E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

M54B30 Engine & ZF 5HP-19 Transplant

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 09:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone, I hope someone can help point me in the right direction for some answers.

I intend to use a 2001, 330i as a donor car for the M54B30 engine and ZF 5HP-19 Transmission. I will transplant all the CAN-BUS controllers (DME, AGS, ABS/DSC and Instrument Cluster), but not the steering angle sensor. (more on that later). The reciepent vechicle has disc brakes but no ABS wheel sensors. I intend to use 4 BMW wheel sensors on one pulse trigger wheel, to keep the DME & AGS controllers happy. I have a way around the EWS immobilizer. The K-BUS and all it's devices will not be used. The D-BUS will be retained.

The questions:

1. If the Yaw rate, steering angle, lateral acceleration and brake pressure sensors are disconnected from the ABS/DSC controller, will the ABS/DSC controller send confusing data to the DME, especially screwing up the drive by wire motor control? I am not concerned about resulting ABS/DSC error codes.

2. Will removing all the K-BUS devices and K-BUS itself, but still using the Instrument Cluster (a K-BUS connected device) cause any problems in the instrument cluster or pass through signals to to the CAN-BUS?

3. What is the EWS connectivity to the K-BUS used for?

It would be a "Home Run" if someone had the answers to these questions, but it's such a weird application I am probably pioneering here! Even if someone could provide some sources for information it would be a great help. I have www.bmwtis.com and I don't mind the $30 fee for a day, but I don't know whats there or what to download!

Thanks for whatever you can do!

Wayne
Old 10-02-2008, 10:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by wellison' post='683752' date='Oct 2 2008, 01:54 PM
Hi Everyone, I hope someone can help point me in the right direction for some answers.

I intend to use a 2001, 330i as a donor car for the M54B30 engine and ZF 5HP-19 Transmission. I will transplant all the CAN-BUS controllers (DME, AGS, ABS/DSC and Instrument Cluster), but not the steering angle sensor. (more on that later). The reciepent vechicle has disc brakes but no ABS wheel sensors. I intend to use 4 BMW wheel sensors on one pulse trigger wheel, to keep the DME & AGS controllers happy. I have a way around the EWS immobilizer. The K-BUS and all it's devices will not be used. The D-BUS will be retained.

The questions:

1. If the Yaw rate, steering angle, lateral acceleration and brake pressure sensors are disconnected from the ABS/DSC controller, will the ABS/DSC controller send confusing data to the DME, especially screwing up the drive by wire motor control? I am not concerned about resulting ABS/DSC error codes.

2. Will removing all the K-BUS devices and K-BUS itself, but still using the Instrument Cluster (a K-BUS connected device) cause any problems in the instrument cluster or pass through signals to to the CAN-BUS?

It would be a "Home Run" if someone had the answers to these questions, but it's such a weird application I am probably pioneering here! Even if someone could provide some sources for information it would be a great help. I have www.bmwtis.com and I don't mind the $30 fee for a day, but I don't know whats there or what to download!

Wayne
you forgot to mention what car you're trying to transplant it to...Methinks this would be an easier job on an '04 525 than on an 06 with the newer engines. Also, why would you want to downgrade to the 5-spd auto? And, having done an engine transplant into my old E36, I ask why on earth wouldn't you just look for a 530 instead? If you're going to do a transplant, drop in an S54 instead!
Old 10-02-2008, 10:09 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by fvicente' post='683766' date='Oct 2 2008, 02:07 PM
you forgot to mention what car you're trying to transplant it to...Methinks this would be an easier job on an '04 525 than on an 06 with the newer engines. Also, why would you want to downgrade to the 5-spd auto? And, having done an engine transplant into my old E36, I ask why on earth wouldn't you just look for a 530 instead? If you're going to do a transplant, drop in an S54 instead!
+1 my thoughts as well...
Old 10-02-2008, 10:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Gee wellison,

To do all that, needs high tech skills and a lot of BMW expertize.

The M54B30 engine is well know but I'm not sure about the trans.

This from BMW AG TIS at Nov. 06

The 6-speed automatic transmissions were jointly developed by BMW and ZF (Zahnradfabrik Friedrichshafen).
> E60, E61, E63, E64 before 09/2005 [system overview ...]
> E60, E61, E63, E64 from 09/2005 [system overview ...]
The automatic transmission is either standard or special equipment (option 205).
So as to be compatible with the engines with higher torques, the automatic transmissions are designed with different
strengths. The automatic transmissions thus differ, e.g. through different torque converters.
Depending on the engine fitted, the following 6-speed automatic transmissions are fitted:
- GA6HP19Z (designed for maximum torque of 400 Nm)
- GA6HP19Z TU (designed for maximum torque of 400 Nm)
- GA6HP26Z (designed for maximum torque of 600 Nm)

Good luck on your project.

(Technical updates, e.g. of transmissions, are indicated with the letters "TU".)
Old 10-02-2008, 10:47 AM
Members

I was trying to save myself from some guffaws!

I have built many V8 powered hot rods, but want to move the hot rod community to new technology. So, the target car is a 1969 Rambler. I have always owned BMW's and have posted several times on this forum. This will be a real challenge! I don't have the donor car yet (2001 330), but the front & rear sub frames are very close to being a "mild" modification to the Rambler uni-body. If that doesn't work I have a plan B. So everyone has to "Think Outside the Box" on this one.

Thanks Again All,

Wayne

Originally Posted by fvicente' post='683766' date='Oct 2 2008, 11:07 AM
Old 10-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wellison' post='683752' date='Oct 2 2008, 07:54 PM

The questions:

Wayne
Very interesting project! Make sure you buy the following discs on Ebay or elsewhere:

TIS for technical background info
WDS for wiring information
ETK for parts, or use realoem.com

I'm affraid the DME will not ignite the engine when the ESP unit is giving serious error messages, I'd keep the steering angle sensor connected electronically and just put it somewhere in a spare space.

Good luck and let us know about the progress you make + pictures please!
Old 10-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wellison' post='683752' date='Oct 2 2008, 07:54 PM
And the brake pressure sensor can be simulated by using 2 resistive dividers. It has 2 analog outputs, one of them inverted for redundancy. Just measure the 2 output levels in "normal" state and simulate by reference voltages when brake pressure is no longer measured.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

I keep my mouth shot after this!

My favorite car as a small kid was the Rambler, even as a "Matchbox"-car.

Attached Thumbnails M54B30 Engine & ZF 5HP-19 Transplant-rambler_2.jpg  
Old 10-02-2008, 12:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by wellison' post='683794' date='Oct 2 2008, 02:47 PM
I was trying to save myself from some guffaws!

I have built many V8 powered hot rods, but want to move the hot rod community to new technology. So, the target car is a 1969 Rambler. I have always owned BMW's and have posted several times on this forum. This will be a real challenge! I don't have the donor car yet (2001 330), but the front & rear sub frames are very close to being a "mild" modification to the Rambler uni-body. If that doesn't work I have a plan B. So everyone has to "Think Outside the Box" on this one.

Thanks Again All,

Wayne
ah, that makes it different. I thought you were trying to drop it into an E60.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:47 AM
Members

Thanks everyone for your replys!

I am looking for a donor car now. I need to find a salvage dealer who will go to the insurance auction for me.

Wayne