E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mechatronics (sp?) reflash?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the trans in my 545 decided it wanted a divorce from the rest of my car at the end of June. The dealer had it for 3 weeks and replaced the trans with a used one (dealer warranty). Within 100 miles after getting it back the car went back to the dealer because it would surge in 5th gear. Getting the car back tonight and what they told me was that they opened a puma case with BMW and that BMW allowed them to completely erase and reprogram the mechatronics unit (which they claim they are never allowed to normally do). Does this make any sense? I will not get to drive the car until tomorrow to see whether it is indeed fixed or not, but most of the surging issues I have read about here have required the mech unit being replaced.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:11 PM
Members

My Ride: Metallic gray '05 545i Sport Black Leather with HUD, Step, Nav, PDC, CWP, K&N Air Filter, Black RPI scoop, Black painted calipers, 35% F1 Pinnacle tint, 19" RDSport RS-2F rims with Continental ExtremeContact DWs.

Curious as to what you mean by surging. My 545 likes to surge slightly back and forth between 35 and 60 MPH (in D and DS modes). It does so on a farily rythmic basis, about every 10 secs or so. Nothing unsafe or bad, but you can feel it and it drives me and any passengers crazy. Only does it when I am driving at a farily steady speed. It doesn't seem to do this while I am accelerating. Sound familiar? I would aldo then be interested in this Mechatronics issue? PLease keep us posted.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Members
Senior Members

The surging is exactly what you are describing. From what I have read it is actually slipping while in 5th gear. In DS mode our cars do not shift to 6th so that is the best mode to diagnose it. Mine however would do it while accelerating in fifth but not as bad as when cruising. About every 5 to 10 seconds, I would feel the car nose dive a little and then pick right back up. I'll let you know how it drives with the reflash tomorrow. I've read quite a bit about a failed mech unit causing but this is the first time I've heard of erasing and reflashing it as a fix. (not jut a software update).
Old 08-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

is it more like the torque convertor is locking and unlocking. is it almost like the rpms rise slightly when it occurs?
Old 08-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Members
Senior Members

That's what it feels like, but if I understand correctly, the torque convertor does not lock up in 5th. Rpm,s jump about 100 to 200.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by locomotiveBart
That's what it feels like, but if I understand correctly, the torque convertor does not lock up in 5th. Rpm,s jump about 100 to 200.
pretty sure the convertor locks up. and when the rpms go up, it unlocks. you can tell cause if you're in fifth and give a little gas, the rpms will only go up as you increase speed, but when the convertor unlocks, you can give it gas and see the rpms raise a bit without the car accelerating propoertionaly.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Members
Senior Members

Not sure how it would shift to 6th if the convertor locked in 5th. I've been wrong before though I'll pay closer attention to what it does and if it's fixed tomorrow.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:15 PM
Members
Senior Members

And I'm pretty certain my surging was not the convertor unlocking as every time it does it, the car seemed to actual decelerate for a second. You could actually feel it push you forward in the seat. Strange feeling actually, not like downshifting or going to neutral, but more like resistance being added to the drivetrain and then removed.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Members
Senior Members

I stand corrected. The converter will lock up in every gear from 1st to 6th. Guess you learn sumpin new every day.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...7&d=1139956533
Old 08-03-2011, 05:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by locomotiveBart
I stand corrected. The converter will lock up in every gear from 1st to 6th. Guess you learn sumpin new every day.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...7&d=1139956533
most newer transmissions are designed that way for better fuel economy.

Quick Reply: Mechatronics (sp?) reflash?