E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

mp3 blues...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 01:42 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530d Touring
Model Year: 2007

I always have the Nav+ in my Audis, this is the A3 whilst playing off the SD card, 2 slots avaialable with a 4gig stick in each. <_<

mp3 blues...-mp3__small_.jpg

Don't beat yourselves up though, all the Audi boys who do not have Nav+ are moaning that they can't play MP3s off a disc like you can in a BMW.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gIzzE' post='227350' date='Jan 21 2006, 10:42 AM
I always have the Nav+ in my Audis, this is the A3 whilst playing off the SD card, 2 slots avaialable with a 4gig stick in each. <_<

Attachment 14524

Don't beat yourselves up though, all the Audi boys who do not have Nav+ are moaning that they can't play MP3s off a disc like you can in a BMW.

so if the s4 has this , it also has the card slots ???
Old 01-21-2006, 03:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530d Touring
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by 700700' post='227353

so if the s4 has this , it also has the card slots ???
[/quote]

Yeah, as long as you have RNS-E (DVD NAV+) you have two SD card slots behind the screen for MP3 playback.
Everyone is hoping for a firmware upgrade so you can add P.O.I on one of the cards, for speed cameras etc.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by wulff1' post='227235' date='Jan 20 2006, 10:34 PM
I recently got into a friend's new A4 Avant - and was sharing the details of my new 530 xi - Idrive, mp3 player, when he pushes a button and his screen opens up, to show me TWO ONE GIG SMART DISK MEMORY CARD SLOTS -
I would prefer that BMW get software and screen features up to the level of other manufacturers. But, I am afraid of letting Siemens VDO try to do the job. I don't think they deliver very well.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:00 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far, I see Toyota and Nissan start winning BMW in straightline performance and electronic reliability. They're getting closed to BMW performance. All they need is getting up to the prestige level that BMW is having.
BMW already lost in reliability department and hp? Are they going to lose in gizmo war, too? This year they invent stuffs that people don't need: High beam assistant and infrared camera. People want it, but don't need it.
Upto now, BMW still has not had rearview camera, iPod integration, MP3 capability, flash card for MP3 player, etc. Those are hot items that drivers want and needed everyday. It needs to invent items that people use, enjoy and appreciate everyday. Not those stuffs that only a minority group of drivers use at night.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 E60 530 xi six speed manual/Silver gray-auburn/18inch-style123wheels/premium sound and package/HUD/PDC/sport/coldpackage/Sirius/M-aero kit/Nav/comfortseats/shades/comfort access tires: 245 40 18 Sottozero Pirelli winters (non runflats) 2004 RX330 Lexus - crystal white - reliable, quiet, and the "beater" car for ski trips, hauling, etc. 1995 E34 540i 6 speed black/truffle interior/alpinemp3/XMradio/M5 alloys (Many tears...sold to a fellow Boston bimmer enthusiast!)

I could not agree more -

yes, we buy BMWs for the performance, handling, and "feel" of a substantial car with tight steering, suspension and steering - and cutting edge styling.

If BMW wants to ensure that they do not lose their customers to Lexus, they better keep up technologically -

I don't even include MB - cheap plastics, horrible reliability - and questionable pedigree now that they are one with chrysler (who has benefited from the merger)

Just my humble opinion...

that being said, i still love my e60 - even with the sluggish idrive, cumbersome nav, no ipod integration, and so-so orange peel paint job -

just gripping that thick leather steering wheel and shifting that slick 6 speed almost makes me forgive bmw....
Old 01-21-2006, 10:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 640D MSPORT GT

Originally Posted by wulff1' post='227503' date='Jan 21 2006, 06:59 PM
I could not agree more -

yes, we buy BMWs for the performance, handling, and "feel" of a substantial car with tight steering, suspension and steering - and cutting edge styling.

If BMW wants to ensure that they do not lose their customers to Lexus, they better keep up technologically -

I don't even include MB - cheap plastics, horrible reliability - and questionable pedigree now that they are one with chrysler (who has benefited from the merger)

Just my humble opinion...

that being said, i still love my e60 - even with the sluggish idrive, cumbersome nav, no ipod integration, and so-so orange peel paint job -

just gripping that thick leather steering wheel and shifting that slick 6 speed almost makes me forgive bmw....
youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu are so right!
Old 01-21-2006, 10:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Originally Posted by Znod' post='227406' date='Jan 21 2006, 07:22 AM
I would prefer that BMW get software and screen features up to the level of other manufacturers. But, I am afraid of letting Siemens VDO try to do the job. I don't think they deliver very well.
Check out Bill Howard's column in the most recent Roundel. He points out that it is time to let other manufacturers bid and implement the NAV and electronics on BMWs. A simple test drive in an A6 will show you how far behind BMW is in the electronics game.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by my530i' post='227485' date='Jan 21 2006, 10:00 AM
So far, I see Toyota and Nissan start winning BMW in straightline performance and electronic reliability. They're getting closed to BMW performance. All they need is getting up to the prestige level that BMW is having.
BMW already lost in reliability department and hp? Are they going to lose in gizmo war, too? This year they invent stuffs that people don't need: High beam assistant and infrared camera. People want it, but don't need it.
Upto now, BMW still has not had rearview camera, iPod integration, MP3 capability, flash card for MP3 player, etc. Those are hot items that drivers want and needed everyday. It needs to invent items that people use, enjoy and appreciate everyday. Not those stuffs that only a minority group of drivers use at night.

To me in my opinion BMW is only ahead in the driving feel department and slightly ahead in the looks. Performance on regular production cars BMW isnt all that its only the ///M dept, electronic reliablilty HA Ahahahahha they need to hire whatever company Toyota, Honda, and Nissan is using and lose Siemens... I agree... I much rather have rearview camera, iPOD integration, MP3 capability, flash card readers for MP3 and picture / movie viewing. etc etc rather than High Beam assist and IR camera... Now how long cam BMW stay ahead? Or are they falling behind already?
Old 01-21-2006, 12:24 PM
Senior Members

Probably it's just me, but I can hear a great difference in playback of mp3 music in my E60 compared with audio CD's.

I know how to encode, so this is not the problem for sure. Lately all my MP3 dvd's are 320 kbps, because anyway, E60's DVD unit can only read 239 songs on one DVD. So encoded for test with many apps: WinAmp, EZ CD-DA Extractor, etc... All with max settings.

Still CD Audio sounds better. Sorry... It's normal with a very good audio system like in our E60.

So I keep MP3 dvds for radio-like music, but when I really feel I want quality, CD-Audio and in-dash cd-changer is the answer.

Quick Reply: mp3 blues...