E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Making an appointment for service...laundry list of things.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 07:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6MT

Well, i decided i''m going to use the warranty i purchased with the car and see what BMW will replace for me. The warranty is aftermarket.

The only things that are questionable out of the list are the front strut mounts. Its tough to tell if its that, or the control arm bushings making noise over bumps. The arms and arm bushings are covered under warranty. Other things include:

Alternator making noise with lots of stuff on, and on cold starts. It makes this loud ticking noise. Also associated with it is random RPM drops @ idle, radio cuts out once in a while. Its probably getting weak.

Vacuum pump is leaking oil. Hopefully this will be covered. Everything lubricated by engine oil is covered, so hopefully this is as well. The brake booster is covered as well....since this supplies that with vacuum i'd think if would be covered.

Front stabilizer bar is leaking. This is covered as well.

Left inner tie rod is loose, requires purchasing the inner/outer assembly...also covered.

Control arm bushings are starting to dry rot, we'll see if they replace just the bushings or the whole arm...both are covered.

It seems it takes quite a bit of time for the car to have good heat in the cabin...i'm guessing thermostat is stuck partially open. This seems to be covered as well.

Anyway...i *believe* i have a 250$ deductable, but i will also have to pay some of the labor rate, the BMW (dealer) shop i go to is 177$/hr shop labor.

I figure if i get that stabilizer bar replaced alone, its all worth it...its 1400$ alone for that. Then hopefully the car will be good for a long while...
Old 12-29-2009, 08:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Jesus...that's a long list! How many miles are on your car
Old 12-29-2009, 10:56 PM
Senior Members

thats the same thing a friend of mine did with his CPO 03' 7 series.
I was wondering why he left never maintained his car: windows wont roll up, never changed his oil, etc
And just when his 100K miles/5 yrs was up, he got everything fixed under warranty and all he paid was the deductible.
I dont know if i'm brave/patient enough to pull something like that though.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Wow, thats quite a list you have there....has there EVER been any maintenance done on your car??
Old 12-30-2009, 08:40 AM
Senior Members

I bought the car with 59k miles. It now has 66k miles.

Believe it or not, i work on cars for a living and have fixed quite a few things already. radiator, waterpump, coolant sensor, and a couple of hoses. All were fixed under warranty...When i bought it, 4 things in I drive were due. I've already changed spark plugs, pressure regulating valves, oil changes, microfilters, etc myself. I could do all the other work myself, but no sense in paying full price for all the parts if they are covered under the warranty i have.

Its been one thing after another. The tie rod is recent, as well as the vacuum pump leak. The stabilizer bar has been leaking a little bit since i bought it. I just want to take care of it now before the warranty runs out. The control arm bushings seem like a wear item on these cars, for whatever reason. Alternator is fairly recent...last month or so. i HOPE if they fix all this i'll be good for a while...hell it even covers the battery too so i'll have them test that. I'm very meticulous so i want the thing perfect all the time

I've been working on it as much as i have been driving it...
Old 12-30-2009, 10:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Package, Jet Black M166 OEM Wheels M5 Style Body kit RPI Scoop BMC Air Filter Valentine One Radar Detector 35% tint all around

Originally Posted by 05545i' post='1081793' date='Dec 30 2009, 12:40 PM
I bought the car with 59k miles. It now has 66k miles.

Believe it or not, i work on cars for a living and have fixed quite a few things already. radiator, waterpump, coolant sensor, and a couple of hoses. All were fixed under warranty...When i bought it, 4 things in I drive were due. I've already changed spark plugs, pressure regulating valves, oil changes, microfilters, etc myself. I could do all the other work myself, but no sense in paying full price for all the parts if they are covered under the warranty i have.

Its been one thing after another. The tie rod is recent, as well as the vacuum pump leak. The stabilizer bar has been leaking a little bit since i bought it. I just want to take care of it now before the warranty runs out. The control arm bushings seem like a wear item on these cars, for whatever reason. Alternator is fairly recent...last month or so. i HOPE if they fix all this i'll be good for a while...hell it even covers the battery too so i'll have them test that. I'm very meticulous so i want the thing perfect all the time

I've been working on it as much as i have been driving it...
i have the same car and similar issues. control arm bushings were covered under extended warranty.

now i have the same vacuum pump lick and warranty says it's not covered ((. all the other issues you had, how to recognize them? did it give you code? i also want to use the warranty as much as i can.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vlad_b' post='1081843' date='Dec 30 2009, 02:11 PM
i have the same car and similar issues. control arm bushings were covered under extended warranty.

now i have the same vacuum pump lick and warranty says it's not covered ((. all the other issues you had, how to recognize them? did it give you code? i also want to use the warranty as much as i can.
No codes. I put the car on a lift at my shop once a month to just check it over, and this month i noticed these things. The front end issues i was able to feel by checking the front end, the control arm bushings are starting to dry rot, so i'll bet they are getting weak. The other things i am experiencing are just tell tale signs of a "getting weak" alternator. Low idle with alot of stuff on, it returns to normal with the blower motor off. The random radio cut outs, and i did have the I drive screen go black once on me.

I REALLY hope the warranty company covers the vacuum pump. I dont want to spend 400$ on that damn thing. Thats what is leaking worst.

The piston on the sway bar has been leaking slowly for a while, basically since i bought it. Seeing its 1,400$ alone for the part, i'm going to see if the company will cover it (says its covered in the paperwork).

It does not mention any vacuum pump though, even in the highest warranty, which basically covers everything. I have the middle of the road (powertrain and "standard") coverage.

The poor heat is usually a sign of a poorly operating thermostat. The car seems to take a long time to warm up and have good heat in the cabin.

Just curious, do you have a CPO warranty or aftermarket? If so, with whom?
Old 12-31-2009, 02:04 PM
Senior Members

A quick tip if you think this is necessary.....It would be worth giving the list of faults to the dealership service department in advance so they can order parts in advance of your appointment.

Otherwise, they will do the simple stuff, then will say they need to order parts and therefore rebook, you car for another visit.

I got this all the time a few years back, until one day I simply said to the service managers, I don't want the car back until everything is fixed, even if you need to keep it a month.....I got it back next day !! all fixed.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:35 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

That's quite a list. I hope you get everything fixed. Most warranties cover strut mounts so you should check on that. G/L
Old 12-31-2009, 02:50 PM
Contributors

If you don't mind, could you please share what company you purchased your aftermarket warranty, plus terms, and pricing? Also any feedback with the warranty? I'm still under CPO but would like to get an idea of legitimate warranties for future use. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Making an appointment for service...laundry list of things.