E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

MP3 news/rumours

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 06:26 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='202319' date='Nov 23 2005, 04:23 AM
ATTACHMENTS
B651805MP3_Compatibility_Chart.
Dang, that means no hope for my 2003 car then!?
Old 11-23-2005, 07:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by colejl' post='202461
ATTACHMENTS
[/quote]

Depends if you have professional radio or not. My August 2003 vehicle has MP3 with Bus nav/prof radio and s/w v19.0.1
Old 11-23-2005, 08:02 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by speuk' post='202491
Originally Posted by cobradav' post='202319' date='Nov 23 2005, 04:23 AM
ATTACHMENTS
Depends if you have professional radio or not. My August 2003 vehicle has MP3 with Bus nav/prof radio and s/w v19.0.1
[/quote]
No Nav at all - just base stereo (Now regretting not upgrading to HiFi/Logic7)
Old 11-23-2005, 08:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D

I wonder what people like me shud expect now Received MY 2006 car in October with Pro Nav but no MP3. Which hardware...software ... In general how BMW cud change MY and afterwards produce different cars one month later? :thumbsdown:
Old 11-23-2005, 08:43 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by igor' post='202501' date='Nov 23 2005, 11:30 AM
I wonder what people like me shud expect now Received MY 2006 car in October with Pro Nav but no MP3. Which hardware...software ... In general how BMW cud change MY and afterwards produce different cars one month later? :thumbsdown:
Apparently only October (Week 40) and newer vehicles with Pro Nav/CCC can play MP3.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by das' post='202456
Originally Posted by cobradav' post='202319' date='Nov 22 2005, 11:23 PM
Not sure if this is a repost as I am so confused over where we are on this MP3 thing. And I don't think it adds much info and maybe throws in some more confusion.
I still am confused about whether my 545i can ever have MP3 capability. My understanding is that we have (1) basic software (e.g., Tiger) and (2) versions (e.g., 19.01). I think that I once read that only certain renditions of the basic software (1) will allow MP3 capabillity. Is this correct? And, if so, what beginning rendition of the basic software (1) will allow MP3? Finally, can the basic software (1) be updated in my car if necessary to get MP3 capability? I have tried to get clarification on this issue before, but to no avail. Ironically, I don't much care if I can play MP3's or not, but I am darned curious about the anwers to the questions I am raising.

Help! ~{;^)
I don't think there is any other software in the terms you're referring to it. There is one set of software for ALL E60 vehicles, which is contained within the CIP releases. That version is E060-year-month-version, e.g., E060-05-09-535. Then there are the CIP versions, which encompass many different vehicles other than E60 (e.g., CIP 19.02.03). The CIP version number can change WITHOUT the E60 software changing, because CIP contains software for other vehicles as well. But since the version of software for a specific vehicle is implicit in the CIP version, BMW Centers usually refer to CIP.

But as an example, there were no changes for E60 between CIP 19.01 and 19.02 (which some dealers irritating and confusingly refer to as "19.1" and "19.2"); both contained E60 software E060-05-09-530.

This software is the same for ALL E60 vehicles. Now, as to the concept of things being perhaps supported only on one set of E60s and not others, well, that might be something that is dependent on the hardware. So a particular vehicle might have literally the same version of the software as another, but one can play back MP3s and the other cannot. That implies a hardware difference, which is what I was alluding to above. I don't think there is any other "basic software" in these terms. The only software of any type for the vehicle is via CIP (which in turn contains the software specific to E60, but which applies to all models of E60). Now, there may be hardware/firmware differences, but these are unlikely to be able to be changed by a service facility.

As of right now, my Week 40 vehicle with Nav Pro/CCC and E060-05-09-535 (CIP 19.02.03) can play MP3s in the single slot CD player.

- If it is ONLY the software that enables it, in theory, anyone should be able to go out and get this update, and begin playing MP3s.

- However, if it is a combination with this software version level AND updated hardware, this means that existing owners will NOT be able to just upgrade the software to play MP3s.

