in about a year. As for the standard warranty, 50K or 4 years is the standard factory warranty. However, demo cars extend the factory warranty to 55k or 54 months (an additional 6 months).

Remap: what kind?
exhaust: cost efficient yet good solution?
CAI: cost efficient yet good solution?
Yes, my 545 still hauls balls surprisingly. Im going to get the plugs changed right now. what does the dealer use? should i just stick with that? im still under the 100k mnt pckg, so they're gonna do it, but im almost scared to take the car there right now cuz i dont want them fiddling with other stuff right before my stuff expires requiring me to return and shell out big bucks. u think this is a legitimate concern?

I guess the car is a demo car then bc it is definitely covered until 55k. is 22.5k a good price, and would u recommend NOT buying a demo car then?