E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My 535D seriously losing power

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 12:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d Sport Saloon / Carbon Black / E-maps re-map / 20" Vortex R alloys - carbon black / Pro-Nav / Vis pack / heated leather / enough for now /

Originally Posted by mogsyman' post='527244' date='Feb 4 2008, 11:15 PM
Hi guys

Called the dealer this morning and they claim they have never heard of this fault to date, and that it would be a waste of time bring the car along as the ECU will not record this event even though the car has gone into 'limp home' mode three times now. They have suggested that I drive the car and if it should happen again, then come along at that time and leave the car running so they can plug in a laptop and hopefully identify the fault.

The service manager suggests that it is probably a faulty sensor and may even fix itself!

I have no choice but to drive the car. If I should have an accident as a result of this I guarantee BMW will get a letter from my lawyers!

I agree with Westcoast - that dealer attitide stinks.
I'd try a call to BMW assist - the mobile guys at least they can read any fault codes. If it went into limp mode then something will be recorded as the reason.
Good luck
Old 02-05-2008, 01:15 AM
Members

It's not the air filter. If your air filter is dirty your car is just a bit slower, this is way worse.
Maybe your throttle cabel isn`t doing his job good anymore??
Old 02-05-2008, 02:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Saloon / Carbon Black / E-maps re-map / 20" Vortex R alloys - carbon black / Pro-Nav / Vis pack / heated leather / enough for now /

Nope, throttle is electronic.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 535D M Sport Space Grey, Comfort Seat, full leather, iPod, climate pack, comms pack, heated seats, tinted windows, sports gearbox + paddle shift, 19" wheels

Happened again today and the dealer has now agreed to take the car and have a poke around.

The service manager also suggests his 'chap' who spoke to me yesterday does not know what he is talking about and the car should have a log of 'limp home' reasons in the ecu.

Hopefully they'll get it sorted!

Cheers
Old 02-05-2008, 11:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Not had any problem like that. Hope you get it fixed!
Old 02-07-2008, 05:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 02/05 E61 535D M SPORT - Silver Grey*Grey Dakota Leather*Bi Xenon Adaptive Headlights * Professional Navigation System * Extended Voice Control * TV * Bluetooth With Telematics * BMW 6 CD Changer * STYLE 172 18" RIMS * Moonroof * Velour Mats * Dimming/ Folding Ext/Int Mirrors * Electric Heated Front Seats * Sports Seats * High Beam Assist * M Aerodynamic Pack * M Rear Spoiler * High Gloss Shadow Line * Sun Protection Glass * Anthracite Headlining * ISOFIX Package * Tracker Monitor * Top Tint Screen* IPOD MOST* DMS*

Had exactly the same with our '54 535D Msport (42,000 mls) back in Nov. No problem when starting the engine but after a while car would switch into limp mode. -Needless to say it all started as we set off for a d/w in France.

Phoned dealer en route and they suggested to continue if no warning lights came on and if car felt ok.

On returning, dropped car at dealer and they quickly found it was a fractured hose to do wthe the turbo. All fixed quickly under warranty.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 535D M Sport Space Grey, Comfort Seat, full leather, iPod, climate pack, comms pack, heated seats, tinted windows, sports gearbox + paddle shift, 19" wheels

The car has been in the dealer today and they have diagnosed a faulty ecu (although they called it a DME?) and have ordered one form Germany which will take a week.

They have lent me a 3 series vert and from Monday a Z4M for the rest of the week, so not all bad

Hopefully they aren't simply guesing here......
Old 02-11-2008, 04:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mogsyman' post='528491' date='Feb 7 2008, 06:54 PM
The car has been in the dealer today and they have diagnosed a faulty ecu (although they called it a DME?) and have ordered one form Germany which will take a week.

They have lent me a 3 series vert and from Monday a Z4M for the rest of the week, so not all bad

Hopefully they aren't simply guesing here......
Sounds remarkably similar to the problems I have been having - take a look at my posts but I was at least getting error messages

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry523773
Old 02-18-2008, 12:50 PM
Members

Thanks for all your replies.

My car is now back and in safe hands, and the diagnosis is as follows:

8 days to replace the ECU. This appears to include two days programming what was established as a non faulty part

1 day to confirm the car has a faulty pressure sensor (whatever that is?), ordered and fitted.

Hopefully it will be OK now...