E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Maintenance $$$

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 06:11 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i 2004, SMG, Sport, Nav, Logic-7, Bluetooth phone retrofit

Mine is an '04, and very little had gone wrong by the time it had done 100k. All the expensive stuff - alternator bracket gasket, various other oil leaks, and the Famous Coolant Pipe - all appeared between 100k and 125k. It's at 170k now, and I'm expecting to do it all again in another year or two. Post-warranty R&M has cost me about $0.35 per mile, which is a lot cheaper than $1 per mile depreciation during the warranty. I'm not complaining - it's a great car, and it's worth it.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by Rizbel
Let me see, at 124K miles-- Fixed leaks (alternator bracket mount gasket, timing cover l and r gaskets, valve cover l and r gaskets, vacuum pump gasket), new set of spark plugs, transmission oil and filter/pan with mechatronic sleeve change-- all for $700, labor only. I spent more on repairs on my Maxima than my 545i. The mods are . . . that's a different story.
Rizbel, do you mean PARTS only?
Old 08-29-2012, 08:29 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

No LABOR, I bought all the parts online (CTSC, AutohausAZ, RMEuropean, etc...). I found a local indy shop that I can trust and specialized on euro cars. The mechanic owns a 740i so I know he's familiar with the 4.4 L V8.

BTW, I forgot to mention that the water pump install and AC/alternator belts replacement were included.
He quoted me for $600 at first, but then I added more job so we ended with $700 (plus a good tip). Must be the recession.

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
Rizbel, do you mean PARTS only?
Old 08-29-2012, 09:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BLaCk aBi
Forget the dealer go see john@motorcepts he's in queens

Old 08-29-2012, 09:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

No LABOR, I bought all the parts online (CTSC, AutohausAZ, RMEuropean, etc...). I found a local indy shop that I can trust and specialized on euro cars. The mechanic owns a 740i so I know he's familiar with the 4.4 L V8.

BTW, I forgot to mention that the water pump install and AC/alternator belts replacement were included.
He quoted me for $600 at first, but then I added more job so we ended with $700 (plus a good tip). Must be the recession.
How much were the parts???
Old 08-29-2012, 10:12 AM
Contributors

[attachment=172957arts1.jpg]

[attachment=172958arts2.jpg]

Spark plugs, NGK BKR6EQUP=$64

I'd say almost a grand.

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
How much were the parts???
Attached Thumbnails Maintenance $$$-parts1.jpg   Maintenance $$$-parts2.jpg  
Old 08-29-2012, 10:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by NYAWE60
My disc is an original OEM disc. I burned a copy of my disc as an ISO for a friend that bought a car without a disc. Would that have affected my unit?
Think about that statement for a moment using logic.
BMW can be an expensive car to maintain but if you do yourself it doesn't have to be. Thrust arm bushings last for about 60K or so. DVD optical is a known issue only affecting some units.oil change costs you $50 and takes 15 min tops.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:05 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i 95,000 miles, light silver grey color/ black interior, SMG tranny, Radar cruise control, Logic 7/ 8.8 inch navi, CDC, PDC, HUD, 20" staggered Beyeron wheels, LCI taillights, window shades, Mtech v3 AE, 8000k HID Bulbs, Full interior LED kit courtesy of (John@motorcepts)

Let me see, at 124K miles-- Fixed leaks (alternator bracket mount gasket, timing cover l and r gaskets, valve cover l and r gaskets, vacuum pump gasket), new set of spark plugs, transmission oil and filter/pan with mechatronic sleeve change-- all for $700, labor only. I spent more on repairs on my Maxima than my 545i. The mods are . . . that's a different story.
I thought valve cover gaskets alone were one of the expensive repairs to do on a E60 V8 ? let alone all this other work.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:17 PM
Contributors

It is. One indy mechanic quoted me for $600/labor only. Luckily, I found the other shop .

Originally Posted by NyC545I
I thought valve cover gaskets alone were one of the expensive repairs to do on a E60 V8 ? let alone all this other work.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i, Sport, Premium, Navi, Comfort Access, USB/iPod Bluetooth, Cold Weather Package, Bi Xenon Cornering Headlights

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Think about that statement for a moment using logic.
BMW can be an expensive car to maintain but if you do yourself it doesn't have to be. Thrust arm bushings last for about 60K or so. DVD optical is a known issue only affecting some units.oil change costs you $50 and takes 15 min tops.
I agree, and I will never go to the dealer for another oil change. And I already ordered the thrust arm bushings, I'll be replacing those as well. But other things like the crappy run flats or very poor alloy in the 124 wheel are annoying. My uncle works for BMW and admits the 124 is one of the best designs but has some of the poorest engineering when it comes to the alloy its made with. These things bend way too easily. Some things bother me about quality. Take for instance the vacuum lines for the cracked/corroded turbo that cost $900 to replace. These hoses are right near the wastegates/exhaust and are open and exposed, no coating, no steel braided covering, nothing. $60K car and BMW couldn't afford to put steel braided hoses in the car? That to me sounds a bit neglectful. The N54 twin turbo cars are a whole other story.

I've owned turbo cars in the past, NONE gave this many issues inside of the first 60K, hell none of them gave these kinds of issues inside the first 80K. The fact that its a luxury car and a BMW should not excuse it from some bad build traits, not all, some. I still believe it is the ult ultimate driving machine.

As I said in my first post, I LOVE this car, and I will get it all resolved, but some of the problems myself and others are dealing with, BMW should've sorted out or put out a recall campaign for.

Quick Reply: Maintenance $$$