E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M-Sport suspension or non-sport+DD on bad roads?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 02:12 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

First the preamble...

I am hoping from some feedback from UK or Irish E60 owners in particular but this question might apply to others who live in countries with a mix of reasonable new roads and crumbling old B-roads. Here in Ireland, we have a few newer dual carriageways and motorways but the majority of the road network consists of very patchy, potholed roads with appalling surfaces and camber. Many of the country roads are just very thin layers of asphalt put down on what were once ancient trails. The surface is constantly breaking up collapsing (especially in the winter months with rain and frost) - they patch them up with loose chippings and tar in the summer months.

To be fair to the government, they are spending billions of Euros every year building new dual carriageways and motorway which is a good priority to have. But still, Ireland has a significant rural population so the amount of small B-roads we have is very high compared to many other parts of Europe. It will take a few more decades before the entire road network is up to snuff.

In the meanwhile...

This is a question for those of you with the M-Sport suspension and 18" RFT (not the sports suspension and not the m-sport aerodynamic kit).

How harsh is the Msport suspension over poor roads? I am sure the handling is wonderful but is the suspension very inforgiving when you hit bumps and ridges on poor roads? Usually on taught suspensions, the driver doesn't feel the pain as much (as he/she is 'bracing for impact') but the passengers, particularly the back-seat ones, are bounced and rattled. For those of you with M-sport, do you get frequent complaints? Do you need to keep apologising to your passengers when you hit the rough spots?

I am considering purchasing a 535d/535i post-facelift and like the look of the M-sport a lot. I have an E90 320d currently (non-sport) with 17" RFT and my passengers, especially my girlfriend, just hate travelling in that car on country drives as they are jostled around far too much (although they love the car on good roads, it's wonderful).

How does the M-sport E60 compare? It's a slightly bigger car, so it might be ok?

BTW, The other option I am considering for the E60 is the normal suspension + dynamic drive + 17" RFT? It's as expensive as the M-sport as an option but doesn't look as much of a batmobile.
Has anyone driven that combination? How is it? Is it comfortable on poor roads? Does dynamic drive tighten it up enough? Do you lose handling feel?
Old 11-27-2006, 03:22 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='361016' date='Nov 27 2006, 01:12 PM
First the preamble...

I am hoping from some feedback from UK or Irish E60 owners in particular but this question might apply to others who live in countries with a mix of reasonable new roads and crumbling old B-roads. Here in Ireland, we have a few newer dual carriageways and motorways but the majority of the road network consists of very patchy, potholed roads with appalling surfaces and camber. Many of the country roads are just very thin layers of asphalt put down on what were once ancient trails. The surface is constantly breaking up collapsing (especially in the winter months with rain and frost) - they patch them up with loose chippings and tar in the summer months.

To be fair to the government, they are spending billions of Euros every year building new dual carriageways and motorway which is a good priority to have. But still, Ireland has a significant rural population so the amount of small B-roads we have is very high compared to many other parts of Europe. It will take a few more decades before the entire road network is up to snuff.

In the meanwhile...

This is a question for those of you with the M-Sport suspension and 18" RFT (not the sports suspension and not the m-sport aerodynamic kit).

How harsh is the Msport suspension over poor roads? I am sure the handling is wonderful but is the suspension very inforgiving when you hit bumps and ridges on poor roads? Usually on taught suspensions, the driver doesn't feel the pain as much (as he/she is 'bracing for impact') but the passengers, particularly the back-seat ones, are bounced and rattled. For those of you with M-sport, do you get frequent complaints? Do you need to keep apologising to your passengers when you hit the rough spots?

I am considering purchasing a 535d/535i post-facelift and like the look of the M-sport a lot. I have an E90 320d currently (non-sport) with 17" RFT and my passengers, especially my girlfriend, just hate travelling in that car on country drives as they are jostled around far too much (although they love the car on good roads, it's wonderful).

How does the M-sport E60 compare? It's a slightly bigger car, so it might be ok?

BTW, The other option I am considering for the E60 is the normal suspension + dynamic drive + 17" RFT? It's as expensive as the M-sport as an option but doesn't look as much of a batmobile.
Has anyone driven that combination? How is it? Is it comfortable on poor roads? Does dynamic drive tighten it up enough? Do you lose handling feel?

Maybe I'm wrong but, it's the first time I heard that Msport suspension is different to the sport suspension.

