E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

"Minor front end collisions cost big on E60 "

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 04:17 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by phototalk123' date='Oct 27 2005, 01:19 PM
I remember somebody mentioned that if you got a dent on the hood
we have to replace it, because it is aluminum.
[snapback]189633[/snapback]

What about what phototalk123 said?
Old 10-28-2005, 04:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525Xi, premium package, premium sound, steptronic, bi-xenon adaptive lights, PDC, rear sun shade, rear heating, cold weather package.

Originally Posted by jet190rs' date='Oct 28 2005, 08:17 PM
[quote name='phototalk123' date='Oct 27 2005, 01:19 PM']I remember somebody mentioned that if you got a dent on the hood
we have to replace it, because it is aluminum.
[snapback]189633[/snapback]

What about what phototalk123 said?
[snapback]190286[/snapback]
[/quote]

Some member posted earlier this year.
He mentioned that he got a dent on his hood
and he went to the paintless dent removal place
and they told him it is not possible to restore
to its original shape.
He even use the aluminum can as an example.
I think if you use search feature, you can find it.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

My car was delivered with two dents in hood. Dealer noticed and pointed out to me. Said they would make it right. Their dent man came and took them out PERFECTLY. No one can tell where they were. I have run my hands over the hood countless times and cannot feel or see any indication. They were prepared to replace hood if necessary. I was even suspicious that they did replace the hood, but they did not have enough time to do that. I might add that these were dents from the inside out, that is, it looked as though the hood had been closed on some objects in the engine compartment and pushed outward. Anyway, have the dealer try to take them out, I think you might be pleasently surprised.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by cobradav' date='Oct 28 2005, 08:25 PM
My car was delivered with two dents in hood.? Dealer noticed and pointed out to me.? Said they would make it right.? Their dent man came and took them out PERFECTLY.? No one can tell where they were.? I have run my hands over the hood countless times and cannot feel or see any indication.? They were prepared to replace hood if necessary. I was even suspicious that they did replace the hood, but they did not have enough time to do that.?? I might add that these were dents from the inside out, that is, it looked as though the hood had been closed on some objects in the engine compartment and pushed outward.? Anyway, have the dealer try to take them out, I think you might be pleasently surprised.
[snapback]190325[/snapback]
Yes, I'm confident that the dealer will be able to fix it, either by removing the dent or replacing the hood. I mean, why would they sell something they can't fix?

I guess my concern is about insurance and the costs of repairs. I see 3 possible senarios happening:

A) If insurance doesn't realize the hood is aluminum -
...then they cut me a check that won't cover the costs of repairs at the dealer. If insurance then discovers the whole front end is aluminum, then there's a possibility that they jack up my premium because they now realize how expensive it is to fix damage to the front end.

If insurance does realize its aluminum -
...but their adjuster doesn't have the expertise to judge how to fix it, then they just call it a loss and make me replace the entire hood? Even though it wasn't my fault and it'd be covered under my comprehensive, I'd hate to have my premium go up because of a large expense.

C) If insurance does realize its aluminum -
...estimates the costs of repairs correctly, and hands me a check for an amount high enough to cover the repair/replacement at the dealer.

What the chances of option C happening?
Has this article made me PARANOID?!?!?!?!
Old 10-29-2005, 05:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Yes, and this is not all...

The new N52 engines (523i, 525i and 530i) with the magnesium/aluminum engine
is even more expensive to repair.

The engine is bolted to the aluminuim help frame with magnesium bolts which cracks when you open them (or try to.)
Old 10-29-2005, 01:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by jet190rs' date='Oct 28 2005, 10:39 PM
[quote name='cobradav' date='Oct 28 2005, 08:25 PM']My car was delivered with two dents in hood.? Dealer noticed and pointed out to me.? Said they would make it right.? Their dent man came and took them out PERFECTLY.? No one can tell where they were.? I have run my hands over the hood countless times and cannot feel or see any indication.? They were prepared to replace hood if necessary. I was even suspicious that they did replace the hood, but they did not have enough time to do that.?? I might add that these were dents from the inside out, that is, it looked as though the hood had been closed on some objects in the engine compartment and pushed outward.? Anyway, have the dealer try to take them out, I think you might be pleasently surprised.
[snapback]190325[/snapback]
Yes, I'm confident that the dealer will be able to fix it, either by removing the dent or replacing the hood. I mean, why would they sell something they can't fix?

I guess my concern is about insurance and the costs of repairs. I see 3 possible senarios happening:

A) If insurance doesn't realize the hood is aluminum -
...then they cut me a check that won't cover the costs of repairs at the dealer. If insurance then discovers the whole front end is aluminum, then there's a possibility that they jack up my premium because they now realize how expensive it is to fix damage to the front end.

If insurance does realize its aluminum -
...but their adjuster doesn't have the expertise to judge how to fix it, then they just call it a loss and make me replace the entire hood? Even though it wasn't my fault and it'd be covered under my comprehensive, I'd hate to have my premium go up because of a large expense.

C) If insurance does realize its aluminum -
...estimates the costs of repairs correctly, and hands me a check for an amount high enough to cover the repair/replacement at the dealer.

What the chances of option C happening?
Has this article made me PARANOID?!?!?!?!
[snapback]190328[/snapback]
[/quote]

In the case of my front sub frame repair, BMW had my insurance adjuster come by the dealer. There BMW told State Farm in no uncertain terms it had to be repaired by BMW and here is the estimate. So I got C.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

In the case of my front sub frame repair, BMW had my insurance adjuster come by the dealer. There BMW told State Farm in no uncertain terms it had to be repaired by BMW and here is the estimate. So I got C.
[snapback]190642[/snapback]
[/quote]

No injurys I hope.

The safty feature of the E60 comes first, then the insurace payments.

I have a full coverage of my E60 that costs my a ?1000 a year.

I get a new car if the damage costs are more than 30% to repair.

Nothing could be worth more than my family and the people I love!
Old 10-29-2005, 04:03 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ricracing' date='Oct 29 2005, 05:38 PM
[snapback]190642[/snapback]
No injurys I hope.

The safty feature of the E60 comes first, then the insurace payments.

I have a full coverage of my E60 that costs my a ?1000 a year.

I get a new car if the damage costs are more than 30% to repair.

Nothing could be worth more than my family and the people I love!
[snapback]190649[/snapback]
[/quote]
No, no. This was a truly silly thing. Just left Brasilian Consulate in Miami and was in a very large parking lot that was completely empty, and was making a wide sweeping turn. There were concrete parking bumpers in the middle of the lot and I did not see them. They were kinda back to back so I came up on one, rose up and when I dropped down the "C" clamp holding the Active Sway (Anti Roll) Bar on passenger side hit right on top of the second parking bumper. Felt like a damn fool, embarrassed, and looked around to see who had seen me do this stupid thing. Car drove just like it did prior to this but took it in and BMW found it bent that aluminum sub frame just a couple of mm. As we have determined, no straightening so complete replacement required.

I have my collision / comprehansive deductable pretty low so Insurance covered all but $250.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5 -- Exterior: Silverstone, Interior: Black. Fully Loaded. That just about sums it up! :-)

So just one more data point here:

I called my State Farm agent to let them know that I just picked up my 2006 530i. With $250 deductible and $500 comp my insurance cost is approximately $550.50 for 6 months. This compared to my 1998 328i which is $404 for 6 months. Now that I qualify for *multi-car* my 328i is now only $268 for 6 months!

So to me, I was pleasantly surprised that my 530i was only about $150 more over the course of 6 months!

I hope that the premiums stay this way for a while!