E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most Common E60 Steptronics (pre-LCI)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 11:03 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

I was just trying to track down some information regarding E28s and E30s today, and came upon a 2003-vintage PDF which seems to pertain to the most common Steptronic transmissions in the E60. It's eight pages long, and has some interesting tidbits, especially how the tansmission adapts to the driver each time the car is started from a standstill. See page 5. PDF attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
GA6HP19Z.pdf (150.6 KB, 193 views)
Old 05-19-2007, 12:47 PM
Banned

Wow-our trannys are even smarter than I thought. That is crazy how many thing it detects all to modulate the tranny-crazy.

Hey what does that last part mean-"Upshift only up to the gear required" section on the last page-Can someone tell me what that means. I cant cut and paste off the pdf or else i would paste it in here but not sure what that is saying.

Either way it sounds as if only part of it is reset at each stop and go.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sleepyca31' post='426302' date='May 19 2007, 04:47 PM
Wow-our trannys are even smarter than I thought. That is crazy how many thing it detects all to modulate the tranny-crazy.

Hey what does that last part mean-"Upshift only up to the gear required" section on the last page-Can someone tell me what that means. I cant cut and paste off the pdf or else i would paste it in here but not sure what that is saying.

Either way it sounds as if only part of it is reset at each stop and go.
I think you mean this paragraph:

Upshift only up to the gear required
A gear can be stored by repeatedly moving the selector lever to "+" or "-" and then holding it in the one-touch
position. The transmission management changes gear in sequence up (or down) to the required gear. The
selector lever must be held in position until the required gear has been reached.

My interpretation of that bit is when you're using the so-called manual shift feature of the transmission, you could, as an example, put the transmission to "M4", then mash the gas, while holding the lever, and it would work its way up through the gears to M4, but not up to M5 or M6. Someone else may have another interpretation. Maybe I'll print out the PDF, get in the car and give it a try, as in "hold my drink, I'm gonna try somethin..."
Old 05-19-2007, 01:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Great info - THANKS!
Old 05-19-2007, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

ExGMan, where did you find that .pdf? I'm only curious because it originally came from this site. (I posted that version in our Technical Gallery and updated it to a newer version a while back -- the time stamp at the bottom matches the original version I still have on my computer.) I'm sure that someone grabbed a copy of it (as well as the many other great documents here) and posted it somewhere else but the funny thing is, it's been under your nose here the whole time!

If you want the updated, 39 page version of that document (updated on 5/2006 and still current as of 4/2007) I posted which contains additional "system overview" links, just look at the tech gallery of our forums:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?automodule...si&img=2002

(now, once again, I'll say to you... They don't call this place the E60 Information Network for nothing!)

(For fun, here's a link to the post that originally announced the updated document:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=354749)
Old 05-19-2007, 08:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I was just about to post the same thing but came back to read the thread one more time. I was not sure on dates but knew Rudy had posted a much larger and newer version than his original post. Not much gets by Rudy
Old 05-20-2007, 04:26 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='426361' date='May 19 2007, 11:14 PM
ExGMan, where did you find that .pdf? I'm only curious because it originally came from this site. (I posted that version in our Technical Gallery and updated it to a newer version a while back -- the time stamp at the bottom matches the original version I still have on my computer.) I'm sure that someone grabbed a copy of it (as well as the many other great documents here) and posted it somewhere else but the funny thing is, it's been under your nose here the whole time!

If you want the updated, 39 page version of that document (updated on 5/2006 and still current as of 4/2007) I posted which contains additional "system overview" links, just look at the tech gallery of our forums:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?automodule...si&img=2002

(now, once again, I'll say to you... They don't call this place the E60 Information Network for nothing!)

(For fun, here's a link to the post that originally announced the updated document:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=354749)
Rudy, at this point, I could not tell you where I found it. It was on some obscure BMW tech-type board which I found through Googling the transmission model number. Before I posted here, I searched on the same number, and got nothing, so figured it wasn't duplicative. I guess the search system on the e60info.net doesn't get into the technical articles, eh?
Old 05-20-2007, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ExGMan' post='426437' date='May 20 2007, 08:26 AM
Rudy, at this point, I could not tell you where I found it. It was on some obscure BMW tech-type board which I found through Googling the transmission model number. Before I posted here, I searched on the same number, and got nothing, so figured it wasn't duplicative. I guess the search system on the e60info.net doesn't get into the technical articles, eh?
No big deal, I was just curious. I saw the same document (with a different name) on bimmerfest and I'm sure it's been pulled off of there and scattered around the 'net for sure. (Actually, there's one particular member over there that posts much of the information we have here.)

The search function here doesn't really work as nicely as it should. Also, it's tough to know the best search terms, etc.

I hope you know that I was taking the opportunity to have some fun with you since that was the second time in a day that you linked to something away from here that was already here!

The thing that makes this place so great is that it's not a problem to mention (or link to) other sites. Conversely, some of the other sites won't allow you to link to this site...
Old 05-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='426475' date='May 20 2007, 12:33 PM
No big deal, I was just curious. I saw the same document (with a different name) on bimmerfest and I'm sure it's been pulled off of there and scattered around the 'net for sure. (Actually, there's one particular member over there that posts much of the information we have here.)

The search function here doesn't really work as nicely as it should. Also, it's tough to know the best search terms, etc.

I hope you know that I was taking the opportunity to have some fun with you since that was the second time in a day that you linked to something away from here that was already here!

The thing that makes this place so great is that it's not a problem to mention (or link to) other sites. Conversely, some of the other sites won't allow you to link to this site...
Well, I guess in my defense that I had no way of knowing that the earlier PDF (updated), was even available here on e60.net. Once you pointed it out that it was in the gallery, I was able to find it after drilling down a bit, and looking around some for it. Candidly, I didn't even know that there was a technical gallery until you pointed it out, Rudy.

However, perhaps there's a way to do a more global search?
Old 05-20-2007, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ExGMan' post='426595' date='May 20 2007, 07:07 PM
Well, I guess in my defense that I had no way of knowing that the earlier PDF (updated), was even available here on e60.net. Once you pointed it out that it was in the gallery, I was able to find it after drilling down a bit, and looking around some for it. Candidly, I didn't even know that there was a technical gallery until you pointed it out, Rudy.

However, perhaps there's a way to do a more global search?
Searching can be tricky between the board software's search function and the Google version. I suppose if you're looking for something and you can't easily find it, it doesn't hurt to post a message asking for what you need. It's likely that some of the veteran members will know who or where the answer was posted so they might have better luck searching for it...