The M and/or sport suspension is very inforgiving, the RFTs aren't at all. :thumbsdown:
Old 11-27-2006, 03:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='361022' date='Nov 27 2006, 12:22 PM
it's the first time I heard that Msport suspension is different to the sport suspension.
US market has "sport" suspension and no M Sport available.

ABC
Old 11-27-2006, 04:09 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='361024' date='Nov 27 2006, 02:45 PM
US market has "sport" suspension and no M Sport available.

ABC
Yes, but I think M and sport suspension is alike
At least the lowering is the same in both of them.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='361025' date='Nov 27 2006, 01:09 PM
Yes, but I think M and sport suspension is alike
At least the lowering is the same in both of them.
Hmmm... news to me but I guess we'll be told by a stateside driver...

ABC
Old 11-27-2006, 05:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Le Mans Blue 525d M-Sport Auto.

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='361016' date='Nov 27 2006, 06:12 AM
First the preamble...

In the meanwhile...

Hi
You do get a firm ride with the M-Sport model but I have had no complaints from my passengers so far. Before I bought my motor I took an SE model with 17" RFT's for a test drive and to be honest I could not tell the difference between the two models. I think a lot of the firmness is due to the run flats, I will be looking to put normal tyres on when RTF's go bald.
For my money the killer looks of the M-Sport are worth the firm ride.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by mbe60' post='361039' date='Nov 27 2006, 02:05 PM
Hi
You do get a firm ride with the M-Sport model but I have had no complaints from my passengers so far. Before I bought my motor I took an SE model with 17" RFT's for a test drive and to be honest I could not tell the difference between the two motors. I think a lot of the firmness is due to the run flats, I will be looking to put normal tyres on when RTF's go bald.
For my money the killer looks of the M-Sport are worth the firm ride.
Thanks for this info. That is very encouraging to hear. I really like the M-sport look as well but don't want to have serious regrets over the suspension. Of course the roads in the UK are quite a bit better than our crap (except maybe for the more remote parts of Wales and Scotland).

Incidentally, for those who have commented on the sports vs m-sport suspension.

- they are quite different suspension systems (the m-sport borrows a lot of suspension components from the M5, the normal sports suspension just has shorter, stiffer springs)
- the m-sport is not available in the US at all (which drives our brethren nuts)
- both are lower than standard but believe it or not the M-sport is not quite as low as the sports suspension (notice that the M5 rides a bit high also)
- the sports pack in the US includes sports suspension + active roll stabilitization (a.k.a. Dynamic Drive) as standard for that package. In Europe, Dynamic drive is available with standard or sport suspension (but not M-sport) and it is an expensive option ... ?3300 here
- in the US you order an M-aero kit which can be fitted at the port or by the dealer (usually outsourced). This consists of the front and rear bumper only (no M-style suspension)
Old 11-27-2006, 06:06 AM
Members

My Ride: Just gone-520d m sport- Jet Black- Dakota Leather black- AluCube interior, On order- F10 520d SE-Titanium Silver

Having owned and driven a 520d MSport in Ireland for the last 10 mths I felt I should try and help with your dilemma. The best way I can explain how the MSport handles over our variety of road surfaces is to say that i have never been dissapointed with comfort levels nor have front or rear seat passengers complained. Yeah, you feel the odd pot hole and speed bumps of any significant size must be taken as a snails pace however on balance the dymanics of the car outweigh these minor irritations.

I think the overall decision comes down to whether you think the MSport cost premium is justified for what you get and I certainly do. Having test driven various non MSport e60s I can confirm that the difference in ride over varying road surfaces is not a significant enough factor to dissuade one from choosing MSport if the package otherwise appeals.

One caveat- I haven't experienced that fancy dynamic drive you refer to. (witchcraft I say!!)
Old 11-27-2006, 06:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BRAD' post='361048' date='Nov 27 2006, 03:06 PM
Having owned and driven a 520d MSport in Ireland for the last 10 mths I felt I should try and help with your dilemma.
Thanks BRAD! Very useful info.
It's impossible to get a good feel for this on test drives. I wish BMW had a facility to take a test car out for a couple of days like some of the other brands are beginning to offer.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='361043' date='Nov 27 2006, 02:33 PM
- in the US you order an M-aero kit which can be fitted at the port or by the dealer (usually outsourced). This consists of the front and rear bumper only (no M-style suspension)
And sills? And no pointeless M badges or gear lever...

ABC

Quick Reply: M-Sport suspension or non-sport+DD on bad roads?