E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

MP3 capable CD-changer in 750i

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 11:56 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i, Jet Black, Black Leather, Automatic, Cold Weather, Sirius Prep and Radio, Premium Package, Xenon Lights.

I think many people here on the board have no idea what MP3 files really are, what audio compression is, what lossless MP3 compression is, etc etc.

Sirius is a compression audio source. MP3 Cds are compressed. They all give up a bit of quality for the sake of bandwidth, in some way. The question is, can you hear it? If you can, you'll have to use less compression when making your files. Or don't use Sirius, iPods, etc. if you can't stand the loss.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by m630' date='Feb 1 2005, 02:06 PM
i understand what you are saying, so what you can do is convert the MP3s using iTunes to AIFF files, which are full files...
[snapback]85646[/snapback]
You can't take a compressed MP3 and magically make it sound like the "full" AIFF. Once it's been converted down to MP3, nothing will be able to restore it back up to what it sounded like before the compression.

Originally Posted by tcumbo' date='Feb 1 2005, 03:56 PM
I think many people here on the board have no idea what MP3 files really are, what audio compression is, what lossless MP3 compression is, etc etc.

Sirius is a compression audio source.? MP3 Cds are compressed. They all give up a bit of quality for the sake of bandwidth, in some way. The question is, can you hear it?? If you can, you'll have to use less compression when making your files.? Or don't use Sirius, iPods, etc. if you can't stand the loss.
[snapback]85713[/snapback]
You got it!
Old 02-01-2005, 12:32 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

MP3

The name of the file extension and also the name of the type of file for MPEG, audio layer 3.

Layer 3 is one of three coding schemes (layer 1, layer 2 and layer 3) for the compression of audio signals.

Layer 3 uses perceptual audio coding and psychoacoustic compression to remove all superfluous information (more specifically, the redundant and irrelevant parts of a sound signal. The stuff the human ear doesn't hear anyway).

It also adds a MDCT (Modified Discrete Cosine Transform) that implements a filter bank, increasing the frequency resolution 18 times higher than that of layer 2.

The result in real terms is layer 3 shrinks the original sound data from a CD (with a bit rate of 1411.2 kilobits per one second of stereo music) by a factor of 12 (down to 112-128kbps) without sacrificing sound quality.

Ex. Say you could hear a fly flying around in the room and suddenly a motorcycle passes by, you no longer hear the fly but it's still there making the same noice.

So mp3 compression algorithm rid does thing that you don't hear anyways.
But the things that remain are of the same sound quality as the source.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:11 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The more you know about audio compression, the more you suffer
The less you know about audio compression, the less you suffer
If you don't know about audio compression, you don't suffer
Old 02-01-2005, 02:50 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Mercy' date='Feb 1 2005, 11:32 PM
MP3

The name of the file extension and also the name of the type of file for MPEG, audio layer 3.

Layer 3 is one of three coding schemes (layer 1, layer 2 and layer 3) for the compression of audio signals.

Layer 3 uses perceptual audio coding and psychoacoustic compression to remove all superfluous information (more specifically, the redundant and irrelevant parts of a sound signal. The stuff the human ear doesn't hear anyway).

It also adds a MDCT (Modified Discrete Cosine Transform) that implements a filter bank, increasing the frequency resolution 18 times higher than that of layer 2.

The result in real terms is layer 3 shrinks the original sound data from a CD (with a bit rate of 1411.2 kilobits per one second of stereo music) by a factor of 12 (down to 112-128kbps) without sacrificing sound quality.

Ex. Say you could hear a fly flying around in the room and suddenly a motorcycle passes by, you no longer hear the fly but it's still there making the same noice.

[snapback]85732[/snapback]
Excellent
Old 02-02-2005, 11:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530e G30
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by Mercy' date='Feb 1 2005, 03:32 PM
MP3

[snapback]85732[/snapback]

Clear, correct and concise explanation, I agree.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Feb 1 2005, 04:17 PM
You can't take a compressed MP3 and magically make it sound like the "full" AIFF.? Once it's been converted down to MP3, nothing will be able to restore it back up to what it sounded like before the compression.

[snapback]85725[/snapback]
agreeed, but my point was to not convert them in the first place, keep them in their native AIFF form and therefore no compression of sound...
Old 02-02-2005, 12:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport in Carbon Black / high gloss shadow line and beige leather / dark poplar with professional nav, bluetooth phone prep, CD changer, bi-xenon adaptive headlamps, servotronic steering, folding mirrors, heated comfort seats, TV, extended voice control and Logic 7 hifi.

Originally Posted by m630' date='Feb 1 2005, 07:21 PM
yes technically true, but my point was that there is a very noticable difference between an MP3 and a full AIFF?
[snapback]85653[/snapback]
Sweeping generalisation IMHO - and suggests to me that you may not have done your own experiments with high-bit rate MP3 vs 44.1Khz / 16bit sources, like say, CD :-) I'm not saying there isn't a difference, but in a relatively poor acoustic environment like a moving car, it's not the "not worth trying" difference you seem to be suggesting.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

Now if you guys really want to listen to some great tunes at way higher bit rates, try SACD or DVD-Audio.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:56 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by clived' date='Feb 2 2005, 04:29 PM
Sweeping generalisation IMHO - and suggests to me that you may not have done your own experiments with high-bit rate MP3 vs 44.1Khz / 16bit sources, like say, CD :-) I'm not saying there isn't a difference, but in a relatively poor acoustic environment like a moving car, it's not the "not worth trying" difference you seem to be suggesting.
[snapback]86160[/snapback]

incorrect, as Ive done audio engineering in the past, ... but why would you convert a 44.1Khz CD file to a high rate MP3? what would be the point? to my ears there is a noticable difference

i just dont see a need to convert sound to an MP3 , but thats jmho...

Quick Reply: MP3 capable CD-changer in 750i