E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My 08 535i was trying to kill me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010 | 07:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather with Bamboo Wood, Sport-Premium-Cold Weather Packages, Sport Auto with Shift Paddles, Navigation, iPod & USB adapter, Satellite Radio, Heated Rear Seats

I was driving on highway and felt there was something wrong with my 535. I was pushing the gas pedal at 60mile but the rpm didn't go up and my car didn't go faster. So I was trying to push the gas pedal again but I got engine light warning and the engine was turned off by itself on HIGHWAY. I couldn't control my car but I could pullover safely. My car engine could start again however it was vibrating. I could feel it from the drivers sit. I went to BMW Service center right away and left my car because I didn't want to drive. Maybe I could have a very serious car accident. They are going to fix it tomorrow morning and will let me know what the problem is.

Anyone have the same problem? My local BMW assistant service manager checked my car and knows the problem. Do I still need to report this problem to BMW USA?
Old 02-23-2010 | 07:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '10 Switzer "Ultimate Street Edition" GT-R

Its probably your fuel pump!! A lot of members have this problem with there car...
Old 02-23-2010 | 07:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Old 02-23-2010 | 07:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather with Bamboo Wood, Sport-Premium-Cold Weather Packages, Sport Auto with Shift Paddles, Navigation, iPod & USB adapter, Satellite Radio, Heated Rear Seats

Originally Posted by skeeter
Its probably your fuel pump!! A lot of members have this problem with there car...
A lot of members had the same problem? BMW recalls?
Old 02-23-2010 | 07:53 PM
Contributors

the n54 engines have been known to have a faulty high pressure fuel pump, as skeeter has stated. My car qualified for the lemon law along with a few other members. I strongly urge you to take your vehicle to the dealership. if the problem persists, contact a lemon law attorney.
Old 02-24-2010 | 02:42 AM
Senior Members

Well known problem, search HPFP ( high pressure fuel pump ).
Old 02-24-2010 | 04:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

holy crap, i swear just knowing that right there would make me stay far away from the 535.. thank god your ok, but that must have scared the living crap out of you!
Old 02-24-2010 | 05:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

It's funny how we're seeing so much media attention focused on Toyota lately when the potentially catastrophic consequences of an HPFP failure are still flying under the radar screen. This is a real risk for many owners including many members here. BMW needs to recall these cars, and do it fast. Someone's car experiencing the symptoms described in the OP at the wrong time (turning into traffic etc) could have severe consequences. It isn't enough to simply extend the warranty as BMW seems to have done - these things need to be recalled and replaced with a more robust design. The chances are that at some point soon we will see a serious incident attributed to the HPFP - a known design flaw that BMW has chosen to essentially sweep under the carpet. That didn't turn out too well for Toyota, and it won't turn out well for BMW.
Old 02-24-2010 | 06:11 AM
Contributors

wow crazy stories I hear on these forums with the 5 series in general. All is in my head right now are the stories gathered up and I am doubting of my M5 now lol ( joking I love that car) but seriously, it scares me a little bit in case that would happen to me. I did not know BMW has so many problems... Do you guys think the Merc or the Audi has as much problems as BMW?
Old 02-24-2010 | 06:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by bmw550ifreak
wow crazy stories I hear on these forums with the 5 series in general. All is in my head right now are the stories gathered up and I am doubting of my M5 now lol ( joking I love that car) but seriously, it scares me a little bit in case that would happen to me. I did not know BMW has so many problems... Do you guys think the Merc or the Audi has as much problems as BMW?
kidding right? Every manufacture has their own share of problems. on forums you only hear about the negatives not so much the positive... Does everyone want me to post that my car got me safe to work on a daily basis without a hitch?

Quick Reply: My 08 535i was trying to kill me!!!