E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

MP3 playback vs. Aux in vs. Ipod retro

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 07:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545i, Jet Black, Black Leather, Black Anthracite. Sport Pkg, HUD, NAV, 20-way Comfort Seats, Prem Snd Pkg Logic7, Htd Rear Seats, Rear side impact, Cold Weather Pkg, Fold Down Rear Seat/Ski bag, Soon 2B chromed rims. Picked up in Munich, Drove it to Prague, Vienna, Salburg & Bremerhaven. Put on 1300 miles. Enjoyed driving it 140mph on Autobahn (4,400 rpm).

My apologies in advance but I'm not very tech savy when it comes to this. I recently got an Ipod and have bought alot of songs on Itunes. I'm wondering if the smartest thing to do to listen to my new music in my 05 545 is to just burn the music as MP3 data onto a CD, have my car MP3 enabled and call it a day, or have the Aux installed, or do the Ipod retrofit. My dealer quoted $385 for AUX in and $540 for the Ipod retro fit. I dont like the idea of having to play around with my Ipod while Im driving, I'd much rather use my Idrive. My guess is that most people out there are just utilizing the MP3 CD playback especially since there is no additional cost involved.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Svearike
Old 10-06-2006, 07:47 PM
Senior Members

I have been using the AUX input through the line out (not head phone jack) of the iPod since my iPod can hold almost 100x more music than an MP3 CD. I've just installed my MOST iPod adapter and will have the dealer turn it on this comming week. $540 is steep for the iPod adapter. Do you have a CD changer already? It might be a DIY job and the unit itself can be had for less than $250.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:54 PM
Contributors

Well everyone have their say in this matter, but depending on what you want, you should go that way. As far as I see it:

AUX-IN - If you get this, you can plug in your iPod and let it play music, a lot of music, the advantage that this have over others, is that, maybe in the future, iPod might not be a preferred MP3 player anoymore, so the AUX-In allows you to have other or any music player plugged into your car, the problem is controlling the music player, but there are remotes and stuff for most music players anyways.

iPod Adapter - If you get the iPod adapter, the only advantage it has is being able to control your iPod on your iDrive, but how about when apple comes up with a new generation iPod? will it still be compatible? Plus you lose your 6-disk changer. How bout when iPod is no longer the preferred MP3 player, and another very good MP3 player comes out, you will want the new player and your car won't be able to take it like the AUX-In.

MP3 Enable - Just do it, you'll love it, this is a must have no matter what you decide to get between the AUX and the iPod. Plus its free, there's no hassle there.

So depending on what you'd like to have or want, you can pick between those options. Before I was planning to just install a Mac Mini in my car, that way I don't have to bother about iPod adapter or music, I always have my iTune Library with me, but now there's been some complications, so I dono what I do just yet. But currently, I have aux-in and mp3, and its perfect for me.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i

I went for the ipod integration ( it's great ) and sold the
cd changer on e-bay. If you factor this in
then the cost isn't so bad
Old 10-07-2006, 01:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i, Jet Black, Black Leather, Black Anthracite. Sport Pkg, HUD, NAV, 20-way Comfort Seats, Prem Snd Pkg Logic7, Htd Rear Seats, Rear side impact, Cold Weather Pkg, Fold Down Rear Seat/Ski bag, Soon 2B chromed rims. Picked up in Munich, Drove it to Prague, Vienna, Salburg & Bremerhaven. Put on 1300 miles. Enjoyed driving it 140mph on Autobahn (4,400 rpm).

Thanks 525iSE! Your explanation was excellent!

Svearike
Old 10-07-2006, 09:04 PM
Contributors

No problem Svearike. Always want to help whenever and wherever I can.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:08 PM
Contributors

My understanding is that MP3 playback can be enabled on the in-dash CD drive but not on the 6 disk changer.

I opted to go for the new MOST Ipod adapter. Like you, the idea of clicking and scrolling in the idrive menu rather than on the ipod directly is desirable. It seems many folks here have ordered the part and installed it themselves, but i chose to use the dealer. It turned out to be a good idea, they needed to upgrade my software to get the ipod connection to work (took overnight). The charge was 255 (299 - BMWCCA discount) for parts and 84 (110- discount, one hour of labor) for labor, a total of about 360 with tax. In addition i have the newest software, in which the dumb lawyer screen disappears on its own in about 5 seconds! Did they break down the 540 estimate- it must be labor because we all know what the part costs.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 335i Sedan

one question my 335i is coming this week or @ least I hope so, I definitely want to use the AUX input, where do I buy this cable from and how does it fit with the new 5th generation iPod?? I don't to plug it through the headphone jack like many suggest.

also pubsmeister which software upgrade did they apply to your car that makes the lawyer screen disappear? I thought this didn't happen with cars equipped with NAV and only applied to cars without NAV? or I'm I missing something?
Old 10-09-2006, 03:34 AM
Contributors

i'm at version 23
technically i'm at TDS E060-06-09-520 because i reviewed the TDS report- whether that means 23.0 or some other version of 23 i don't know

Yes, I have NAV and the lawyer screen goes away automatically in a few seconds!
It's beautiful.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by 525iSE' post='342475' date='Oct 6 2006, 11:54 PM
Well everyone have their say in this matter, but depending on what you want, you should go that way. As far as I see it:

AUX-IN - If you get this, you can plug in your iPod and let it play music, a lot of music, the advantage that this have over others, is that, maybe in the future, iPod might not be a preferred MP3 player anoymore, so the AUX-In allows you to have other or any music player plugged into your car, the problem is controlling the music player, but there are remotes and stuff for most music players anyways.

iPod Adapter - If you get the iPod adapter, the only advantage it has is being able to control your iPod on your iDrive, but how about when apple comes up with a new generation iPod? will it still be compatible? Plus you lose your 6-disk changer. How bout when iPod is no longer the preferred MP3 player, and another very good MP3 player comes out, you will want the new player and your car won't be able to take it like the AUX-In.

MP3 Enable - Just do it, you'll love it, this is a must have no matter what you decide to get between the AUX and the iPod. Plus its free, there's no hassle there.

So depending on what you'd like to have or want, you can pick between those options. Before I was planning to just install a Mac Mini in my car, that way I don't have to bother about iPod adapter or music, I always have my iTune Library with me, but now there's been some complications, so I dono what I do just yet. But currently, I have aux-in and mp3, and its perfect for me.

Good points.

I just wanted to add to your list:

AUX Input - If you are using the AUX Input, you won't have a charging source for the iPod.... unless you use a cigarette charger. Cigarette chargers have proven to be VERY noisy. You will get alternator noise, and other audible interference.

iPod Adapter - This will charge the iPod, and according to a board member who recently conducted a test.... the alternator noise doesn't happen with the adapter.

Quick Reply: MP3 playback vs. Aux in vs. Ipod retro