E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

MP3 playback vs. Aux in vs. Ipod retro

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 05:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i silver gray, black leather, cold weather package, steptronic, rear side air bags, multi-contour seats, navigation, Logic 7, HUD, Sirius, HD radio

Originally Posted by SveaRike' post='342469' date='Oct 6 2006, 11:12 PM
My apologies in advance but I'm not very tech savy when it comes to this. I recently got an Ipod and have bought alot of songs on Itunes. I'm wondering if the smartest thing to do to listen to my new music in my 05 545 is to just burn the music as MP3 data onto a CD, have my car MP3 enabled and call it a day, or have the Aux installed, or do the Ipod retrofit. My dealer quoted $385 for AUX in and $540 for the Ipod retro fit. I dont like the idea of having to play around with my Ipod while Im driving, I'd much rather use my Idrive. My guess is that most people out there are just utilizing the MP3 CD playback especially since there is no additional cost involved.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Svearike

You should be aware that there is no direct way to burn songs purchased from iTunes to CD's as MP3's. There is a work around where you can make audio CD's from the iTunes songs and then reimport them into iTunes as MP3's. Therse MP3's can then be burned to CD's without a problem. This is a pain caused by the proprietary format used by Apple and the company's need to prevent unrestricted copying and distribution of copyrighted material. The best alternative is the iPod interface which delivers a clean digital signal to the audio system.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by CarGuy' post='343078' date='Oct 9 2006, 09:06 AM
You should be aware that there is no direct way to burn songs purchased from iTunes to CD's as MP3's. There is a work around where you can make audio CD's from the iTunes songs and then reimport them into iTunes as MP3's. Therse MP3's can then be burned to CD's without a problem. This is a pain caused by the proprietary format used by Apple and the company's need to prevent unrestricted copying and distribution of copyrighted material. The best alternative is the iPod interface which delivers a clean digital signal to the audio system.

Sorry for being pedantic here.... but speaking technically, the iPod doesn't actually deliver a digital signal. The music is stored digitally.... but the output from both the line out and headphone jacks are analog. The iPods all feature D/A converters.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:34 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for being pedantic here.... but speaking technically, the iPod doesn't actually deliver a digital signal. The music is stored digitally.... but the output from both the line out and headphone jacks are analog. The iPods all feature D/A converters.
Reading your comment, it trickles something in my mind is that signal output from iPod connector (not the headphone jack) to BMW adpter could be digital. I have not done any research as yet, but I guess so. Any comment?
Old 10-09-2006, 01:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by my530i' post='343161' date='Oct 9 2006, 02:34 PM
Reading your comment, it trickles something in my mind is that signal output from iPod connector (not the headphone jack) to BMW adpter could be digital. I have not done any research as yet, but I guess so. Any comment?

It absolutely is not a digital signal coming out of the iPod.

The Line Output from the iPod bypasses the internal headphone amplifier.... which is a slight advantage... but it is still an analog signal.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:25 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I found Apple iPod pinouts as below:
Apple iPod MP3 player dock pinout
Used in 3rd and later generation iPods for charging, connecting to a PC via USB or Firewire, to a stereo via line-out, to a serial device (controlled via the Apple Accessory Protocol). This connector exists in all Apple iPod MP3 player (iPod 1G, 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G, Nano, Shuffle)

Pin Signal Description
1 GND Ground (-), internaly connected with Pin 2 on iPod motherboard
2 GND Audio & Video ground (-), internaly connected with Pin 2 on iPod motherboard
3 Right Line Out - R (+) (Audio output, right channel)
4 Left Line Out - L(+) (Audio output, left channel)
5 Right In Line In - R (+)
6 Left In Line In - L (+)
8 Video Out Composite video output (only when slideshow active on iPod Photo)
9 S-Video Chrominance output for iPod Color, Photo only
10 S-Video Luminance output for iPod Color, Photo only
11 GND Serial GND
12 Tx ipod sending line, Serial TxD
13 Rx ipod receiving line, Serial RxD
15 GND Ground (-), internaly connected with pin 16 on iPod motherboard
16 GND USB GND (-), internaly connected with pin 15 on iPod motherboard
18 3.3V 3.3V Power (+)
Stepped up to provide +5 VDC to USB on iPod Camera Connector. If iPod is put to sleep while Camera Connector is present, +5 VDC at this pin slowly drains back to 0 VDC.
19,20 +12V Firewire Power 12 VDC (+)
21 Accessory Indicator/Serial enable Different resistances indicate accessory type:
1kOhm - iPod docking station, beeps when connected
10kOhm - Takes some iPods into photo import mode
500kOhm - related to serial communication / used to enable serial communications Used in Dension Ice Link Plus car interface
1MOhm - Belkin auto adaptor, iPod shuts down automatically when power disconnected Connecting pin 21 to ground with a 1MOhm resistor does stop the ipod when power (i.e. Firewire-12V) is cut. Looks to be that when this pin is grounded it closes a switch so that on loss of power the Ipod shuts off. Dock has the same Resister.
22 TPA (-) FireWire Data TPA (-)
23 5 VDC (+) USB Power 5 VDC (+)
24 TPA (+) FireWire Data TPA (+)
25 Data (-) USB Data (-)
26 TPB (-) FireWire Data TPB (-)
27 Data (+) USB Data (+)
Pins 25 and 27 may be used in different manner. To force the iPod 5G to charge in any case, when 'USB Power 5 VDC' (pin 23) is fed, 25 must be connected to 5V through a 10kOhm resistor, and 27 must be connected to the Ground (for example: pin 1) with a 10kOhm resistor.
28 TPB (+) FireWire Data TPB (+)
29,30 GND FireWire Ground (-)

30 pin iPOD special connector at the player ( white side up)
Back side of dock connector;
2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20 22 24 26 28 30
1 3 5 7 9 11 13 15 17 19 21 23 25 27 29

Depending which signal pin BMW ipod connector connects to. It it connects to Firewire pins, it'll be digital. If it grabs pin 2 and 3 from iPod pin connector, it'll be analog.