E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mix or Match

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 05:37 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i, Titanium Silver/Black, 6-Sp Steptronic, Sport Package, HD Radio, Sirius, Premium Sound, GPS Nav, Cold Pkg, cell phone cradle, iPod through the AUX port 1976 Datsun 280Z, Charcoal/Black, 5-Sp Manual, A/C, American Mags, CD, Tom Tom 930 GPS (works better than the BMW!) and the rest is pretty much stock

I'm still running the Bridgestones that were OEM on my '07 car and find them to perform no where near as well as the Conti's I drove on the '06 demo car before buying mine. I was surprised to find after I picked up the car that BMW switched brands with the '07 models. My rears are going to need replacement soon so I have two questions..... First, should I replace them all or can I put another brand, like the Michelins PS2, on the rear first till the fronts need replacement. My experience with cornering on the edge suggests (to put it mildly) that the rears with the Bridgestones are the first to break. Second, a recent post suggested that the Michelins weren't right for the 550 - izat a widely held opinion?

One other note - my dealer comp'd me a day at the BMW school in Greenville where I got to drive an '08 with Conti's all around. On the slalom course the fronts let loose first so now I'm really confused. I would like to have a balance (wouldn't we all) with even, predictable performance front and rear. Not sure that I've found the right mix or match for my car just yet. Any and all opinions welcomed.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:26 PM
Members

Originally Posted by geokr1' post='704113' date='Oct 27 2008, 01:37 AM
I'm still running the Bridgestones that were OEM on my '07 car and find them to perform no where near as well as the Conti's I drove on the '06 demo car before buying mine. I was surprised to find after I picked up the car that BMW switched brands with the '07 models. My rears are going to need replacement soon so I have two questions..... First, should I replace them all or can I put another brand, like the Michelins PS2, on the rear first till the fronts need replacement. My experience with cornering on the edge suggests (to put it mildly) that the rears with the Bridgestones are the first to break. Second, a recent post suggested that the Michelins weren't right for the 550 - izat a widely held opinion?

One other note - my dealer comp'd me a day at the BMW school in Greenville where I got to drive an '08 with Conti's all around. On the slalom course the fronts let loose first so now I'm really confused. I would like to have a balance (wouldn't we all) with even, predictable performance front and rear. Not sure that I've found the right mix or match for my car just yet. Any and all opinions welcomed.
For the budget... get Toyo T1Rs all around... they grip good... and last ok... and cost about the same as two bridgestones / continentals... or one Michelin PS2...

hehe...

I found the Bridgestones to be a little understeering when i put my Pirelli Pzero Rosso on in the back... and the oversteered when i had them Bridgestones all around...

I've got Toyo T1Rs on my E39 and i can't complain, i bet i will be going for Toyos on my E60 when i shop for tires the next time... until then, Pirelli Pzero Rossos all around.. 275/35 & 305/30... 19s...
Old 10-26-2008, 11:09 PM
Contributors

Im thinking of getting the T1Rs as well Being a University Student, PS2s are way out of my budget for my 18s
Old 10-26-2008, 11:29 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

PM sent