E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My 535D seriously losing power

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D M Sport Space Grey, Comfort Seat, full leather, iPod, climate pack, comms pack, heated seats, tinted windows, sports gearbox + paddle shift, 19" wheels

Not sure if anyone can help here?

Car is a 535D, June 2007 LCI, with SAT and 18600 miles on the clock.

On Thursday I was driving through a local village ans as I slowed down for a junction and I pressed the accelerator nothing happened. I was already rolling and the car didn't rev or accelerate and eventually I pressed the kickdown happened and away after a second or two it went. I thought at the time it was simply a gearbox glitch.

I have driven over 350 miles since that incident and coming home tonight the same thing happened again only for a couple of miles. I'd overtaken a car and slowed down, went to hit the throttle and found it would not really accelerate at all. The car would not go over 60 (ish) in any gear and in D from a standing start will only go fast enough to change to second and then stay at about 4000 RPM, not changing gear and not accelerating. Whilst travelling at 50mph, if you put your foot hard down it just doesn't do anything, other than change gears.

It seemed to fix itself when I had to stop at a junction but then happened again a short time afterwards.................

It's just been serviced and had new BMW software to cure iPod and other problems.

There are no warning lights or messages in iDrive suggesting the car thinks it's OK, but obviously has a problem.

I'll call the garage tomorrow but wondered if anybody else has had similar symptoms either in petrol or diesel E60's?

Cheers and thanks

Mogs
Old 02-03-2008, 01:26 PM
Members

Sorry to hear about that... my next car is going to be the diesel when it comes to the US; so pleas keep me posted.
If I had to guess it almost sounds like a drive by wire throttle issue?
Old 02-03-2008, 10:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 525d M Sport in Carbon Black

Originally Posted by mogsyman' post='526691' date='Feb 3 2008, 08:12 PM
Not sure if anyone can help here?

Car is a 535D, June 2007 LCI, with SAT and 18600 miles on the clock.

On Thursday I was driving through a local village ans as I slowed down for a junction and I pressed the accelerator nothing happened. I was already rolling and the car didn't rev or accelerate and eventually I pressed the kickdown happened and away after a second or two it went. I thought at the time it was simply a gearbox glitch.

I have driven over 350 miles since that incident and coming home tonight the same thing happened again only for a couple of miles. I'd overtaken a car and slowed down, went to hit the throttle and found it would not really accelerate at all. The car would not go over 60 (ish) in any gear and in D from a standing start will only go fast enough to change to second and then stay at about 4000 RPM, not changing gear and not accelerating. Whilst travelling at 50mph, if you put your foot hard down it just doesn't do anything, other than change gears.

It seemed to fix itself when I had to stop at a junction but then happened again a short time afterwards.................

It's just been serviced and had new BMW software to cure iPod and other problems.

There are no warning lights or messages in iDrive suggesting the car thinks it's OK, but obviously has a problem.

I'll call the garage tomorrow but wondered if anybody else has had similar symptoms either in petrol or diesel E60's?

Cheers and thanks

Mogs
Could it be the small turbo on it's way out as reported elsewhere here on e60 ? do a search for 'small turbo 535' it should bring up a few results.

Good luck
Old 02-03-2008, 11:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 525d LCI - xenon, tv function,grey dakota leather,titanium silver,244 radial spokes.

I think there might be somethign wrong with the turbo... Coz what you are experiencing is immense turbo-lag
Old 02-04-2008, 12:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: M6 Silverstone II

I seem recall that the recent reports of " turbo Failure " were actually.... faulty / loose vacuum hoses on the actuator valve between

the small and large tubo's under the airbox.

I don't think i have heard of any actual failures on this engine whether mapped or not .

I'm sure you will let us know what the $tealer diagnoses.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Saloon / Carbon Black / E-maps re-map / 20" Vortex R alloys - carbon black / Pro-Nav / Vis pack / heated leather / enough for now /

Hang on scare-mongerers! - Nothing on here points definitively to turbo failure at the mo.
Sounds like limp-mode to me.

Mogs - What about using tiptronic? does that produce similar issues?
Old 02-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530D SE; Mystic Blue; Beige Leather; Luxury Pack; Media Pack; Visibility Pack; 123's; Logic 7; + to many more to type........... 2008 730D; Black Sapphire; Cream Beige Leather; plenty of options!

Originally Posted by mogsyman' post='526691' date='Feb 3 2008, 08:12 PM
.................. was already rolling and the car didn't rev or accelerate and eventually I pressed the kickdown happened and away after a second or two it went. I thought at the time it was simply a gearbox glitch.

Your description is similar to the fault with my 530d - this has been investigated by BMW in the last few days.

The basics are in effect poor pick-up/revs from lower speed/engine rev conditions, similar to your rolling to a stop and then applying throttle - the engine fails to build revs, and or gear changes occur sometimes dropping a gear as the system is confused by the throttle demand - three times my e60 has not picked up at all recently; other times it can be 'sluggish' to pick up from low revs. The only way out of this condition of no response to throttle demand I've found has been forcing a gear change by selecting DS (from D) this has allowed the engine system to 'sort' itself out.

My view is this started post recent software upgrades as I?d noticed then that the car had undergone a ?personality? transplant since the last upgrade - this would now appear to be bearing out as my dealers engineer has tested the car on the road and via diagnostics; they?ve checked current PUMA case?s and recognised my e60?s condition as being the same as a current PUMA case (I do not know reference, but will try to source) ? the engineers opinion is there is a fault in the EGS software and the solution is a software update which is likely in the next release due March 08.

I?m not sure if this helps you, however it?s worth a mention to your dealer when they check your 535d to check out the PUMA too.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530 XD TOURING Luxe, 231HP

Just a suggestion: When air filter get dirty Horsepower goes down (or it damned feel like it). Check air filter and change it if it looks dirty. I had problem recently on another car. I thought Turbo died...but it was just an air filter being a bit too old although it had not reached specified lifetime....

Cheers
Old 02-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 535D M Sport Space Grey, Comfort Seat, full leather, iPod, climate pack, comms pack, heated seats, tinted windows, sports gearbox + paddle shift, 19" wheels

Hi guys

Called the dealer this morning and they claim they have never heard of this fault to date, and that it would be a waste of time bring the car along as the ECU will not record this event even though the car has gone into 'limp home' mode three times now. They have suggested that I drive the car and if it should happen again, then come along at that time and leave the car running so they can plug in a laptop and hopefully identify the fault.

The service manager suggests that it is probably a faulty sensor and may even fix itself!

I have no choice but to drive the car. If I should have an accident as a result of this I guarantee BMW will get a letter from my lawyers!
Old 02-04-2008, 02:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Mogs, that is a Bullshit attitude from your dealer.My old car died 3 times and the last time I almost got run down by a semi truck ! Take it back and let them figure it out, your car is not safe to drive, if you were making a turn across a traffic lane with oncoming traffic and the car died just think what could happen ! Good luck !

Quick Reply: My 535D seriously losing power