E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

MP3 capable CD-changer in 750i

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 07:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the 750i press release:

"The optional CD changer is now MP3 CD-capable."

So is the new hardware or a software change that we can look forward to with out 5 series? I'm hoping it's hardware since we aren't any closer to being able to iPod our 5ers yet.

Seems like the '05 5er already has a lot of the features they are touting in the new 7er.
ie:
"Two-stage Brake Force Display is standard."
"Bluetooth hands-free phone capability."
Old 02-01-2005, 07:13 AM
Contributors

...you can iPod your E60 if you use the AUX input, though you wont have iDrive control yet, but i dont understand why you would want to play MP3's? they are TERRIBLE in terms of sound quality, especially when played loud on a good system

just wait until the BMW iPod comes out, it will be fully functional within iDrive and link via bluetooth
Old 02-01-2005, 09:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by m630' date='Feb 1 2005, 10:13 AM
...you can iPod your E60 if you use the AUX input, though you wont have iDrive control yet, but i dont understand why you would want to play MP3's?? they are TERRIBLE in terms of sound quality, especially when played loud on a good system

just wait until the BMW iPod comes out, it will be fully functional within iDrive and link via bluetooth?
[snapback]85564[/snapback]
It may not be the best but it may be all you have of that material. Sometimes it just more handy to be able to play MP3s than go through some process to get onto an IPOD like device. Someone might hand you a CD of MP3s or something you made at work that could not be put on a recordable device if you are in a high security area. Just more options for more owners.

In the E60/E61/E63/E64 parts catalog they show many of the radio/CD controllers as being MP3 units. So I believe it should be just software enable at some point in time.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
BMW5_Radios.doc (28.5 KB, 118 views)
Old 02-01-2005, 10:06 AM
Contributors

i understand what you are saying, so what you can do is convert the MP3s using iTunes to AIFF files, which are full files...

MP3 technology takes up only 10% storage space, so you can look at it as losing 90% of the sound content...if you spend big bucks to get your E60, it would be a shame if the sound out of the stereo sounds distorted, which is will using an MP3...
Old 02-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by m630' date='Feb 1 2005, 09:06 PM
MP3 technology takes up only 10% storage space, so you can look at it as losing 90% of the sound content...
[snapback]85646[/snapback]
No, you can't look at it this way...
Compression technology is much more complex than that!
Old 02-01-2005, 10:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jmcaiado' date='Feb 1 2005, 02:17 PM
[quote name='m630' date='Feb 1 2005, 09:06 PM']MP3 technology takes up only 10% storage space, so you can look at it as losing 90% of the sound content...
No, you can't look at it this way...
Compression technology is much more complex than that!
[snapback]85649[/snapback]
[/quote]

yes technically true, but my point was that there is a very noticable difference between an MP3 and a full AIFF
Old 02-01-2005, 10:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by m630' date='Feb 1 2005, 01:06 PM
i understand what you are saying, so what you can do is convert the MP3s using iTunes to AIFF files, which are full files...

MP3 technology takes up only 10% storage space, so you can look at it as losing 90% of the sound content...if you spend big bucks to get your E60, it would be a shame if the sound out of the stereo sounds distorted, which is will using an MP3...
I record off of several sources. Although I realize MP3 has limitations, some of these sources are not even MP3 quality. So I am not limiting the source in these cases. And remember, MP3 has several levels of quality, in the software packages I use, above what many folks assume is the standard. It also is not necessarily a direct ratio of quality based on file size due to the compression algorithms involved. But in any case, Internet radio is usually never better than 64kb and frequently far less. I also record off of FM radio, again not the greatest. I record off of Satellite radio, although this will now not be required for my 6er. In four vehicles I have: 2 ea w/CD and cassette (no MP3); 1 w/CD/MP3 and Sirius Sat radio and 1 coming w/CD and Sirius Sat radio and hopefully upgradeable to MP3. I have a Samsung YP-910GS with integrated FM Transmitter and a cable audio output capability, built in FM receiver and 20GB hard drive. For the past four years I have been commuting 836.8 miles one way between work and home about every 2/3 weeks. I want to listen to what I want, when I want, and it takes all the options I can get to do it. I may not have the same requirements as the average commuter
Old 02-01-2005, 10:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cobradav' date='Feb 1 2005, 02:31 PM
? For the past four years I have been commuting 836.8 miles one way between work and home about every 2/3 weeks.? I want to listen to what I want, when I want, and it takes all the options I can get to do it.? I may not have the same requirements as the average commuter
[snapback]85662[/snapback]

so you live in a different country that you work????? damn thats alot of miles...

im like you too, I have alot of music from alot of sources...my music library will fill up about 100G's already, and I like you want to have everything with me, i just hate sound degradation as my ears are very sensative (years of sound engineering to blame!) so MP3s are a no-no for me except in my mini iPod which has no more room!
im hoping the new iPods will have about 100G when the bluetooth is available
Old 02-01-2005, 11:24 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by m630' date='Feb 1 2005, 01:42 PM
[quote name='cobradav' date='Feb 1 2005, 02:31 PM']? For the past four years I have been commuting 836.8 miles one way between work and home about every 2/3 weeks.? I want to listen to what I want, when I want, and it takes all the options I can get to do it.? I may not have the same requirements as the average commuter
[snapback]85662[/snapback]

so you live in a different country that you work????? damn thats alot of miles...

im like you too, I have alot of music from alot of sources...my music library will fill up about 100G's already, and I like you want to have everything with me, i just hate sound degradation as my ears are very sensative (years of sound engineering to blame!) so MP3s are a no-no for me except in my mini iPod which has no more room!
im hoping the new iPods will have about 100G when the bluetooth is available
[snapback]85674[/snapback]
[/quote]
Not different country (FLA - East Coast); different state (Norfolk, VA - Kennedy Space Center area, FL) Its almost all I95.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:31 AM
Members

Originally Posted by m630' date='Feb 1 2005, 12:13 PM
...you can iPod your E60 if you use the AUX input, though you wont have iDrive control yet, but i dont understand why you would want to play MP3's?? they are TERRIBLE in terms of sound quality, especially when played loud on a good system

just wait until the BMW iPod comes out, it will be fully functional within iDrive and link via bluetooth?
[snapback]85564[/snapback]
From my understanding, iPods play MP3's and AAC files (apple's proprietary digital music format) and AAIF files (uncompressed).

There will be absolutely NO sound quality difference between playing a similarly encoded MP3 off a CD or an iPod. There may be some difference between a full AIFF and a high quality (256kb encoded) MP3 / AAC.

Quick Reply: MP3 capable CD-changer in 750i