E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Is this a mechanical or cosmetic issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 05:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I was under my 550 the other day and I noticed the chrome bars on my shock absorbers are visible because the ridged housing has broken at the bottom and is bunched up at the top of the shock. It LOOKS broken but at the same time most cars dont even have a cover here. Is this a mechanical issue I will need fixed immediately? or is it just a cosmetic feature that doesnt serve (much) of a function? also is it possible to replace jsut the cover or will the entire shock need to be replaced? im in on CPO warranty how much am I looking at $$$-wise? What is this piece even called? could i maybe fix this myself if i have a decent mechanical aptitude?
Old 06-13-2011, 05:52 AM
Members

It is a dust boot. It helps keep dust out of the shock. It is mostly cosmetic, but there is some use to it as a dust boot. Unless you drive in alot of dirt, or mud, then it's not hurting anything.

Take a look at your hood insulation. It is another area of cosmetic/protection that has likely "shrunk" Mine has pulled out of the tabs in the front and the back. Those are the only two items I have noticed on my rig.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:00 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Steveo
It is a dust boot. It helps keep dust out of the shock. It is mostly cosmetic, but there is some use to it as a dust boot. Unless you drive in alot of dirt, or mud, then it's not hurting anything.

Take a look at your hood insulation. It is another area of cosmetic/protection that has likely "shrunk" Mine has pulled out of the tabs in the front and the back. Those are the only two items I have noticed on my rig.

great thanks for the part name that was driving me nuts. i see they are super cheap pieces - what might i expect to pay to have this replaced for me?