E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

MP3 CCC Upgrade and Service Advisor Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 04:27 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by xoeightx' post='561684' date='Apr 15 2008, 12:04 AM
my car is under warranty still, but i remember reading some where that they will charge you for this.

kinda off topic but if i want to update my idrive hoping that i can have the new program that lets me turn on/off my daytime running lights. will the dealer charge me for just going for updates if its not malfunction service related?
xoeightx

If you read to service bulletin that Rudy posted earlier in this topic dated March 2006, it specifically states "Covered under the terms of BMW Limited Warranty" that tells me it should be free as the service bulletin even allows for how many labor hours the dealership can charge BMW for the work. Id say print out the march dated service bulletins and the detailed explaination and talk to your SA.

If it doesnt work, I heard Rudy will eat his hat.

j/k Rudy!

good luck!
Old 04-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i silver grey, 6spd, comfort seats, L7, sport, cold weather, rear heated seats

I've searched and cannot find the solution to my individual problem. I have a 2004 545 but I was told that it has a 2006 TCU and the secret menu confirmed AUG 2006. Either way, when I play an MP3 cd my car says media cannot be read. And I read on this forum somewhere that that error means it is capable but the cd was improperly made. However, on my 2007 328 loner it plays. What is going on?
Old 04-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Ahhh hell, I'll just get the AUX input for my ipod.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:29 PM
Contributors

Thanks to everyone for providing the information. I finally got the Mp3 retrofitted a couple weeks ago. My car is a 12/2003 built. Make sure to do the mp3 retrofit after updating the software. Or else if newer progman is released, the car needs to be updated to the latest progman before the retrofit can take place.

Two thumbs up for Danny of Sterling BMW/Newport Beach for taking good care of me!
Old 06-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Members

Originally Posted by RootKit' post='594221' date='Jun 3 2008, 08:29 AM
Thanks to everyone for providing the information. I finally got the Mp3 retrofitted a couple weeks ago. My car is a 12/2003 built. Make sure to do the mp3 retrofit after updating the software. Or else if newer progman is released, the car needs to be updated to the latest progman before the retrofit can take place.

Two thumbs up for Danny of Sterling BMW/Newport Beach for taking good care of me!
Rootkit,

Can you tell me the detail of what was involved in your retrofit ?

best rgs. p.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='558193' date='Apr 8 2008, 05:14 PM
Okay fellas.....Im looking for a little help here. I took my 2005 (build date 11/2004) 545i in for service today and also asked my SA if he could update the CCC software so I could play MP3's, and he tells me that I just missed the cut, that the cut off build date was 03/05, and e60's earlier then that, MP3 format would not work. So after extensive reading on here, I have found some people say yes they've got it to work, and some people say no they havent. Ive read about whether or not you have PRO NAV or PRO Radio, which totally confused the heck out of me.

I know by reading some of the other's postings "RUDY HELP" and some others they have a pre build date 03/05 dated E60 that had this upgrade done, and they can play MP3's, so if my car can truly play MP3's with a simple software update, can anyone tell me what the proceedure is? When I picked up my car late in the afternoon and my service advisor said he would try updating my car, however he was hoping to find out what the proceedure was, because he could find any info for cars earlier then March 2005.

Can anyone help me with either the exact proceedure used to do the upgrade, or maybe the name of a dealership and SA who's done this proceedure before a pre- 03/05 E60?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks

Here's whats in my car 2005 545i w/ HiFi Sterero and NAV, No Ipod or CD Changer. I dont know whether or not I have PRO-NAV, business Nav, or PRO Radio, nor do I know how to determine this....

TEACH ME OH GREAT ONES!!!! haha
That's BS. I have a 545i 05 build date 10/04. I did the upgrade and My CD player plays MP3's. there's a service bulletin that even suggests that.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i
Model Year: 2006

when i put in a mp3 cd nothing happens no error msg or anything i have an 06 525i navi prem sports and the car production date is 04/05 i think it was... does that mean i dont have mp3 drive?
Old 07-29-2008, 05:11 PM
Members

I took my car in today to get the mp3 functionality added. SA response was software upgrades aren't covered under warranty. I said just go ahead and do it. I later emailed him with the service bulletin which says its under warranty and am awaiting response. Will post update of what happens for those who'll read this thread in the future.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

IceyTys, while back before my original warranty ended I looked at the information that Rudy provided which is great and went to my BMW dealer. They service manager really wanted to help me and he new about the retro fit from BMW but from what he told me, some CCC can handle the upgrade and some could crap while being programed to the point where they have to change the CCC. He even contacted BMW Canada while I was there and got the same answer. I cannot explain it but it looks like BMW used different CCC's in 2004 some that can handle the program update and some cannot. Some dealers are willing to take the chance and do it and if the CCC craps they want tell BMW why it crapped and just replace it. It is all up to the dealer and how far they want to go and help. Good Luck.

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='558310' date='Apr 8 2008, 11:25 PM
RUDY.....as always you come thru in the clutch!!!! Many thanks.....Ill be sure to lay my case out to him tomorrow and see what he says. Ill be sure to follow up if we get rolling!!!
Old 08-02-2008, 10:39 AM
Members

Originally Posted by senorfrog97' post='635576' date='Jul 29 2008, 09:11 PM
I took my car in today to get the mp3 functionality added. SA response was software upgrades aren't covered under warranty. I said just go ahead and do it. I later emailed him with the service bulletin which says its under warranty and am awaiting response. Will post update of what happens for those who'll read this thread in the future.
The software update was covered under warranty. My iDrive changed from the brown screen to the silver screen. But I still can't play MP3 discs. Before when I inserted one the DVD or CD the icon would stay greyed out and I couldn't click on it - now it goes white, I click on it, and it says something like "no supported format"

I burned about 10 different DVDs with different settings including the settings that everyone recommended. The DVD is a Maxwell DVD+R 4.7GB. The CD I tried is a Maxwell CD-R. Neither work - I thought having the updated version with the silver screen would mean I can play MP3s but I guess it's possible they didn't do something necessary to enable MP3 playback??

(Car is 2005 545i with navigation)

Quick Reply: MP3 CCC Upgrade and Service Advisor Help