E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mercedes S550

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 07:29 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

Saw the new Mercedes S550 today at my local grocery store. I couldn't believe what a BMW ripoff it was. I peeked inside to see the I-Drive like controller, then I noticed the Bangel butt like rear. It has a raised trunk lid just like a 7 series. Have Mercedes and Lexus no shame. I wouldn't buy one of these just based on their copy-cat ways alone. :thumbsdown:
Old 05-17-2006, 07:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

I have seen that too. A real ripoff as you said. One thing I don't think they have rip offed is the driving experience. The 7-serie is much more fun drive.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530d High Executive

i've noticed it too:

Old 05-17-2006, 07:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530d High Executive

Old 05-17-2006, 08:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

Thanks for the pics to back me up!
Old 05-17-2006, 08:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by SolarFactory' post='283650' date='May 17 2006, 08:29 AM
Saw the new Mercedes S550 today at my local grocery store. I couldn't believe what a BMW ripoff it was. I peeked inside to see the I-Drive like controller, then I noticed the Bangel butt like rear. It has a raised trunk lid just like a 7 series. Have Mercedes and Lexus no shame. I wouldn't buy one of these just based on their copy-cat ways alone. :thumbsdown:
I heard Mercedes was the first to invent the I drive concept but BMW rushed it out to market first hence they had a lot of teething problems with I drive while Mercedes kept it in development making it easier to use. I read that off of Germancarfans.com.

I like the S550 I think it sets the bar above all other luxury cars right now. I would seriously consider buying that above the 750 right now. BMW wont let Merc take the lead for long they have a redesign for the 7 series already which will close the gap. You are right the performance of the 7 cant be matched by Merc S series but they target a plusher riding audience.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by TV550' post='283679' date='May 17 2006, 09:21 AM
I heard Mercedes was the first to invent the I drive concept but BMW rushed it out to market first hence they had a lot of teething problems with I drive while Mercedes kept it in development making it easier to use. I read that off of Germancarfans.com.

I like the S550 I think it sets the bar above all other luxury cars right now. I would seriously consider buying that above the 750 right now. BMW wont let Merc take the lead for long they have a redesign for the 7 series already which will close the gap. You are right the performance of the 7 cant be matched by Merc S series but they target a plusher riding audience.
I agree, rightly or wrongly the Mercedes S-class still remains the gold standard for any self respecting plutocrat. Personally I think MB did a very good job with the new S-class, there's some awesome technology in there (there is of course some semi-pointless "why-tech" as well) and the technology is generally being held out in reviews as being superior to BMW's implementation. S550 may not be as accomplished a drive as the 7, but I strongly suspect that the majority of owners don't care and still (again rightly or wrongly) see the three pointed star as having greater cachet in the golf-club parking lot than our blue propellors. Hopefully the next generation of 5's and 7's will address the technology side as that for me is the only area where BMW is still a little weak compared to its competitors.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

I think the flared wheel openings are overdone. They make it look like a Mazda RX-8. Or a Dodge.

But I agree it sets the standard for bankers to cruise around in. It will not replace the 7 series as the sporting luxury sedan, but for those who don't care about sporting manners, it's a great luxury car. Expensive as crap, but great.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

everyone copies bmw.
its no secret.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:13 PM
Senior Members

to be fair, as much as i adore BMW and the mighty 7. i have to say the new S is on a league of its own. Very very well done.
If my richie rich (daddy/cousin/neighbour/uncle/lottery winner joe age 60+) is going to buy his grocery getter, for sure it is going to be a merc, specifically the S.
this specific market for the S will not consider a bimmer.

all fairness, Dr. Panke agreed that we operate in the same market segment each with its unique offerings. in the end its the consumer who has the gain in variety of whats being offered.
its all good.

my vote is on the 7.....

Quick Reply: Mercedes S550