E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Minor SMG electrical bug?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Howdy fellow SMG'ers...

Lately I've noticed a small, intermittent problem when performing SMG downshifts. Not every time but once in a while, right as I downshift, the radio will go silent for a split second. Also, sometimes other things will flash too like the HUD display (and maybe the MID display).

It all happens so fast it's sometimes hard to notice everything but for now, clearly I've seen the HUD and radio issue. I'm still playing around trying to determine how to duplicate the problem reliably but since it doesn't happen every time I downshift, I can't get enough data to precisely troubleshoot things.

The first few times it happened, I was listening to Sirius and I thought I simply drove through a "dead spot" but then I realized it was happening on AM, etc. Once I saw the HUD flash and I connected the incident to the downshift, I realized that it was more than just radio reception.

Anyone else notice this? I'll be getting a CIP update soon so maybe this will all go away by itself...
Old 02-12-2006, 07:59 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you find that problem so itchy? really now...
Old 02-12-2006, 08:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

You sure its not this:

SI B 65 02 06
Sound System, Cruise, Alarms, Monitors February 2006
Technical Service

SUBJECT
CCC: Loss of Audio in All Modes

MODEL
E90, E91 (3 Series) with SA 609 CCC-Navigation and SA 677 (Top HiFi)

E60, E61 (5 Series) with SA 609 CCC-Navigation and SA 677 (Top HiFi)

E63, E64 (6 Series) with SA 677 (Top HiFi)

SITUATION
The customer states that there is a sudden loss of audio in any audio mode (Radio, CD, etc). The audio is restored following a change of audio source (for example from FM to CD). If the customer turns up the volume using the volume knob when the audio is out, the volume may be at a very loud volume when the audio is restored.

CAUSE
Software error in Top HiFi.

PROCEDURE
Do not replace any parts.

This SI will be updated once a remedy is available.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:29 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I have had that problem every year but mine only happens during the winter months when its colder. It a high-volt condition where the volts temorarily exceed 15.6 volts during a shift. Mine does it on upshifts as well.
The dealer checked it out and could not duplicate it then replaced the battery, but to no avail since its still happening. I'm glad you asked the question so I can show them its not just my car.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=20744
Old 02-12-2006, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='238954
drjochen, thanks for the link. I don't think I ever noticed your post before. So I guess it's not just me that has this little issue. Cool.

Oh, and cobradav, thanks for the info but that doesn't really describe the issue we're having...
Old 02-12-2006, 11:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Hummm I never had the radio go out on me (*at least not that I knew*)... but what i do have is sometimes the center instrument panel, in between the speedo and rev counter goes blank and then comes back on after a few seconds... I'm not sure if the back light of the speedo and rev also goes dark also or not but I do notice the center one as it catches my eye when it comes back on.

I've noticed it happening couple times right where I was about to change freeways... and you know what! Its slowing down for the curve right there so I BET! I BET thats when I downshift too... I just never put two and two together. I'll have to watch out for it now.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Hmmm... I actually notice it on upshifts. Not often, but often enough to know exactly what you are talking about. Only since V19, however.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Okay, so an hour after I posted this and after reading pennetta's post about it happening on upshifts, I had it happen to me on an upshift for the first time.

I do agree that it seems to happen in the cold -- also, I haven't double checked this theory but it's likely that when this happens, I have a the seat and steering wheel heaters on which could be contributing to the problem based on a higher current draw.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll be anxious to see if the problem gets worse or if the newer software fixes it...
Old 02-12-2006, 01:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

I jst drove my car to check. Its not here today. But thats exactly the problem, its either there or not. But this actually depends on stop/start the car, i.e., it will be there either not at all or all the time I drive.

Quick Reply: Minor SMG electrical bug?