E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

The Machine Has Finally Landed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 08:18 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='420568' date='May 3 2007, 04:44 AM
Interesting, a much more widespread problem than I initially thought. Anyone from the UK got a new LCI M-Sport manual without the M-Sport Gear Lever Knob fitted?

Hi,
I am in Canada and would like to chip in on the M-sport gear lever knob.
I dont think it is a problem as such.

The original one in silver is the standard gear lever knob which exist in all manuel E60 after 2006 - it is 'long' throw, the one shorter (black leather M logo- which was retrofitted) is associated with cars equiped with sport 'short' shifter - ie 'short' throw.

I mean there exist 2 different manuel shifters, one is regular and the other a sport 'short' shifter. In Canada (or US) the brochure specifically lists for manuel transmission LCI 528i /535i uses the regular manuel shift 'long' throw, while the 550i which only is available in Msport aero kit (in US) has a sport shifter 'short' throw.
Regardless of the M sport aero kit exterior, the manuel short shifter, thus short knob is a 550i exclusive.

The LCI production of manuel tranny (528i/535i) will not commence until september this year (destined north america), thus no one has seen nor can confirm this until a car with the specified equpment has arrived for inspection. The information I know is from the brochure here in Canada and US.

I trust the factory in Munich is 100% true to specs, the problem may come from miscommunication by the UK dealer, Manuel transmission on E60 is rare and their knowledge on it is not as well or thorough.

Ones who got the regular shifter (silver one) , if your car is not equip with 'short throw' sport shifter. The gear knob is correct.
The retrofitted short knob you got is supposed for the 'short' throw shifter, I think you got lucky on that one because the UK brochure exist an error in the photograph.

I cannot confirm if the 550i 'short throw' shifter is availble as an option for other models on the LCI line up, if available then the car will come with the (black leather M logo) short shifter.

On the part in regards to HGSL, that is confusing I agree. I have seen HGSL on older E39 5 series, it is really glossy and looks not too nice.
All E60 I have seen from around the world in sport package got the regular (non glossy) black shadow line, non sport models gets the regular chrome trim. At one point I actually think high-gloss is a type error for the E60 cars. Members please post your E60 HGSL photos, I like to see them too.

*I just noticed that in the US brochure shadowline is listed as shadowline trim, wording 'high gloss' is not there.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i M-sport, carbon black, beige leather.

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='420568' date='May 3 2007, 09:44 AM
Interesting, a much more widespread problem than I initially thought. Anyone from the UK got a new LCI M-Sport manual without the M-Sport Gear Lever Knob fitted?
I picked up my 525i M-sport yesterday.

It does have HGSL, it does not have the correct gear knob.

To be honest I probably wouldn't have picked up on it if it hadn't been mentioned in this thread. I found this site this morning while researching my USB port. Since I need to go to my dealer this morning for an iPod cable I will bring up the gear knob with them as well. The only other thing I have noticed, I do not have an aux input in the back seats.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='417450' date='Apr 24 2007, 10:13 PM
I have one small question about the interior door storage pockets -- Are they lined with any type of padding/carpeting/felt or are they just plastic inside and out?
Rudy:

On the US model, the driver's side door pocket is divided into two sections. The smaller front section is lined with felt on the bottom.