- IF it will be possible with a future software upgrade WITHOUT a hardware upgrade, then that means BMW and/or Siemens VDO are still working on optimizing MP3 playback on the "older" CCC units (if there is in fact a difference between CCC)

So, in sum, I have seen nothing to indicate that there is another, "basic", level of software that could be upgraded. There is the hardware, and the software releases that apply to all E60 vehicles, and that's it. Now, if there are hardware differences, then yes, the same version of software could have different features and functionality on different vehicles, just as there are differences between vehicles with M-ASK with a particular CIP version and vehicles with CCC and that same CIP version.
[/quote]
Thanks much das. Great answer. You totally erased my confusions about software, MP3, etc. One more issue. You mention Nav Pro/CCC. I still don't understand what Nav Pro is versus what I have. Indeed, I don't even know what I have--except Idrive, Nav, big screen, weather channels, and Sirius. Can you guess what I have and what it is called. And, I don't know what CCC is. I know it is not Carbon Copy Cloner. ~{;^) As I recall, you are a Mac user. I use both. When posting, I use one laptop or the other, but usually the Dell because it has a larger screen. My 12" iBook is for travel and fun. Sorry for my double dumb.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D

Originally Posted by das' post='202504
Apparently only October (Week 40) and newer vehicles with Pro Nav/CCC can play MP3.
[/quote]
That leads us to a conclusion that there cud be MY2006 cars with different hardware 2 months since the start of production. That is very wise of BMW and they might have to pay for that dearly.....
Old 11-23-2005, 09:22 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by vnod' post='202507' date='Nov 23 2005, 12:04 PM
Thanks much das. Great answer. You totally erased my confusions about software, MP3, etc. One more issue. You mention Nav Pro/CCC. I still don't understand what Nav Pro is versus what I have. Indeed, I don't even know what I have--except Idrive, Nav, big screen, weather channels, and Sirius. Can you guess what I have and what it is called. And, I don't know what CCC is. I know it is not Carbon Copy Cloner. ~{;^) As I recall, you are a Mac user. I use both. When posting, I use one laptop or the other, but usually the Dell because it has a larger screen. My 12" iBook is for travel and fun. Sorry for my double dumb.
"Nav Pro" is what we usually call navigation so the rest of the world doesn't get confused. In some non-US markets, there are different levels of navigation available.

Navigation Business uses the smaller 6.5" screen, uses arrows for directions, and does not use graphical maps. Nav Business is not available in the US. The central computer is called "M-ASK" (not sure what this stands for).

Navigation Professional uses the bigger 8.8" screen, and has the graphical maps. This is the only version of navigation we have in the US. But since the to the rest of the world, just saying "navigation" might not be meaningful, we usually say "Nav Pro". The central computer in this system is called "CCC", which, if memory serves, stands for Car Communication Computer. Thus the reference to "Nav Pro/CCC".

The same CIP versions and underlying E60 software releases apply to all systems, but obviously have different features and functionality based on the system.

And yes, I do recall that you are a Mac user. The new PowerBooks have higher resolution screens, too. I am currently posting this message from a Power Mac G5 quad core 2.5GHz system, on a 30" Cinema HD Display (2560x1600 resolution).
Old 11-23-2005, 10:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by das' post='202512' date='Nov 23 2005, 01:22 PM
And yes, I do recall that you are a Mac user. The new PowerBooks have higher resolution screens, too. wink.gif I am currently posting this message from a Power Mac G5 quad core 2.5GHz system, on a 30" Cinema HD Display (2560x1600 resolution).
Thank you much again. OK, then I have Pro Nav/CCC. Very nice Mac setup. I love the G5's. I was going to buy one to supplement my wife's Gateway desktop, but put my next Mac purchase on hold until the new chip is introduced.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by colejl' post='202493' date='Nov 23 2005, 09:02 AM
No Nav at all - just base stereo (Now regretting not upgrading to HiFi/Logic7)
I dont think that would have mattered. I have Logic 7 thats the BEST stereo we can get on the E60 but no MP3 capability... and as sorces say for now... NOT EVER will I get MP3 nor you...

The thing is, it has nothing to do with the Nav or not but everything to do with What Radio you have. Pre-March 2005 built cars had Business Radio for non- Pro-Nav cars and Professional Radio for Pro-Nav cars and only those with Pro-Nav have Professional Radio. After March 2005 All E60s came with Professional Radio hence their ability to get MP3 playback later on.

Its easier to refer to the Navigation because its easier for someone who doesnt know to pick out what kind of Nav they have rather than trying to figure out what Radio they have.

Quick Reply: MP3 news/rumours