E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

More on 20.01.00

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 11:39 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Hi Friends:

I have several new observations about 20.01.00. First, my power and times, per my GT2 g-meter, are worse after updating to 20.01.00. I did 4 or 5 zero to sixties today and got no time below 5.5 sec. My car had been doing 5.07's to 5.20's very regularly. Without doing calculations, I am sure that I have lost about .4 sec. to 60 on average. The HP power values given are somewhat consistently lower. Please note that there was no significant lack of test-condition comparability between today's tests and my earlier ones.

In this regard, I have been happy to have, but have been noting that excessive wheel spin was killing some of my times prior to 20.01.00. Today, I could get no wheel spin at all. I did one run with DTC on and got 5.70. As always, not turning both DSC and DTC off is an HP killer. I am not sure what is going on, but I suspect that the problem is that turning both off does not work any more. Alternatively, my engine now is detuned. I mention another possibility below.

My situation is reminiscent of when I first started testing. My times were in about the same range. But, over time, they got significantly better, and I couldn't account for the betterness by improved techniques. I learned very quickly that my Steptronic 545i is point and shoot in DS unless there is a need to control wheel spin or one wants to brake torque--which I don't do. I speculated that my improved results were the result of computer adaptation to driving style, but have never been able to confirm that the 5-Series computers learn in this way--as does my Z06. I quess my current situation will provide an opportunity to gain evidence on whether the 545i computer does learn driving style.

With respect to the Steptronic, while I am not sure that the Step shifts better, it does seem to shift a bit later--which should be good. If not, then the "laterness" might open up the option of shifting manually to improve times. Finally, I have discovered that the 545i apparently does have an actual rev limiter. I can't do what I will describe at full trottle--because the Step then shifts automatically no matter what I do. But, at least when I "hold" the tranny in first or second (didn't try in other gears) I can acutally go beyond red line and activate a rev limiter. If you don't know, you can hold your car in any gear "longer than usual" by holding the lever forward. I don't think I could go beyond red line before 20.01.00, but am not completely sure. How about someone giving this techinique a try in their non-20.01.00 545i (B32???).

Does anyone know if we ever are allowed to go backwards on updates? To heck with MP3 if I could get my .4 secs. back. And, does anyone know if dealers trash old software updates when they get new ones?

My Dinan CAI install is scheduled for Tuesday. But, if my car doesn't start learning soon, then I see no reason to follow through on the install. Why mod a slow car? But, of course, my car starts learning, a fix comes out, or I am allowed to go back to 19.01.01, then I can always have the CAI installed later.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:43 AM
Senior Members

Sounds like 20.01.00 remapped the shift points at full throttle. Wonder why, esp. as this does not guarantee better mpg.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

I think you should just give it some time and see how it all goes...
To me it just does not sound too objective and "solid" evidence of CIP 20 worsening the engine performance..... I mean, you;re trying to measure 0.4 of second here...........no offense but that is quiet tricky to do on your own and driving at the same time.........
Old 01-26-2006, 11:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='230081' date='Jan 26 2006, 03:46 PM
To me it just does not sound too objective and "solid" evidence of CIP 20 worsening the engine performance..... I mean, you;re trying to measure 0.4 of second here...........no offense but that is quiet tricky to do on your own and driving at the same time.........
I use a G-Meter. Check this thread out. And, I am pretty good at observation and knowing what I am doing.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:50 AM
hmc
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i Sport Pkg, 6MT

I don't think you can go back to previous version of s/w.

I personally feel my CIP 20.00.00 improves power but I have different engine.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by Znod' post='230086
I use a G-Meter. Check this thread out. And, I am pretty good at observation and knowing what I am doing.
[/quote]

I didn't say you don't know what you are doing. i just thing we should give the CIP 20 a chance for a few weeks. Also i'm not sure that 1/4 of a second worst time is a priority for going back to an older update....
Old 01-26-2006, 11:55 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='230078
I didn't say you don't know what you are doing. i just thing we should give the CIP 20 a chance for a few weeks. Also i'm not sure that 1/4 of a second worst time is a priority for going back to an older update....
You said: "To me it just does not sound too objective and 'solid' evidence of CIP 20 worsening the engine performance..... I mean, you;re trying to measure 0.4 of second here...........no offense but that is quiet tricky to do on your own and driving at the same time...."

You comment sounds as though you think I am using a stopwatch or maybe even a non-stopwatch. Alternatively, perhaps you don't realize how accurate G-meters are relatively and on average. Anyway, as mentioned, I am going to see if my computer begins to learn. The difference is about .4 sec., not "1/4" of a sec. And, to each his own with respect to what's important. Finally, I mentioned other possibilities than "CIP 20 worsening ... engine performance."
Old 01-26-2006, 11:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Gee Znod,

Having a bad day? Half a sec from 0-96 km is a lot!

Big changes in temperature, gas?

If not, seems that the 20 CIP is a safty one :thumbsdown:

Get back to the dealers and give them some advice,
who wouldn't, if not you

Where do you dymo-test your car or do you have AHRA connections?

Cheers,
Rr

PS. We're talking V8's here!
Old 01-26-2006, 12:09 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by hmc' post='230087
Gee Znod,

Having a bad day? Half a sec from 0-96 km is a lot!

Big changes in temperature, gas?

If not, seems that the 20 CIP is a safty one :thumbsdown:

Get back to the dealers and give them some advice,
who wouldn't, if not you

Where do you dymo-test your car or do you have AHRA connections?

Cheers,
Rr

PS. We're talking V8's here!
Hi Rr:

No, not a bad day. Just observing and passing on info. Yes, .4 is quite significant. No changes; tests condition extremely comparable--except for 20.01.00 versus 19.01.01. I use a G-Meter. Check out this thread. for info on tests that some of us have been performing. Thanks for your interest. And,

"We're talking V8's here!" What do you mean?
Old 01-26-2006, 12:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

[/quote]
"We're talking V8's here!" What do you mean?
[/quote]

That there is a big differance between sixinlines and V8's.

You got some answers from R6 guys, and I can't see them
helping you.

Also you have the N62 engine and the new 540i/550i are N62TU ones.

As you title goes "Perhaps Not the Best News for Some".
A good question could be, is the same CIP good for all engines?

E60's has come with R6 M54, N52 (diesel M57) and V8's N62 and N62TU engines.

Not mentioning the M5/M6 engine S85B50.

Quick Reply: More on 20.01.00