E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Month of error codes

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 07:24 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced the original battery this past January after every light on the dash/screen came-on and the car died. I used the Werker battery specific to my car.

FF to mid-July, I'm in MO for the day picking-up a new pet. I pull-off the highway to get gas, the car dies while coasting up to the pump. It's dead, I have to get a jump to get it going again. I get the car home that night and shut it off (I didnt shut it off once it was jumped in MO). Next day, the car starts, no errors. I will also add for the sake of providing info, I replaced the thermostat at the end of July myself as I had an error. Autozone cleared the codes.

A week or so later, I've got a coolent leak so I bring it to Orr (independent dealer with bmw computers) and have the waterpump and tensioner replaced.

This past Saturday, the passenger air bag error comes-on screen. I believe theres a recall on this?

This morning, while sitting at a stop light, I get all the errors that appeared in January; Stab brake, Idrive, transmission fault. The car doesnt die, but i'm stuck in first gear about 2 miles from work. I crawl into the parking lot and shut it off, heavy steering and still in first. I start the car right away, no errors (except the pass airbag) and the car shifts and steers normally as I lap the parking lot.

I'll take it to the dealer and they'll hook it up to their machine as part of the airbag analysis. I guess we'll see. I'm just venting a bit, any feedback is appreciated.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:22 AM
Contributors

i wonder if the alternator is going...
Old 08-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Contributors

Thanks! Searching through this site, it appears folks with this problem have identified the alternator as the cause.

Looking for the DIY now...