E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Minor SMG electrical bug?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

That list doesn't match the one I'm trying to build but hopefully it will help your dealer troubleshoot things if you choose to go that route.

Also, I realize you've never had it happen when downshifting with the right paddle but I think that's just a coincidence. To the car, electrically, both paddles "look" the same...
Old 03-01-2006, 02:44 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 Mystic Blue 530i - Sport Package, SMG, Beige Leather, Poplar Wood, Navigation, Park Distance Control, Cold-Weather Package, Premium/Logic 7 Sound, Comfort Seats, Heated Rear Seats, Rear Sunshades. Build date Jan. 2004. Current CIP version 20.01.

New to the forum. Great stuff here, Thanks!
I recently had the dealer upgrade to CIP 20.01 and have since had the audio drop out problem appear. It wasn't there at all with the old version 13.0. It doesn't seem to matter what I do with the SMG, the drop out occurs randomly. A recent 1.5 hour highway drive (no gear changes, or cruise control) and the radio and CD cut out for 2-3 seconds at a time. Doesn't seem to be connected to SMG electrical function here, more likely a software bug?!
Old 03-01-2006, 05:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545 jet black/beige, smg sport,premium,sunshades,logic7,cwp,nav,pdc,bluetooth,16.0,light tint all around,Pirelli PZeroNero

here is my observations(i don't have sirius):
-not related to:heated seats/steering wheel on or off
downshift or upshifts
manual or auto
engine or car speed
outside temperature
radio or cd or cd changer on
lights on or off
using paddles(left or right) or stick
-definately related to:SMG gear changing
and it's occuring randomly

one interesting thing:it started happening about 2 months ago,i know i did not have it before,my car was not updated(CIP) recently,i have now about 20K and it's 18 months old-go figure!
one more interesting observation-it never happens once-almost always when it happens it does it 2-3 times in a row,sometimes 4,then it disappears just to come back at random again 3-4-5 days later.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

I think I can say that my car acts pretty much like alexnyc's car. It may do it two or three times in a row and then not do it again for a day or so.

I think the key here is the age of the car, not necessarily the software version. I'm thinking that this issue is something that's fairly new and something that BMW is just now learning about so the software fix, if there is one, may not be available just yet.

Could it be something in the electrical system getting weak like the battery or some charging circuit/alternator/etc.? Of those that have seen this issue (SMG cars only), what year is your car and how many miles are on it?
Old 03-01-2006, 06:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I've been paying close attention as well and here are my findings to date:
Heated seats on/off have no effect.
I agree that it occurs closely to one another for 2 -4 times then goes away for a while.
Upshift and Downshift can make it happen.
Usually doesn't happen on low-rpm shifts.
Seems to occur more often when the car is cold (i.e. recently started not ambient temp).
Paddles or shifter makes no difference.
I'm always in Sport mode so I don't know if non-sport has any effect.

Happens to me daily at this point, but I can't seem to constantly reproduce.
I'll try to drive around in automatic mode tomorrow to see if it will happen there.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='248239' date='Mar 1 2006, 10:10 PM
I think I can say that my car acts pretty much like alexnyc's car. It may do it two or three times in a row and then not do it again for a day or so.

I think the key here is the age of the car, not necessarily the software version. I'm thinking that this issue is something that's fairly new and something that BMW is just now learning about so the software fix, if there is one, may not be available just yet.

Could it be something in the electrical system getting weak like the battery or some charging circuit/alternator/etc.? Of those that have seen this issue (SMG cars only), what year is your car and how many miles are on it?
Year: 2004 (One of the first SMG E60's - built right around yours).
Miles: Just shy of 40K miles.
Software: V 19.xx
Old 03-01-2006, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

realtyman, it's funny but for me, I only notice the problem at low rpms. I can't remember my exact mileage but I think I'm below 20K miles...
Old 03-01-2006, 07:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by drjochen' post='247724' date='Mar 1 2006, 05:30 AM
OK, I was able to videotape this now. It ONLY (however, not always...) occurs in my car when:

1) CDs from the changer play
2) I downshift from 4th to 3rd or 3rd to 2nd (not on upshifts)
3) I use the paddles and it needs to be the LEFT paddle on the steering wheel (not the right paddle or the shifter)
4) Doesn't matter what else is on in the car (heated seats etc.)

Are you going to be able to share the video? I would like to see.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:49 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='248266' date='Mar 1 2006, 10:59 PM
realtyman, it's funny but for me, I only notice the problem at low rpms. I can't remember my exact mileage but I think I'm below 20K miles...
Wanna trade cars?
Old 03-02-2006, 05:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by drjochen' post='247724' date='Mar 1 2006, 06:30 AM
OK, I was able to videotape this now. It ONLY (however, not always...) occurs in my car when:

When my stereo was freaking out, I video taped it, and then showed the dealer. They finally took the time to figure it out instead of saying they could not reproduce it. Might be able to do the same, or get them to start a PUMA case. I made a copy of the video tape so that the dealer could have it.

Been Driving mine alot more with the nicer weather, but have not noticed it. Crossing my fingers, and good luck guys on getting this sorted out.

Quick Reply: Minor SMG electrical bug?