E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

***Stupid Question***

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 05:48 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, I'm a long time member, not a frequent poster though. I've had my '04 545 for a little over 3 years now. I'm tempted to get a pre-owned '07 M5. My question is this, How does the SMG actually work? Is it similar to the steptronic? I've never driven stick before, I don't mind taking lessons but my weekday commute involves city driving whicj would be a pain driving stick. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:26 AM
Senior Members

I just drove the M5 at M School and the SMG worked very well. The transmission has a clutch but no clutch pedal so the car does all the work in that regard for you.

It responded really well in heel toe shifting - I was surprised how nicely it matched the revs.

You will not have a huge learning curve since the biggest thing to learn in a manual trans. is using the clutch pedal.

I would go for it - my only question being why there is a 2007 M5 already available.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes CLS63 AMG Designo Graphite with white leather interior Keyless Go, Heated/Ventilated seats, Parktronic

Originally Posted by ScorpioBMW1' post='426448' date='May 20 2007, 08:48 AM
Hi guys, I'm a long time member, not a frequent poster though. I've had my '04 545 for a little over 3 years now. I'm tempted to get a pre-owned '07 M5. My question is this, How does the SMG actually work? Is it similar to the steptronic? I've never driven stick before, I don't mind taking lessons but my weekday commute involves city driving whicj would be a pain driving stick.

I drive a manual convertible as my summer car and I frequently get stuck in stop-n-go traffic for about an hour. Driving a manual on these occasions can really be a nuisance, but it's something you kinda get use to. I've always been a firm believer that a luxury sedan should NOT be a manual, but I can understand how the right car enthusiast would opt for the manual in this instance with an M5. That being said, personally I'd still pick up an auto vs getting the manual gearbox....

The SMG only has an accelerator and a brake pedal - no pedal for the clutch. There is a clutch but it is operated by a system controlled by the onboard computer. You select forward or reverse with a lever like auto cars have and press the accelerator, the car goes forward or reverse, press harder it goes faster.
It is possible to take manual control and select any of the gears for yourself. However the car does not allow choices which would harm the engine or transmission. Manual gear changes can also be made from paddles next to the steering wheel. So, to answer your other question, it is similar to the steptronic.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes CLS63 AMG Designo Graphite with white leather interior Keyless Go, Heated/Ventilated seats, Parktronic

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='426454' date='May 20 2007, 09:26 AM
I would go for it - my only question being why there is a 2007 M5 already available.

Probably the typical - Husband bought the car on a whim, wife didn't approve, car went back. - lol

I use to work at a Chevy dealer in college and you wouldn't believe how many Corvette's we sold that would come back less then a month later. I've heard ever excuse under the sun. Very rarely did we eat the cost. Typical loss was about $15k just driving the car off the lot.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

SMG is fantastic but it's usually an alternative to a manual -- not an alternative to an automatic. (In the case of the M5, I realize there's no auto box available so your choices are limited.)

As JSpira pointed out, the hardest part about learning to drive a stick is the clutch pedal so SMG eliminates that part right off the bat. There is, however, a learning curve for the concepts of driving a manual. Since you've never driven a stick, you'll still need to grasp what's going on with the car. In other words, a person who is an expert at driving a manual still has to adapt to driving the SMG and has to re-program himself to the differences in timing, etc. A person who has never driven a stick doesn't have to re-program any old habits, they just have to learn the concepts of shifting manually (like when to upshift, when to downshift, what the car is actually doing when you hit one of the paddles, etc.)

Given the choices on an M5 (SMG or traditional stick), I think the SMG is the better choice for you. You'll still need at least a month or so of driving it to really begin to get the feel of things so if you decide to get the car, don't get discouraged early on if you can't keep things smooth. You'll eventually learn to shift it as smooth as an automatic!

Good luck -- whatever you end up choosing...
Old 05-20-2007, 09:44 AM
Members

My Ride: Sept '06 535d M sport ,Silver ,Black Dakota Leather,HUD ,TV, Media ,Visibility,Heated F+R seats,Comfort Seats, Active seats ,Sun protection glass,Dark Poplar wood, sunroof ,Elec Sunblinds , Folding mirrors, 19" 172s ,Extended lights Package, Debadged

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='426474' date='May 20 2007, 05:24 PM
SMG is fantastic but it's usually an alternative to a manual -- not an alternative to an automatic. (In the case of the M5, I realize there's no auto box available so your choices are limited.)

As JSpira pointed out, the hardest part about learning to drive a stick is the clutch pedal so SMG eliminates that part right off the bat. There is, however, a learning curve for the concepts of driving a manual. Since you've never driven a stick, you'll still need to grasp what's going on with the car. In other words, a person who is an expert at driving a manual still has to adapt to driving the SMG and has to re-program himself to the differences in timing, etc. A person who has never driven a stick doesn't have to re-program any old habits, they just have to learn the concepts of shifting manually (like when to upshift, when to downshift, what the car is actually doing when you hit one of the paddles, etc.)

Given the choices on an M5 (SMG or traditional stick), I think the SMG is the better choice for you. You'll still need at least a month or so of driving it to really begin to get the feel of things so if you decide to get the car, don't get discouraged early on if you can't keep things smooth. You'll eventually learn to shift it as smooth as an automatic!

Good luck -- whatever you end up choosing...
Does the SMG have an auto mode like normal auto transmission in case you're feeling lazy?
Old 05-20-2007, 09:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport, carbon black, media pack, visibility pack, grey leather, heated seats, sun protection glass, voice control, Eibach ProKit, 19" 166 style wheels, e-maps ECU remap to 325hp and 640NM, top speed limiter removed

Originally Posted by ressla' post='426490' date='May 20 2007, 06:44 PM
Does the SMG have an auto mode like normal auto transmission in case you're feeling lazy?
Yes, it has.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

its like a video game...play gran turismo or project gotham and you'll get the idea.
no, seriously.

i'm in the city too and you're welcome to come drive mine, or we can go meet up with some local m5 owners too.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by ressla' post='426490
Yes, it has.
One warning though -- don't expect the auto mode to feel like an automatic transmission. It isn't nearly as smooth...