E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

m3 v. e60

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 02:56 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Congrats Diamond! I went from an '08 550 sports package and sport auto transmission to the E90 M3. As noted above, the interior is a bit smaller but not too small. And I'm 6'3" so it can fit tall folks without any issues. Back seat leg room if you have passengers is roughly the same. The coupe you have on order actually has a bit more rear leg room though getting in the back seat is more of a challenge on the coupe. One thing to note, I have heard of coupe drivers commenting on how large the doors are. They are noticeably larger than the sedan doors. Not a big issue but some have commented on opening the door in tight parking spots...

The trunk is the biggest change in terms of space vs the E60 so no fitting four dead hookers in the M3! I do have the split/folding rear seat option which does allow larger items to be put in the trunk. My car is a sedan so I can't comment on the trunk space of the E92.

In terms of the engine, you will find the response very similar to the V8 in the 550. On both my 550 and the M3, you need to get that big V8 spinning! Once you get the RPM's above 3,500 or so, that's were the power really kicks in. If you are coming from a 335 or 535, could be something which bothers you. But let me tell you, once you get the RPM's up there, you won't regret your decision... Gas mileage is a bit worse on the M3 but I didn't buy either car for economy.

The ride is stiffer than the 550 though not by much. Not surprising as the M3 is definitely more of a sports car than the 5 series is. My M3 has the EDC so put that in Comfort mode for our pothole filled street and it is comparable to the 550 with the Sport button pressed. Just for reference, I always drove the 550 with the Sports button pressed. Put the EDC in Normal or Sport mode and thats where you really feel the stiffer suspension.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

^
Old 05-20-2011, 05:11 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kscarrol
Congrats Diamond! I went from an '08 550 sports package and sport auto transmission to the E90 M3. As noted above, the interior is a bit smaller but not too small. And I'm 6'3" so it can fit tall folks without any issues. Back seat leg room if you have passengers is roughly the same. The coupe you have on order actually has a bit more rear leg room though getting in the back seat is more of a challenge on the coupe. One thing to note, I have heard of coupe drivers commenting on how large the doors are. They are noticeably larger than the sedan doors. Not a big issue but some have commented on opening the door in tight parking spots...

The trunk is the biggest change in terms of space vs the E60 so no fitting four dead hookers in the M3! I do have the split/folding rear seat option which does allow larger items to be put in the trunk. My car is a sedan so I can't comment on the trunk space of the E92.

In terms of the engine, you will find the response very similar to the V8 in the 550. On both my 550 and the M3, you need to get that big V8 spinning! Once you get the RPM's above 3,500 or so, that's were the power really kicks in. If you are coming from a 335 or 535, could be something which bothers you. But let me tell you, once you get the RPM's up there, you won't regret your decision... Gas mileage is a bit worse on the M3 but I didn't buy either car for economy.

The ride is stiffer than the 550 though not by much. Not surprising as the M3 is definitely more of a sports car than the 5 series is. My M3 has the EDC so put that in Comfort mode for our pothole filled street and it is comparable to the 550 with the Sport button pressed. Just for reference, I always drove the 550 with the Sports button pressed. Put the EDC in Normal or Sport mode and thats where you really feel the stiffer suspension.
Thanks man. The 550 was my dream for awhile until I got a taste of the m3. I was hoping it would be a bit faster than the 550 but the 550 is no slouch so if it has the same feel of power in an even smaller package Ill be happy. I agree about the trunk being an absolute MONSTER in the e60. Fortunately I have no need for a trunk or rear seats so it does not really matter. I am 6'0 so I am hoping room is just fine.

I have to think one you wind it out to 7500 and above rpms the thing pulls harder up top than the 550. The pull is great in the n62 but dies off toooo early at 6500rpm IMO. Nice to wind it out for 2000k more rpms in the M.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:04 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Diamond
Thanks man. The 550 was my dream for awhile until I got a taste of the m3. I was hoping it would be a bit faster than the 550 but the 550 is no slouch so if it has the same feel of power in an even smaller package Ill be happy. I agree about the trunk being an absolute MONSTER in the e60. Fortunately I have no need for a trunk or rear seats so it does not really matter. I am 6'0 so I am hoping room is just fine.

I have to think one you wind it out to 7500 and above rpms the thing pulls harder up top than the 550. The pull is great in the n62 but dies off toooo early at 6500rpm IMO. Nice to wind it out for 2000k more rpms in the M.
Sorry if I was not as clear as I should have been. Did not mean to imply that the M3 wasn't faster than the E60 550, it is!! I was purely speaking to the feeling of the power, how the engine feels when you step on it...
Old 05-21-2011, 04:39 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kscarrol
Sorry if I was not as clear as I should have been. Did not mean to imply that the M3 wasn't faster than the E60 550, it is!! I was purely speaking to the feeling of the power, how the engine feels when you step on it...
Sweet words I am glad to hear. Never enough speed. Coming from a 530 anything including a new civic would be faster but I feel once you hit the 400hp mark, that will never really get "dated" as far as power. I feel we are encroaching the peak of these power wars and the increases will be in milage and efficiency instead of power in years to come. I am happy to hit the 400 mark and be satisfied!