E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Mercedes S550

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 07:15 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by sc02492' post='283912' date='May 17 2006, 06:34 PM
I just don't like the way that it looks, especially the front grill. The cnet reviewer insists on putting down iDrive and is obviously biased against BMW. His quote- "the main difference between this and iDrive, is that this works well." He lost his credibility with me after making that comment. My iDrive works very well, and it took me a short time to figure it out. I wonder what he drives when he goes home at night?
I also agree that iDrive isn't as bad as it is portrayed but other than that you can't argue with his basic point and I don't see how he loses credibility. Cnet is after all a technology focused organization and much more likely than an "car guy" auto reviewer to embrace new technology - which is at heart what they are reviewing here. Even PC Magazine is reviewing cars these days, and generally scores the cars based on their technology (through Bill Howard who also write for Roundel). We should just accept that in this case Mercedes has done a better job
Old 05-17-2006, 07:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

I would buy a LS plus a 7 MB maybe if the company offers me that with a chauffer.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:42 PM
Contributors

I've seen a few on the road and the front looks pretty mean, not so sure about the back though.

I had similar thoughts about the 7-series when it came out as well.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:55 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sc02492' post='283912' date='May 17 2006, 07:34 PM
I just don't like the way that it looks, especially the front grill. The cnet reviewer insists on putting down iDrive and is obviously biased against BMW. His quote- "the main difference between this and iDrive, is that this works well." He lost his credibility with me after making that comment. My iDrive works very well, and it took me a short time to figure it out. I wonder what he drives when he goes home at night?

Same here. My works perfect.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:16 AM
Senior Members

I am no fan of mercedes generally, but the 's-class' absolutely defines luxury motoring.

If you can afford it - these ARE the best cars in their segment. It's a compliment to the BMW design direction that MB have stolen some of their design cues for their top of the range model.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

Believe it or not, a few more years to come there will be the new S class taxi all over in Singapore..
Old 05-18-2006, 02:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='284142' date='May 18 2006, 12:16 PM
I am no fan of mercedes generally, but the 's-class' absolutely defines luxury motoring.

If you can afford it - these ARE the best cars in their segment. It's a compliment to the BMW design direction that MB have stolen some of their design cues for their top of the range model.
you read my mind mate
Old 05-18-2006, 02:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

Originally Posted by Ralph-NL' post='283862' date='May 17 2006, 11:23 PM
MB is going through an identity crisis

Once Mercedes Benz can sort out its quality issues it will be a force to be reckned with. The new E Class also takes cues from the maybach. I like them. I would not drive them because I am too young.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:37 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d white, auto, professional sat-nav with internet, variable damper control, sports steering wheel, extended lighting, retractable tow bar, wing mirrors with dimming & folding, full electric seats with memory & lumber adjustment, etc.

When you travel past Heathrow airport and see the limos for airport pick-ups for the executives 95% are S-Class cars, occassionally your see a 7-series or a Audi A8. The new S-Class looks average in pictures but in the metal it looks much better. The interior is a master class and more like the Maybach than the 7-series in its execution. For the record M-B has many firsts at delivering new technology one of the major ones being ABS that every self respecting car now has. It is correct that M-B devised the i-drive first, but could not perfect it enough to put into its cars until now.

Give me the 3-series over the C-Class, the 5-Series over the flawed E-Class, but I would choose the S-Class over the 7-series which in my opinion does not look like any BMW.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:24 AM
Members

Its between the S550 and the new Lexus LS for me right now. Im leaning toward the S550 till I see the Lexus in person.

Quick Reply: Mercedes S550